Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
(week of) 4/27/09-Show me your bloomers!

Posted by chemocurl zone 5/6 S IN (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 28, 09 at 22:37

I mandered around a bit this eve and took a few pics. I 'collect' lilacs and was glad to get a pic of this Lilac named True Pink before the blooms faded as they have already on a few varieties.

Pics are clickable.
Lilac True Pink

This roadside bed is in sorry shape, but it shows the true Pink Lilac almost glowing. In a couple of weeks or so the bed will be ablaze with color from the irises.

Lilac True Pink in road bed

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: (week of) 4/27/09-Show me your bloomers!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Pink dogwood, jack-in-the-pulpit, some kind of tulip I think, wisteria and chives.

jim_6b

o

Oh my goodness Jim... love the Pink Dogwood and the wisteria and how you have it trained. I have always wanted one trained like that. Is yours pink as it appears? With diligence, can about any wisteria variety be trained like that? How many years does it take?

Do you ever save and berries (seeds) from the pink dogwood?...hint, hint.

I noticed your pics again are not clickable...I get a p-bucket message that says "The action that you were trying to perform has failed.
"

Did you copy the HTML Thumb from below the pic? I know sometimes mine won't go to an enlarged pic, but to a pic that is the same thumbnail size as it is in my post. I think it might have to do with how the pic was uploaded to p-bucket or something...maybe I resized them somewhere along the way.

Thanks for sharing.

Sue

o

Sue
I don't see an option for HTML Thumb. I see a HTML Code and an IMG Thumb but no HTML Thumb.
jim

o

I don't see an option for HTML Thumb.
1-Ok...go to your account options...it is in the upper right hand corner, sort of.
2-Scroll down and under Album settings, click link options
3-Under IMG for bulletin boards & forums, check the box for Clickable Thumbnail and then SAVE.

That should do it. Check it out and show us some more pics...purdy please.

Sue

o

Wisteria
Photobucket

Lunaria going to seed
Photobucket

Columbine
Photobucket

Arisaema Green Dragon
Photobucket

Iris
Photobucket

I'm getting closer. Thanks for the help Sue. I'm using a camera phone so the pics aren't that good. The dogwood was actually a lighter pink. I will keep an eye out for some seed.
jim_6b

o

I will keep an eye out for some seed.
Great! It is usually red and collected in the fairly late fall, or it is here anyway.

OK...YOu did great on your pics...all are clickable and go to a bigger pic, with the exception of the first one. I still get the p-bucket message The action that you were trying to perform has failed.
Did you maybe copy the wrong code on that one.

I'm using a camera phone so the pics aren't that good.
I think they are all great. Is the columbine the native one?
Does that pretty blue iris have a name?

Thanks for sharing again...what happened to the pics you posted earlier today?

Sue...rbb

o

I don't keep many pics in my p-bucket album. I deleated the other pics. next time I post pics I'll remember to keep them in my album.
The columbine is a native but I don't know about the iris.
Thanks again for the help.
jim

o

Photobucket

TaDa!

jim

o

Oh My Goodness! It is even more gorgeous in a bigger pic!

You're good Jim...or it is you're 'bad' Jim?

You still did not answered my question posted above...With diligence, can about any wisteria variety be trained like that? How many years does it take?

Sue

o

I bought that about 8 years ago and they called it a tree wisteria. When I received it, it was about 2 feet long and didn't look like a tree to me. I found out that you have to train it to grow that way. I would think that you could train others to do the same. What you do is let 1 main branch grow, keeping it tied to a pole. I actually let two grow to about 5 or 6 feet in case 1 died or something else happened then I cut one off. They will grow more smaller limbs around the base and along the trunk and you have to keep them cut off but leave the top alone. I thought I would eventually be able to remove the pole but I don't think the trunk will ever support the top. It took about 4 years for mine to bloom.
I also have a rose of sharon bush that I pruned to have 1 main trunk that's 4 feet tall and it has a 2 foot round ball at the top. I'll take a picture next time it blooms.

jim

o

Thanks Jim...that is sort of what I thought, but thought it might take even longer than that. I found a great discussion over on the Vine Forum.

I thought I would eventually be able to remove the pole but I don't think the trunk will ever support the top.
I agree with you, and likely would never risk it being damaged by toppling over. It is beautiful!

I also have a rose of sharon bush that I pruned to have 1 main trunk that's 4 feet tall and it has a 2 foot round ball at the top. I'll take a picture next time it blooms.
I love things pruned into standards, but sort of think of them as more formal. Of course anything goes with me in my hodge podge plantings.

I found this cool pic on line of a limbed up Forsythia (pic from Balance Gardens)

Here is a link that might be useful: Wisteria tree vs. Wisteria vine

o

I have some more bloomers I wanted to share.
The last pic is a native plum bush that I pruned into a small tree. They are actually a bush I guess. They have roots that grow 10 to 15 feet out and will form suckers along them. If left alone they will get out of control. When ripe the plums are small and very soft, but they make a great jam.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Jim, not sure if you know, but dogwoods will almost 99% of the time produce only white flowering trees. Pink and red are usually grafted at a very early age. I'm growing some from seed now. I collected from all three color trees and hope to find my 1%.

o

Iris

Iris

Iris

Iris. This is my favorite flower currently in my possession. It was labeled "Iris Superstition", but is not. Superstition is all black and this one has orange signals.
Iris

Crested Iris
Iris

Sage

Geranium Sanguineum,Geranium
Columbine

This is "Iris Batik" Which has gorgeous coloring. Unfortunately the flowers are VERY shortlived.
Iris

Columbine

Pansy,Viola

Pink,Dianthus

Not sure what kind of wildflower this is. It grows rampant here in West Michigan. It is a tad invasive, but it has a similar growth to Phlox and Cleome, so it is a good looking plant. Also, it is intoxicatingly fragrant.
Weed

Weed

Columbine

Columbine

o

My Echinacea tennesseensis are doing good this year. I let the the gold finches eat a lot of the seed last year and they drop many of them so I have about a hundred baby plants. I will probably dig them in the fall and offer them for postage or I may take them to the fall plant swap here in Tennessee.
jim_6b

Photobucket

o

The Callas are starting to bloom.
Photobucket

jim_6b

o

Nice jim, I cant wait till mine sprout.

o

A few from my gardens. Happy Last Day of Spring!
'May Night' Salvia may night Valerian valeriana officinalis UI Poppy Photobucket 'Phillipine' Cosmidium cosmidium 'Whirlygig' Zinnia whirlygig 'Crimsonia' Fringed Pink crimsonia fringed pink
UI Iris (before the rain!) Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here