Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freeze tonight

Posted by smokymist 6B EastTN (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 08 at 11:17

Yeah it's coming again. It was 82 last Friday. The last time the weatherman called for a frost a week or so ago I am so thankful I covered things up because we got a hard frost and my mother lost some of her plants.
Now they are calling for a FREEZE tonight. I went out last night ( when they were calling for patchy frost) and covered everything up with sheets ( like 50 sheets no kidding). it's rained this morning, so what has happened ? all my sheets are wet.
will the wet sheets damage my plants when it freezes ? Will I have to go out, gather up all those sheets, dry them and put them back out ? I will if I have to..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freeze tonight

I think so since the wet sheets would leave any foliage you have up very vulnerable, if nothing else I would imagine you'd get frostburn on any green you've got up.

Kathy

o

I'm with you! My yard looks very.... strange... like Halloween ghosts gone striped/flowered and paisley! (old sheets covering all my prize posessions up!)

Back in Feb when I did the same sheet cover up and it snowed, I left the sheets on the plants for 3 days and they were just fine. HOWEVER, they were not SOAKING wet either, just damp'ish and during the day the wind would pretty much dry them up. Personally if the sheets are very wet, I hate to say it but I wouldn't chance it. :(

Good luck to you!!

o

Maybe just run em through the spin cycle. I wonder if you did that, and then put them back out, if they would just dry themselves enough b4 night time.

Hmmm...glad you said something. I have several different named lilacs that have a couple of blooms for the first time ever this year...including a yellow one I got in trade 4 years ago. guess I too will cover at least some special stuff, and tie the pup, or keep her in for the night. I'm sure she would just drag to covers off if allowed to be loose...sigh.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here