Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaruzicka

ugh..wood spiders

lindaruzicka
16 years ago

I was gardening today..(that's right a nice balmy 68 degrees!) and moving around rocks and out popped some baby wood spiders. They weren't that bad but their momma was about the size of a quarter. I let them find a new home and I just moved a rock around it....ugh...I hate spiders! "wiggling around brushing off shirt and pants"

Comments (16)

• Ann
    16 years ago

Linda:
    I hate spiders too! In picking up clothes in my daughtyer's room one day and when I picked her pajamas off the ground a HUGE spider (don't know what kind - don't care) jumped out. This thing was probably at least an inch across (not including the legs. Just thinking about it is making me twitch!
    Ann

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I guess the thing is technically called a wolf spider, which bite, but we always called them wood spiders because they like to hide in woodpiles.

I would've twitched too Ann, if that happened to me!

• medontdo
    16 years ago

ewww last year i got bite by a wolf spider!! OWWWWW!!! them fangs hurrt like heck!!
    when i was taking the tops off of my ws jugs, i kept finding all these spiders in them, ugh kept creeping me out, they were all brown, and smallish, definately not wolf. but my brother got bit by a brown recluse and now has mrsa all over his legs, so of course spiders just really creep me out BIG time!! i sooo want to kill them!! dont' though!! LOL i'm still so creeped out!! **shuddering**

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

We get lots of them in our wood pile,never bothered me much,but I could see how if your afraid of spiders they would!

• proudgm_03
    16 years ago

I will take a snake over a spider any day. I've found two spiders down in my WS jugs and it's a wonder I didn't throw jug and all. Ugh. Last year I found a spider in my bathroom that was 4 inches across. It was black and gray. I screamed and my daughter came to see what was wrong. She screamed and my DH came to see what was wrong and then he had to go on a frantic spider search because there was no way I was staying in the house with that thing still alive!

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

Yikes 4 inches across? Imagine the bugs that one could handle!...lol..I used to be terrified of spiders,now I sort of like them I guess.Especially the orb spiders,I cant wait for them to start their webs!

• daffodillady
    16 years ago

I have been bit 4 different times by spiders since I have moved to Alabama. And every time I was playing in the plants, but at different houses!! It swells up a huge area, turns a dark purplish-red and burns like crazy!! And takes about 4 days to get over the worst- I usually end up going to bed for a day or two cause it hurts to move the affected limbs. It doesn't have a pus-type head, just a tiny blister looking spot where the bite occurred. I never see the same type of spider twice, so I can't figure out who the villian is- LOL!!. But I refuse to be driven back in the house by some little creepy-crawly!!!! Garfield needs to smack my spiders!! LOL!!

• medontdo
    16 years ago

LOL ya, i know the feeling!! just put a vinegar soaked cottonball on it and tape it over it and let the vinegar do its majic!! LOL and stink like heck!! :')) that's what idid when i got bit by that wolf spider, no problems, only swelled a little and got red for abt ......maybe an hour or so. i did learn to wear them rose gloves when messing around in tall grass!! LOL and pulling weeds!! :'))

• proudgm_03
    16 years ago

My granddaughters and I were out clearing out the garden last year when we found a black widow. That did it for the gardening that day. I was bit by an unknown spider one night ( I swatted him and then put him in a tissue is the only way I know it was a spider). The spot got really sore for awhile.

• sassybutterfly_2008
    16 years ago

ughhh.. gives me the willies..lol We have Black Widow's here too... as long as I don't have anything lying around for them to camp under they seem to stay at the boundaries of the yard... But was also have Copperheads slithering thru the grass all the time during Spring.. NOT fun.. I definitely have to wear shoes in the garden these days!!

• chrizty
    16 years ago

i get tons of the wolf spiders, i always called them wood spiders too. they get in my home alot too, n yes they bite! grrrrr. i always find them in my tub! like i realy wanna shower with a wolf spider! lol
    i dont mind spiders, love the banana garden spiders but the wolfs are too much to take.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

so today i was clearing out talla's fairy garden space, and who do ya think i run into?? yep!! the big ol wolf spider!! he decided to go the other way (thank GOD) but i tell ya!! i was too freaked!! but i thought i'd let ya know that!! he didnt bite me :'))

• chrizty
    15 years ago

you got lucky they leave some nasty bites!
    do you have pics of your fairy garden?

• medontdo
    15 years ago

we haven't gotten onto it yet, its a beginner, LOL this will be our first year!! WOO HOO!!! we are very excited!! so right now we are in "demolition" stage,, LOL and kinda waiting for what else is coming up, LOL that i have forgotten about. LOL
    ya know, in the rr we are having "just starting" a fairies one pixie is putting it on, she's very sweet!! and the bunch is really really nice!! i'm hoping linda will come back to this one as well!! **nudge**
    talla wants two of them gardens, one for winter so they can be warm in the winter, she's got a sweet heart!! LOL :'))

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"perking up ears"..RR fairies?...."going to check out RR"

• medontdo
    15 years ago

awesome!! i see ya joined!! :')) YAY!!!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations