Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

4/13/08 Question of the Week

Do you have certain perennials you cut to enjoy inside when they are in season?

Do you grow any annuals specifically with cutting in mind to enjoy some inside?

What all do you enjoy as cut flowers?

Some springtime blooms that are always cut and enjoyed inside are hyacinths, and daffodils (of course). The hyacinths smell like heaven and some of the daffs are fragrant too. Then lilacs(fragrant), and now I have fragrant viburnums in bloom which I will enjoy cutting for the first time this season.

Then the season moves on to irises, and peonies.

Often at different times I will pick some of the little wild violets and enjoy them in a little mini vase, or an old bottle/container of some sort.

Later in the season, I like floating a couple of Hansa Rugosa rose blooms in a rose bowl, for color and fragrance.

Oh...and I can't forget the mini bouquets of the many varieties of fragrant evergreen dianthus...another favorite.

Cosmos is my one favorite annual cut flower though the cut blooms don't last long. They are usually so prolific though that I can pick them fresh every other day or so.

I'd love to hear what all everyone else cuts to enjoy inside.

Later in the summer I enjoy picking a lot of the wild stuff, but that is better left for a discussion later in the year.

I need to do a bit of catching up on last weeks thread...here sometime a little later.

Sue

Comments (8)

• luvsgrtdanes
    15 years ago

I never have much in the way of early spring flowers but as the season progresses I always try my hand at sweet peas and there is nothing better than Peonies. One bloom fills the vase! I always save the Iris for my MIL, they are her favorite.

I have a few fragrant roses that always wind up in a vase. I do zinnia specifically for cutting along with sunflowers.

The end of summer are the prizes...Dahlias!! The best for cutting and what a variety you can get!

• booberry85
    15 years ago

I'm primarily a veggie grower. I do grow zinnias and like to make little bouquets out of them. I do grow cosmos, daffodils and peonies too, but have never thought to bring them inside.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The end of summer are the prizes...Dahlias!! The best for cutting and what a variety you can get!
    Hi Ronnie,
    Do you dig and store your dahlias then from season to season?
    When dug, can you see the eyes after they eye up? Do you cut them apart for storing then? I so agree dahlias are such lovely cut flowers.

I do grow cosmos, daffodils and peonies too, but have never thought to bring them inside.
    Though not all peonies are as fragrant as others, a good fragrant one will perfume a good sized area, or a small room...like my kitchen. One does however have to be careful of ants being on them. I usually just enjoy one or two blooms at a time, since they are not very long lasting when cut, and due to ants.

I little bouquet of Bright Lights cosmos is like a small ray of sunshine.

Sue

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

Lilacs are my favorite flower and over the years I have gone to great lengths to bring a bouquet of lilacs inside. In this home my neighbors have a long lilac hedge so I throw open the windows and inhale the aroma. They are also generous and allow me to cut some for bouquets.

Several people have posted some very beautiful bouquets on the winter sowing site. My bouquets are generally fairly simple.

I find it difficult to cut my flowers for myself as I spend more time outside than inside. But I love to share my blooms with others and have three little neighbor girls who take home a small bouquet most days.

In the spring I have a large bed of yellow tulips that I cut and distribute to all my neighbors and a few other friends.

I have been redoing my beds and creating a cutting bed with some divided perennials and will plant zinnias, cosmos, snap dragons, amaranthus, salvia, scabiosa, verbena and other annuals. Perhaps someday I will have lush beautiful bouquets inside.

• jim_6b
    15 years ago

I will sometimes bring in daffodils and pink hyacinths, but not to many because they make my DW sneeze.
    Any flower that produces seed are left in the yard to be enjoyed and then all seed are collected to be given away.
    jim_6b

• luvsgrtdanes
    15 years ago

Hi Sue, I do dig my dahlias in the fall. I didn't split mine up last year just to busy. I stored them in the basement wrapped in saran wrap and stored in a brown box. Not to many were mush, probably all would have been OK if I had checked them sooner. I just took some cuttings for the first time and hoping they root. I'm going to try my hand at splitting this year so I can trade and share them. Do you grow them? It has become quite an obssesion for me. I have 40 started with a few more on the way!! Yikes!

Gosh Mnwsgal I so forgot about the lilacs!! A childhood favorite of mine, they were always the ones we made a crown of, for the Blessed Mother in the May procession in Catholic school!! My mother's love!!

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I find it difficult to cut my flowers for myself as I spend more time outside than inside.
    Aren't bouquets like bring a bit of the outside, inside to enjoy?

Any flower that produces seed are left in the yard to be enjoyed and then all seed are collected to be given away.
    Well aren't you a glutton for punishment Jim?

Do you grow them?
    No, but I have before and really enjoyed them.

• chrizty
    15 years ago

I love bringing peonies inside! they smell wonderful. so do tall garden phlox!
    I also like putting calendula n bachlor buttons together.
    ditch llies are my fav. ive been picking then since i was a small child from my grams garden. im still picking grams flowers n bringing them inside :)
    lucky yins have lilacs!! i love the smell n there so pretty! i have one thats the size of a twig lol hope it grows fast, started seeds for lilacs too. ill be picking them some day!:)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH