Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: RocamboleGarlic topsets `Family Heirloom From the 40's`

Posted by debraq z7LI*NY (debra630@optonline.net) on
Sat, Apr 1, 06 at 9:14

Hi, I was sent a bunch of garlic topsets that the person told me were from her family from the 1940's. She called them ROCAMBOLE Garlic Topsets.
I planted them ASAP as per her instructions and they are now about 15" tall & gorgeous, still in the house in a container.
But I lost the rest of the directions, :(
Please, if you remember sending me these, tell me again what I do now, and then after the summer to collect the garlic bulbs.
Thanks so much. I wish I remembered your name!
Debra

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: RocamboleGarlic topsets `Family Heirloom From the 40's

Hi, Debra!!! It was me. : ) Since they've been inside your house,expose them to outside gradually so they get use to the sunlight for a few days. Transplant them in your garden as soon as they look adjusted. This August or so, when the tops have yellowed a bit, dig them up, let them rest in a shaded spot for 10-14 days, then separate the cloves, and replant in your garden. Leave them there until next year about late July, and you will have bulbs with cloves you can use for cooking. Then, to keep yourself supplied, keep planting back some of the mature cloves for faster harvest. The topsets take longer to grow. You can plant the topsets you will get, or share them with others, like I do. Hope this helps. Treasa

o

Oh, Thank you so much, Treasa!
I didn't keep records of who sent what when I first started trading, somewhere, somehow I misplaced the directions you gave me.
I am so happy that you saw this post, and isn't it amazing that you were the first to answer me....
I will print this out and paste it in my garden journal, so I won't lose it again.
I can't believe how big and strong the topsets are. They almost look like gigantic chives!
Thanks again,
Deb :)

o

Hi Debra,
Do you by any chance have any garlic left. I don't have much of a traid list but If there is anything that I can help you with I will give it a try...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here