Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenmom2_gw

Back after 2 years

gardenmom2
12 years ago

Hello all. I hope some of you remember me, but know most of you won't. I was here a cpl years ago and traded, learned to Winter Sow and made so many special friends. My father in law had end stage lung cancer, and passed away in October 2009. It was a very long and drawn out battle that he fought with dignity.

After his passing, I was hoping to get back on here and really get into the garden and flower beds, as they were neglected from the craziness of the spring/summer 2009.

Unfortunately, that didn't happen last year. My husband and I went through a really rough, rocky patch last winter/spring and almost filed for Divorce. Through lots of prayer, communication, marriage counseling and focus, we are now, finally at a place where we can say we are stronger and more in love than ever. Our 16th wedding anniversary will be this summer and we are excited.

Last year was something I hope no one has to ever go through. I actually mowed down my garden at the end of June as I just didn't have the strength to maintain and care for it and honestly, thought I was going to have to prepare the place to sell. After this past year, and the healing that has happened in my marriage, I have begun, to finally come back and find me again. I am once again finding joy around me and in my hobbies, that I so enjoy.

I have spent the past few days outside, as the rain has stopped and I am trying to get ahead of the weeds by pulling and mulching as I go. I am starting a few seeds of things that I still can. I am so anxious to get back into my gardening groove. It is such a healing and fun thing for me and while I am anxious to plant ALL of my own seedlings for next year, this year, as I gradually find my way, I am so thankful for the forums and friendships.

I am hoping to slowly join back up to a few of the swaps, exchanges and the fun.

Nichol

Comments (5)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    12 years ago

Hi gardenmom2/Nichol!

Welcome back! I remember you well, and know you were quite active here, contributing much on the Conversation side of The Seed Exchange.

Goodness...so sorry to hear what you went through with FIL, and hubby, and mowing off your garden, but am so happy to hear of the happy ending with your DH, being stronger and more in love than ever. YAY!...love a happy ending.

Once you get your Seed and Plant Wish lists updated, and are ready, let me know and I'll try to fill some plant wishes (for postage)...no trade necessary.

Refresh my memory...just where in IN are you? I'm in rural Scott Co, approximately 30 miles north of Louisville.

chemocurl...aka Sue...aka resident busy body...(remember?)

• gardenmom2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, Sue, I remember you well, too. LOL I am on the IN side of Cincinnati.

That is such a nice thing. I am planning on dragging out my precious seeds in a few minutes and going through them with DD12 and figuring out what we are planting and if we "need" anything.

It has been an awful couple years, but at the same time, I have really grown and matured as a person, as a mother and as a wife. My faith has also been renewed and I have learned alot about myself and others during the past months. Its really wonderful to be finding a new normal and get back into gardening and enjoying watching the plants.

Nichol

• grovespirit
    12 years ago

Welcome back! :)

I was absent from GW for a long time too, for personal reasons including death in the family, time to grieve, health related challenges, etc. and am now back on here also after rising like a phoenix from my personal troubles of 2009-2010.

I tend to get "bonus" seeds from well meaning gardeners from plants which need more chill than I can provide here in Zone10b, and I am sure these plants would do great in your Z6 garden. Flowers, veggies, herbs etc. Some are heirlooms, some are natives. Some are even fancy catalogue seeds from places like T&M, Seeds of Change, Botanical Interests, and TomatoFest.

So, if you are open to surprise seeds suited to your zone, just say the word and the seed fairy here will send you a bubble envelope with some candidates!
    Also, once your wish list is up to date, please let me know and I will see if I can send you anything on it.

Cheers and Happy Growing,
    Grovespirit

• graanieb
    12 years ago

Welcome back Nichol, don't think we've gotten to know each other but am glad you are back and wish you well,

Bea

• medontdo
    12 years ago

nice to see you Nichole!! i remember you well!! we traded a few times :') you were so nice! sorry about all that you went thru. Death can take its toll on a marriage, its so great that you two have pulled thru :') and congrats on your upcoming anniversary! **big smile** ~Medo

Sponsored