Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Robin down! Robin down!

Posted by chemocurl zone 5/6 S IN (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 28, 09 at 15:40

Furbaby was meandering in the front yard woods when all of a sudden several robins started squawking and going nutso. I had only ever heard birds do that like that once before when there was a snake sunning itself and they spotted it.

Anywho, I soon discovered there was a robin fledgling on the ground and Kiley (pup) was ready to pick it up or at least check it out, when I dragged her away and tied her up...along with the other inquisitive furbaby. I prodded the little bird a bit and it ran with its wings flapping so I guess it was not harmed. I guess the mother (or other family members) will come and teach it how to fly? Any birders here? Can they learn to take off from the ground as easily as if they had taken off from the nest 'up' somewhere?
I don't know where the baby bird is now, but would like to think it will be safe once I let the doggies loose later.

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Robin down! Robin down!

I see that happen a lot and the mom and dad bird will continue to feed the baby.
jim_6b

o

• Posted by dorisl 5 NW Chicago burbs (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 28, 09 at 18:20

Dont worry Sue, baby will be OK.

o

Thanks to both of you. I went out later and walked around the front yard woods a bit near where the baby was last seen, and no parent robins started screaming at me. I let the furbabies free then and there were no further incidents.

Sue

o

i was worried about ours, and we ended up feeding her, she is fine, i thought she was dead and burried her, talla freaked, unburried her, and the next day there she was, with that wierd wing, going in the yard, hopping, and low flying, now she flys all around. but she doesn't land on tabor anymore. :'(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here