Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you make a boulder?

Posted by dan_the_mailman Michigan (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 17, 08 at 22:42

Hello Everyone!
I've been wanting to put a boulder or two into my garden as focal points, but don't want to spend a whole lot of money. So, I was thinking of making them out of cement. Anyone ever try to do this? Or know of directions? Any help you all could provide would be great!
-Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you make a boulder?

I guess you could always glue a bunch of extra rocks together...."said with a straight face"....

o

Hay Dan...you need to check out the Hypertufa Forum and discover a whole other world of gardening pleasure...making things for the garden.

There is a link to a lot of good FAQ at the top the the first page there. I am sure you could 'make a boulder...maybe even put some fossils in it too.

Below is a clipping I saved of a thread at Garden Accountrements. It is one of the coolest walks I have ever seen.

Sue...an enabler of many things

Here is a link that might be useful: Pathway at Garden Accountrements

o

Sue, that's an awesome link! "putting it in favorites"...ummm...I guess I've been enabled...again..."L"

o

As resident busy body, it is part of my 'job' to enable folks in all areas of gardening.

o

http://www.the-artistic-garden.com/faux-rock.html here is one with a recipe, i thought ya might like.
http://mysite.verizon.net/bonniehill/ponds/pages/recipes.html
http://hypertufagardening.blogspot.com/2008/02/hypertufa-planter-bowl-mould-for.html this one just in case ya see something ya want.
hope these help in any way :')) Medo

o

Sue,
I must commend you on your enabling...."pinning medal on chest" for above and beyond the call of duty..."saluting"

o

Oh man! Just what I need another project. I think I will have to live to be 180 in order to get all my "someday" projects done...now hypertufa too. Kim

o

I've been wanting to try my hand at tufa for several years now...since I saw the tufa planters offered up at a Cincinnati Garden show one spring. Wowser...were they ever expensive...compared to concrete, but they had several that were little and 'cute'. I've been stockpiling a few things over the years to use as molds...a metal hard hat, a super, super big stainless steel bowl, and some other things...

Then there is the bowling ball I picked up out of the trash in an alley. Someday I will try my hand at some Mosaic.

When you check out a few of the posts below...WIP means "work in progress'.

Sue...resident busy body and enabler of many many things

Here is a link that might be useful: bowling ball posts at stained glass and mosiacs

o
RE: hmmmmm......

Hey Dan,

maybe you would like to make a mosiac boulder...for some real garden bling!

s

o

HMMM! NOW, THERE'S AN IDEA! Maybe I'll do that after I make my morning glory totem poles? I figure, with 18 different varieties of morning glories, I could plant each type at the base of its own pole. I'll have to take some pictures this year...this could get interesting...
It'll definitely be unique! LOL!
-Dan

(can't you just hear my neighbors? what's he up to now???)

o

LOL! Especially your English lady neighbor! I can see her shuddering delicately now!!

I'm gonna do at least one bowling ball. I'm thinking opalescent paint and some blue stones...

Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here