Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bakemom_gw

Arugh

bakemom_gw
15 years ago

The Newbie Seed Project is slowly winding down. For months I have been tolerant of mistakes and failure to follow instructions. But this week takes the cake. Half the envies don't have enough postage and I had to pay postage due .75 on a woefully inadequate envie. Blocked email, private emails, requests for specific seeds...I'm whipped.

These people are getting 40-60 dollars worth of seeds for six stamps. Why oh why can't they follow instructions?

TGIF. I am making tacos and heading out to the garden. Enough of a rant. Another glass of chay chay will help.

Comments (34)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

Half the envies don't have enough postage and I had to pay postage due .75 on a woefully inadequate envie.
    I would then just send them whatever their postage would cover. I'm assuming you have a scale, so for 2 stamps, they could get up to one oz of freebies....oh and if it had postage due on it, I would mark it 'return to sender'. How will they learn otherwise?

Blocked email
    Ignore, since you requested they unblock their email. I think you should further require them to have a member page email link...as it is possible to be unblocked, yet have no link...ie did not check the box to receive emails via GW.

private emails
    Ignore...maybe state the 'rules' every so often in the thread, since some must forget them from the time they read them until the time they scroll down to reply.

requests for specific seeds
    Ignore...might have to state that in your offer, in case you didn't...but I think you did say it was your choice

Have fun in the garden...and tacos always taste good and like my spirits too.

Sue...heading back out

• jim_6b
    15 years ago

Oh Bakemom, I know how you feel! That's why I donated most of my seed to your project last year. After my seed offers in 2007, I swore I would never do it again. I know that people who are new to this site get excited when they see a free seed offer, but they need to slow down and read and maybe get familiar with GW and the different forums and rules. Both you and Sue and others have provided enough information to keep people from being ignorant, but you just can't fix stupid. When I see someone post a seed offer followed by a very detailed list of requirements followed by a reply that says "What do I need to do to get some seed" I want to scream. Just thinking about it is making me twitch. Oh God, where is the duct tape when you need it.
    jim_6b

• jim_6b
    15 years ago

My reply above is a good example as to why I don't post much. I've always been told that if you ain't got nothing good to say, don't say anything. I seldom listen to that advice and have been known to be able to fit both of my feet in my mouth at the same time. I'll try to do better in the future and keep my opinions to myself.
    jim_6b

15 years ago

Heck no Jim...rant if you want...we all can relate and it is best to not hold it all in.

In fact, I was thinking since the questions of the week have turned off pretty slow, I'd just ask what if anything anyone wanted to rant about. I've got a couple...it involves member page set-up.

This side sure is quiet all of a sudden. I wish folks would stop by regularly, even if they are not trading or sharing seeds....rant...lol.

There's still a couple of threads I need to reply to...like your daffs Jim.

Sue...off to now the green slimey s.o.b. bulbs off, where I won't be digging anymore this spring.

• dorisl
    15 years ago

Sue! Can you burn those sob;s with one of those torches?

:)

15 years ago

Can you burn those sob;s with one of those torches?
    I doubt it, and would not trust it killing them. They are from 1-4 inches deep on average. I do plan to try solarizing an area this summer for about 8 weeks. It will be an extention (widening ) of the new bed I'm going to make this spring yet, if I get the sob dug out well enough. If solarizing works, I'll not know it until next Feb. It is does kill them...great...if not, I will just dig them out to extend the bed.

I won't be tilling the soil though as I don't want to turn 100 clumps of 100 bulbs into 10,000 individual bulbs.

A member was telling about that is what happened when a landscaping company came and put in a new lawn for him.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Solarize Soil

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's fine and I love what I do. I just had a meltdown when things are out of control. Thanks for listening. The project marches on. My kids think I am a hero. That's all that matters.

15 years ago

My kids think I am a hero. That's all that matters.
    You are my hero too for all you do.

Bless your heart.

Sue

• slo_garden
    15 years ago

I'm with you, Bakemom! After having several people who responded to my SASBE offer not actually follow through and send me an SASBE or respond to my email asking if they still intended to, I'm seriously annoyed. I won't do this again. Next time I have extra seed, I'll donate it to your Newbie project (LOL).

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

It's always fun when they don't follow your requests. Ya know, the way I see it is we're offering the seed for no more than it takes to get it to them, especially after all the time we've spent gathering them, either though trades, purchase or our own gardens, the least they could do is follow the rules. So far I've not had but a few newbies, or even established members, not follow the rules. Not enough postage? Not many seeds. No mailing label? Not so many seeds- cause then I have to hunt mine out. No bubble envelope? No seeds, I'll use your postage to send you back your empty envelope with a note letting you know that a regular envelope - with or without a piece of bubble wrap- will likely result in the seeds I have being crushed because I don't generally send out many of the smaller, finer seeds I'm greedy and keep most of those for myself :P
    No note or GW ID? You may get a few seeds, but I won't go digging for your trade list to see what your interests are. I have too many BEAPs, plus my own trades and swaps, that come to me to do that. Don't send it to me within two weeks? Well, you just lost out and someone else will enjoy them.

