Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to keep grass from growing?

Posted by lovegrnapples 5 IL (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 27, 09 at 15:26

Okay, I'm sure you looked at the subject & thought I'd gone crazy from the long winter!

Does anyone know of a specific product that I could use to block out grass from growing around a swingset? We plan to top off with rubber mulch.

Hubby had this idea to put a tarp on the grass to see if it would stop the grass from growing--quite the opposite! It worked like a greenhouse. It had the best grass out of the whole lawn. And did I mention the blackbirds thought it was a makeshift birdbath. *sigh. Not what we were hoping for.

I've seen black landscaping material but is there anything better than that?

Thanks in advance for any replies!
Nicole aka lovegrnapples

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to keep grass from growing?

You 'could' spray it with Round-up, but doubt if you want to do that, due to the kiddies.

You 'could' remove the turf/sod....since you will likely want the area to be a bit lower than the surrounding yard.

I would suggest solarizing the area, but it will take some time, during the hottest part of the summer...minimum of 6 weeks...but that would only work if it was a full sun, or almost full sun site.

Once it is killed off well, and the mulch spread, I would suggest using Preen for the Vegetable Garden It is actually 60% Corn Gluten, so if you can find it at a feed supply place, it would be a lot cheaper. I recently got 50 LBS for $20 plus tax. That should stop any seeds from germinating in the mulch or the soil below it.

hth.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Solarize Soil

o

• Posted by dorisl 5 NW Chicago burbs (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 27, 09 at 21:32

put newpaper or cardboard under the mulch. lots of it.

o

Thanks for all ideas,Sue & dorisl.

We thought of just using a sodcutter to remove the grass but were concerned with it growing back.

Lots of cardboard? Is 4 layers (2 flattened boxes lots?) Obviously I have no idea. I guess I should look for how long it takes cardboard to break down.

Thanks for pointing me in a direction!

Nicole

P.S. I'm ready to do somersaults! Most of my WS flowers sprouted & are doing well! It's my 1st year to WS & I'm hooked! :)

o

• Posted by dorisl 5 NW Chicago burbs (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 28, 09 at 18:22

Is 4 layers (2 flattened boxes lots?) Should be OK, the more the better. Maybe put the sunday paper under the cardboard.

:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here