Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with How To Deal with Slope in Yard

Posted by kmpsmom 7/DC Suburbs (aba563@aol.com) on
Wed, Apr 23, 08 at 11:53

Ok, maybe this isn't the right place to post but you guys are sooo wise I wanted to take advantage of that. Half of my yard is sloped and it's making the planning for how to plant difficult. Any ideas of what to do? I probably need to build more lasagna beds that I can protect from my two dogs. Thanks! Ann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with How To Deal with Slope in Yard

that I can protect from my two dogs.
being the proud owner of 3 big outside country doggies I see that as a far greater problem than planning plantings on a slope....yes...lasagna beds would be good I'd think.

I had a friend who last season laid down black plastic to smother out all vegetation for a while in the hottest months on a large and too steep to mow slope. (I would have used Round Up or its generic myself). She then laid landscape cloth on it all, pinning it to the ground and overlapping it well. she then then laid some livestock panels at the top and bottom to try and anchor some of the mulch. She then cut holes in the cloth, took out some of the poor soil, and planted her plants with new 'purchased' soil. She then mulched it all with shaved bark mulch...purchased from a saw mill, and had a dump truck of it delivered. She then edged it all with creek rock, that she had handy...though it was a back breaking job to place it all. She wore me out just telling me what she was doing....it was a massive undertaking...one I could not have had the staying power to get completed as quickly as she did.

She has one really really nice big, well prepared, easy to maintain bed. She lost some of her little sedums due to drought and not keeping enough water to them while they were getting established.

Sounds like you have a big and wonderful project at hand.

Sue

o

Sue: It does sound like a backbreaking project. I am just tired of looking at wannabe grass and mud when it rains. I guess I'll have to build a raised bed to keep the dogs out...but what else do I have the summer for? Thanks for your thoughts, keep them coming! Ann

o

I have a sloped place beside my house. I had to tier it because dirt and mulch would not stay on it. It really depends on how steep it is. I don't have any suggestions on how to keep the dogs out.

o

I am planning to garden the slope that faces my house in the back,it is just wasted space and a pain to cut,so I figure it will be nice to look out the window and see flowers instead of boring old grass. I am going to try to use cardboard to smother the grass and plant through the cardboard with out disturbing the soil too much,I am hoping this works! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here