I really hate to sound so harsh, I generally think I'm a rather nice person and generous, but if I'm giving it away, at least respect that and the fact that you want them enough to follow my requests. Doing so will often result in many more seeds than you thought to receive, plus some that you didn't ask for when I check your wants list because I really want to share with someone who can follow my requests.

What gets me is so many not bothering to set up at least a wants list, or give any idea about their gardening zone. Or even a smidgen about who they are and what they enjoy doing. Setting that up doesn't take much time at all. Nor does setting up an email. If you don't want GW mail going to your regular email, set up a free one from yahoo or aol or something. Those things are what really irritates me. Right now my lists are way out of date and need a major overhaul, but there is at least some info about what I enjoy, what kinds of gardens I have and what I'm interested in receiving. I never mind digging through my seed boxes to find things for a trade :) Maybe I'll get the mountain down to hill size and not be so intimidated about working on my haves list then! But seriously, while I'm recovering from the back surgery and can't do much more than sit and walk some, I plant to really work over my haves list. I won't be able to do much in the yard or beds, won't be able to do housework, etc, so I can sit and sort my seeds and get that list into shape :)

Kathy

• sharoncl
    15 years ago

Quick question: I just received some seeds (wrapped in a napkin) in a regular envelope a few days ago, and I'm wondering if I should send my end back the same way? Do some people just not use bubble envelopes, or does it depend on the kind of seed?

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Some people don't know that they should use a bubble mailer and some just don't care. Take the high road and send yours correctly.

• dorisl
    15 years ago

I feel lucky that the few sasbe things I did went pretty well. Couple people never acknowledged the seeds, but they pretty much disappeared on GW anyway, so thats how they roll, right?

I am very careful to limit what I offer to match what I can handle. No way Id ever way to do like bakemom or Jim have done. Id be steaming!

15 years ago

I am very careful to limit what I offer to match what I can handle. No way Id ever way to do like bakemom or Jim have done.
    I hear ya and am with you Doris. I saw your post, and deduced there was 'one' offer and then you were looking for one back-up name...yet got 6 replies...one after you closed the offer.

Wanna learn a tad of HTML so you can close your offers in big red letters so they are noticed?

It really is not hard...if I can do it, anyone can. I taught littleone_fb-Fran...or pointed her to a site that was simple to understand.

Sue

• dorisl
    15 years ago

Thanks, Sue, I took an online course and learned a bunch of html stuff. My next online class is going to be "how to not be too lazy to type html I gotta bunch of email only replies also. It doesnt bother me tho, I posted that Im not replying individually and dont feel bad about that either.

Afterwards I realized that it may have sounded like I had 20 offers. ooooops.

• dorisl
    15 years ago

BTW, Thanks Sue, for the helping HTML code! I made a little html file called "closed" so I can do it myself next time.

15 years ago

You're sure welcome...that a busy body's job ya know...

Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â

• jim_6b
    15 years ago

I was telling my son the other day that I needed to learn HTML code. I install phone systems, voice mail and auto attendant systems, call accounting, paging and other kinds of telephony crap and by the end of the day my brain is fried. My daughter asked my recently to help her with her MP3 player and I couldn't even get it programmed.
    I do like the big red letters so I might give it a try.
    jim_6b

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I used to know HTML, but now I don't. What's the code for big red CLOSED?

• dorisl
    15 years ago

To Bakemom and Jim,

Ive sent you both a text file with the coding for big red letters. You've both shared so many seeds with me and everybody else, Im happy to share the codes.

And ya doesnt has to send me a sasbe or anything!!!

15 years ago

What's the code for big red CLOSED?

Font size=+2

font color=red

I can't write the actual code here because it will not show it...if you know what I mean

This offer is closed!...that is the +2 size

Closed!...that is +3 sized

• jim_6b
    15 years ago

Thank you Doris
    jim_6b

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I thank you too

Thank you!

How about italicized?

• dorisl
    15 years ago

The code for italics is an I between pointy brackets and the beginning of the phrase. at the end of the phrase, use /I between pointy brackets. For boldface us B in place of the I.

like this

• dorisl
    15 years ago

you can do it

like this this is is tricky, you have to be careful about nesting the codes

and even

like this

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This didn't work for me. Can you send me text again please?

15 years ago

will give you italics
    will give you italics

will give you bold
    will give you bold

if you want red
    if you want red

if you want font size +2
    if you want font size+2

15 years ago

It is hard to write the code, so it will show.

Anyway, I messed up on the Bold and italics...they both needed a closing tag...which would be the
    on the italics

and
    on the bold

• dorisl
    15 years ago

Bakemom!
    You Have
    mail!

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This Offer is now Closed

I'm learning!

15 years ago

You might not know how to clear your cache Bakemom, but you are sure mastering HTML. Congrats to you and Jim and to Doris for her wonderful explanation.

• dorisl
    15 years ago

D

15 years ago

â»

• jim_6b
    15 years ago

I got a new toy. Thank you Sue and Doris.
    jim_6b

Sponsored