Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

Do you listen to and enjoy the song of the mockingbird?

I often ask this of friends. more often than not, their reply is that they don't know. How can one not know? They wonder if a bird is mocking other birds, that one maybe cannot tell for sure it is a Mockingbird.

Well...given any song, by any artist, if Elvis sang it, could you likely tell it was Elvis and not the original artist? That is how easy I think it is to identify ole Mr Mockingbird himself. I love to hear him sing, but if he is close by, and sings the same tune (say for 15 minutes or more), it tends to make me nutso...much like a song being played over, and over, and over. Has anyone else ever been bothered by too much of the mockingbird's singing at one time?

Sue...just curious

Comments (9)

• medontdo
    15 years ago

i love to listen to them all, but it kinda depends on the day... some days i can only handle it for a bit, and others, i can listen to it alll day, :'))

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

We had a cottage when I was growing up and we heard those and the catbirds. I can never get enough of any bird song.

I know last year after we moved into this house, I was outside about 5:30am. I was on my back patio and it was just before sunup. All of a sudden, all the daybreak birds (know which ones I mean?) starting chirping from all over and it echoed down to me. It was awesome!!!

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

I prefer any bird singing over the noise from the trampoline 2 doors up! :)

• SusanC
    15 years ago

I am originally from Texas, where the mockingbird is the state bird, and we all enjoyed listening to him there. We moved to L.A. when I was 10, and there was a mockingbird that gave concerts just outside my bedroom window in the wee hours of the morning. He was a true virtuoso and gave me regular performances until I grew up and left home. We have mockingbirds in this area, but they tend to avoid urban areas, so I don't hear/see them on a regular basis any more.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well it is after 12:30 AM here and there is one lonely birdie out there, evidently singing to himself, as no one is joining him in song.

• luvsgrtdanes
    15 years ago

Well for me the Mockingbird will always hold a special place in my heart...It is one of my fondest memories as a kid, there was always one in my yard and my father would whistle along with it. It was his favorite song bird!! The day we buried him a Mockingbird sat in the bush the entire mass...again at the cemetery there was one...I for one will never tire of hearing them!! ¢¾

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

When we lived in St. Louis, MO we had a mockingbird that sang outside our bedroom window. I learned to appreciate its cyclic song. Miss hearing it now that we live in MN. Visited St. Louis a couple of weeks ago and was pleased to hear a mockingbird singing at my friend's home.

• daffodillady
    15 years ago

I love the mockers, it makes me laugh to hear the variety of sounds that they can make. And they sound so joyful when they sing....it reminds me that we are supposed to live each day filled with that same joy.....:-)

• west_texas_peg
    15 years ago

I love all birds...don't have many now due to too many feral cats that use my gardens for litter box and sleep in my flowerbeds on my flowers.

The Mockingbirds are fun; love to hear all the various noises they make and the hopping/winging they do when in search of food. One in our neighborhood makes the sound of a squeaky gate hinge. Two summers ago we were blessed with a family of 4; babies followed both parents begging for food.

The Western King Bird has arrived and entertains me while I sit in my back garden under the Hackberry...they dive from the utility lines after flying insects. They are a gutsy bird, taking on buzzards and hawks.

The Collared Doves are courting with daring dives from the top of utility poles.

I love Spring!!
    Peggy

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville