Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwtamara

Do you eBay?

gwtamara
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

The iVillage producers are working on a piece about people selling things on eBay, etc., to help pay the bills. While you may not specifically be doing this because of the current economy, I know quite a few of you are avid ebayers -- so, any tried-and-true tips that you have would also be welcomed. Thanks for your help!

Tamara

GardenWeb Community Manager

In light of the recession, are you selling anything on eBay or Craigslist (or in a yard sale) to help make ends meet? If so, what are you selling? Do you have any selling tips for others interested in making some extra cash by selling some of their possessions?

Comments (7)

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

Great thread Tamara! Although I haven't yet sold or bought anything via ebay/craigslist,I am planning on selling some old toys we have here and a few others on ebay to try to bring in a little play money. I am not planning on trying craigslist,I am not sure how I feel about meeting strangers in parking lots or someone coming to my home that I don't know,so I am going to go with ebay because I like the paypal thing much better. I am going to watch this thread,I am sure there will be some great tips posted! :)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

I don't sell either, but find I love to let my fingers do the walking through the world's largest on line yard sale. There usually isn't much else to do at 2 or 3 AM. Sorry...not much help I know.

Do you have any selling tips for others interested in making some extra cash by selling some of their possessions?
    Try and either have a way that the buyer can see what the exact shipping will be by filling in one's zip code, or else be sure and list exactly what the shipping and handling is. I won't bid on something if I am clueless about what it will cost (exactly)to ship. Combining shipping on multiple sales is a good thing too sometimes.
    Making the shipping within reason is a good thing too. It sure is not a bargain to buy something just to end up being charged excessiveon S&H.

Sue...off to pack more plants....sigh

• chrizty
    15 years ago

i dont sell, my hubs buys from e-bay, his friend sold on it, he had an account with UPS for shipping, thats a good idea cause they do pick ups, if you cant get out to mail. i dont even think he went to the post office, just called in a pick up, n they'd come out n get it.
    i belive Fed-ex n the USPS dose the same,

• medontdo
    15 years ago

i know this sounds dumb but hubs bought a hoodie on some "great" site. and it had a emblem on it. they said the emblem was big, we got it, it was small. so if i was you i'd try to use something everyday maybe like a ruler or something like that for the pic that way people know what they are getting. and for the flowers, maybe quarters and such. next to them. LOL that way they will know, i was thinking about that and asking my hubs to do them for me, when mine are growing if they all grow well!! LOL
    just an idea!! LOL

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

I couldn't resist posting the link below....luv it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ebay by Wierd Al

• medontdo
    15 years ago

that was sooo good!! i had to send it to hubs!! LOL

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Tamara, if you read this..I think this would be a great post, and would get some great responses on the Brugmansia forum, AS most of the people there buy from, and discuss ebay a lot.

I am planning on trying to sell some of my wintersowing this year to try and help pay for food..I just dont know how we are going to make it if prices go up much more. I also plan on doing a yard sale, and getting rid of alot of things that have been sitting in the attic since our move.
    Sorry I have only used ebay once, and wasnt too happy..and now people are asking WAY more then the cost of postage. I paid something like 12.00 for shipping and handling, and when the package came, the postage was less then 2.00..I just think that is wrong !

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus