Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaruzicka

mints?

lindaruzicka
15 years ago

I've received some mints in my exchanges and really want to plant them. Any suggestions how to keep them contained?..I mean besides barb wire and guard dogs...."G"

Comments (10)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

Containers!

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Definitely containers! I do several and scatter them around the yard for the fragrance. But I make sure they're off the ground and concrete, and when they get close to seed time, I stretch a net of pantyhose under them to keep from getting volunteers in places I don't want them. I usually keep them on a windowsill or table. and if it's windy around seeding time, I'll stretch and tent pantyhose over the top of the pot as well. I adore mints, but don't want to have to fight them all over the yard!

Kathy

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks Ladies, I knew I could count on you!...soooo..you're saying containers..."G"

• SusanC
    15 years ago

If you want to live a little bit on the edge, you can sink a container in the ground. I've got spearmint going in a 16 quart sterlite container that I poked holes in for drainage and then sunk in the ground. So far, it's stayed corraled,(been a year), but I do keep a close eye on it.

15 years ago

Susanc...That is living on the edge, as you will likely find out later this year. I planted mint in a 3GAL black pot, covered the drainage holes with screen wire, sunk it to the rim in a bed, and it still escaped out the bottom via runners. I can't remember just how long it took though.

Sue

• SusanC
    15 years ago

We'll see...but I AM the only person I've ever met that has managed to kill mint! (and multiple times!)

15 years ago

No you're not. They have wars, and sometimes kill each other, as in the strongest one wins. I had an area that had peppermint, spearmint, and lemon balm. There were really having to compete with weeds too. I'm not sure, but I think only one (if that) has survived being choked out for water, and nutrients.

I killed my chocolate mint with Round UP (actually a generic equivalent). The oregano may be the next, as it seems to have stepped out of line in its garden row and is covering about 10 square feet...or more. I'll probably salvage a start of that though and put it in a container somewhere. I think my neighbor accidentally got into the oregano when he tilled the garden with his tractor and big tiller. It might be everywhere by now...I'm really afraid to look....sigh

Sue

• SusanC
    15 years ago

"They have wars, and sometimes kill each other"

LOL -Sounds like the Knights of the Lemon Balm advancing over the hill only to meet up with the Royal Peppermint Brigade, brandishing their swords and red and white shields.

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

LOL......

• medontdo
    15 years ago

ohhhh my!!! LOL i haven't killed mine yet so its all good!! LOL i want to get all the kinds of mints there are. i only have grapefruit so far. LOL mine was in a container (big 12") and it had a little crack, and by goerge if it didn't find a way out, and next thing ya know, i had them coming out all over!! LOL so ya know i had to switch very carefully to another container!! and much bigger.

Sponsored