Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaruzicka

who else has....

lindaruzicka
15 years ago

fingerNUBS not fingernails from over zealous gardening?.."holding out hands with broken nails"..ain't it great??...."L"

Comments (21)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

Mine snap off, and the rougher edges just get worn off naturally. About once every 2 weeks, I sit down with my Diamond Debbie (file I have had probably 20 years) and shape them all up again...so it can just start all over again.

Sue

• medontdo
    15 years ago

i "used" to have longer nails, but since i started seriously gardening, i have made it a point too keep them short now, they get broken to easily, and flaky!! they kinda break off in flakes or something, LOL Medo

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

I had longer nails in my teens,I keep them at a neat length now. Well they are neat until I get outside...lol...who needs them anyway? :)

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

Yep. Besides the breaking off I can't seem to get all the dirt out from under them. A nail brush just doesn't seem to do the job.

• Ann
    15 years ago

I looked at my hands one day after gardening and AFTER a shower (yes, with soap!) - they weere still brown in the little cracks. Does that mean I deserve a manicure for my birthday??

• booberry85
    15 years ago

I'm in the same boat as Proudgm & Kmpsmom. My fingernails rip & break which is just as well because I can't clean the dirt out from underneath them. My hands get terribly dry too. So I have dirt stuck in the cracks & wrinkles of my hands too.

• daffodillady
    15 years ago

And these are the kind of hands that I am proud to shake- LOL!! I hate a soft-skinned wimpy-touched handshake!!

• medontdo
    15 years ago

ok dang and i like you beth!! LOL always wanted to shake your hand!!! LOL ** pouting now** LOL i have kinda soft hands, and i can keep my nails clean, i use cocoa butter (palmers) and mix it with virgin olive oil. just enough to make it soft, i do that in the food processor. and i cream it really well!!!
    what it does is gently exfliates your skin, i'm so not kidding, i use this on the kids too. they have that funny skin. it comes with the three sisters. (asthma, allergies, hayfever) which they have. LOL so it soothes their skin, tabor will be running and itching his legs, so i found that this helps, so i don't have gardners hands!!! LOL try it and tell me how ya like it??@!!! :'))) P.S. great for legs too!! :'))

• Ann
    15 years ago

I found a great product on sale at Target about two years ago that's called The Apothecary Hand and Nail Cream. It works great especially since I hate wearing gloves. Unless someone can give me a brand that I don't think are hot on my hands and that I can feel what I'm doing. It would make a great birthday present next month.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

i use the medical gloves, i get them at walmart or you can get them at walgreens too. i have to at the back and the north east side of the house, they have something in the soil that makes my hands swell and itch. so its not good.

• Ann
    15 years ago

Don't your hands get HOT? It doesn't seem to matter what I use, but my hands feel like they're going to burn up when I wear gloves, although I know I should when I'm working in the garden!

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

Me too Ann,I try to wear them and end up ripping them off in frustration! I like to be able to feel what I am doing also,and my hands get hot too!

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Ya know, I seem to break nails every way except for when gardening! I don't usually wear gloves unless it's something that is thorny or pulling a particularly stubborn weed with "sharp" edges. It's odd... my nails aren't particularly thick and I don't take anything for them or use nail polishes or hardeners. Every time I break a nail it's usually while cleaning the house, but never from gardening!

Kathy

• chrizty
    15 years ago

lol i use those medical gloves to soak my hands, fill them up with lotion n wear them for awile, my fam makes fun of me but it works, toothpicks are good for getting the dirt thats way under the nails.

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

LOL...funny how we will find the perfect dirt picker for our nails hunh?...lol...I use my cuticle trimmer,not the scissor type,it works well for me! :)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

I'm trying chrizty's suggestion...and going to leave them on all night, if I can. I've had really old hands my whole life.

Sue

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bag balm works well with the rubber glove orthe "old sock on hand or feet" method...that stuff is good for about everything from cuts and scrapes to hand softening.

• SusanC
    15 years ago

I had long nails before I met up with gardening. Now, I keep them sort of mid-length. I try to wear gloves; I like those Atlas rubber-dipped cotton gloves, cuz they're light-weight and you can feel what you're doing. But you know how it is, when you're out there and see something that needs doing and you don't have your gloves on! This sounds really weird, but it's a lot easier to get your nails clean with toothpaste than with soap. (Gets them white too!) Just follow with a good lotion, because it drys them out a little. RE Keeping hands young looking: I use the same Alpha Hydroxy Acid lotion on my hands that I use on my face and follow it with an SPF 50 sunscreen. -Keeps my hands smooth and freckle free.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

instead of using the lotions at night, try the cocoa butter. its alot better for your skin. keeps your skin younger looking, just ask me, i'mso young looking!! LOL i wish, LOL that's what i keep telling myself anyhow. hee hee

• dorisl
    15 years ago

Use olive oil to get the dirt out of the creaky creavices.

:)

and a little garlic to keep the vampires away....

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

Hello all....can a newbie and fellow gardener and retired nail tech offer tips in hand care for your tips in growing plants...lols. Please only use products intended for manicure to remove the dirt and grime from under the nails. There is fungus in the soil that can get under our nails (usually caused by a injury) that will damage your nails and the nail bed.If you notice white lines under thick flaky nails,you may already have it. To treat it and just about any other boo-boo use Tea Tree Oil. It is a natural anticeptic from the Meliluca Tree. The oil can be used on your pets boo-boo's too.You can find this oil now at just about any pharmacy location. Too moisturize the hands Avon has a product called Moisture Therapy hand cream get the one labeled "intensive". Massage that in real good around the cuticles as well as the base of your nails(helps stimulate growth). This lotion is great all over too. Hope my info has helped.

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company