Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agirlsgirl

A few pics of my projects! :)

agirlsgirl
15 years ago

Hi all! Here are a few pics of what I have going on here....

This first one is the latest bed I am digging,it isnt complete yet,because of this horrid weather.The rectangular chunk of grass is to get flipped yet,the strip of grass you see to the right is going to be a wood chip path.This will be my part sun garden.

{{gwi:30641}}

This is where the dog pen used to be,:(. It will be my tropical garden with an area for a memorial for my beloved pets we have lost. There are raised beds surrounding it to the left and behind,those will be the kids gardens. I removed a row of pavers from the front and right side to make room for plantings,please excuse the mess,it isnt complete and is harboring some of my ws babies!

{{gwi:30642}}

Here is an existing bed that needs planted,this is right off of the side porch where we spend alot of time,so I must make it fantastic!

{{gwi:30643}}

This is where all that awful Bishops weed was,it is now gone and ready to plant! This will be mostly columbine,I will add a few others for color through out the season.

{{gwi:30644}}

{{gwi:30645}}

This will be the veggie garden,not as grand as some of yours,but all I have space for! The dogs pen has come in handy,and to think DH was going to give it to someone with a dog...lol..

{{gwi:30646}}

I have more going on that I need to take pics of,when I do I will be back to share! :)

Comments (16)

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

I love all the pics and the dog pen/veggie garden is a great idea! Isn't this weather horrible?? I can't get anything planted either....watch, it will go up to a zillion degrees overnight!

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Angie, it looks like you have really been busy already, and I cant wait to see what else you are doing ! This weather really has been crazy, we are suppose to go to 83 here on Monday...UGH !

WHat veggies are you planning on growing ? What were you thinking of putting in with the columbine ? Thanks for giving us a look into what you have been doing, sure do miss ya. Still hopeful that Ill make it your way this summer !

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks girls! :) Yes the weather has been not so nice to us! I am really looking forward to this weekend,we are finally getting a break! But like you said it will probably be the total opposite of what we are dealing with now! That Ma Nature has a demented sense of humor!
    I am planning on growing beans and peas up the sides of the veggie pen ,hopefully the seeds will take,I planted them when we were having warmer weather and then we got this cold spell! :O I am planning tomatoes and peppers of course. I hope to try some carrots this year,and will be trying some cool weather crops for the fall. This will be my experimental year for veggies.
    I have no clue what I am putting in with the Columbine just yet...lol...that is still to be determined,but there will be some sort of annual there this year.Any suggestions? It doesn't get much sun,just a few hours and stays moist. I decided to put my Columbine there because the wild reds I have there now absolutely love it!Let's just hope the others love it as much.Here is a pic of the existing columbine,the giant one is one plant,there is a baby next to it to the right,but the huge mass is one lone plant!

{{gwi:30647}}

{{gwi:30648}}

I sure miss you too Kym and I really do hope to get to meet you in the flesh this year! That would be fantastic! :)

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Angie, I cant get over how big your columbine plant is soo cool...Hubby dug me a bed I am going to use for all columbine BUT I ended up using it this spring for summer bulbs, so in the fall the bulbs will come out and Ill move the columbine next spring. I was asking because I know my leaves of the columbine take up soo much room, I was wondering what you would put with it.

I am thinking of doing a trail veggie garden this year also and then next season do a full one..not enough time this year to get a big one going.

Hubby is making the pond bigger, and we started working this weekend on a dry creekbed. So, there isnt time to dig a veggie garden.

Cant wait to see the work in progress Angie, looks like you have done so much !

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The thing I really love about that columbine is ,it is a descendant of one my Uncle dug up wild for my Gramma many years ago. He knew nothing about plants,but figured she would like it and dug it with his bare hands and brought it home for her,how sweet is that? It gets bigger and bigger every year,it's about 5 years old now. The parent I got the seed from wasnt nearly as big and has since expired. I am not sure yet what will work with it,but I am thinking something that grows taller and more erect would be ok,I guess I will find out...lol...I am thinking for get me nots would do just fine with them and some shade tolerant campanula.
    So he wants the pond bigger does he? Whats he plan on putting in there? Alligators?...lol....

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Angie I hope you collect seeds from it, since it is such a special plant !

Funny you should mention alligators..LOL It is too cold here for them BUT they do a lot of fishing, so when they catch small fish, they want to bring them home to the pond.

I guess that is better then them putting the pirahna in there..LOL

I actually have a columbine plant that someone sent me as seedlings last year that is getting HUGE, and almost ready to bloom, I cant wait to see what color it is.

• chrizty
    15 years ago

everything looks great! the dog pen is a awsome idea for the vegie garden!!
    i didnt know columbines got that big! lol mine are in a small bed. i think we have the same reds. did yours bloom yet?
    this weather had been bad for gardening, cold n raining. says its gonna be nice this weekend! i cant wait!

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOl Kym! I kinda figured it was a little chilly for gators. It will be nice for the boys to be able to fish right out back when they don't feel like traveling. I have been putting seed aside from this one for a few years,I want to make sure there is plenty of seed from it,just in case! :)

Chrizty,it is blooming right now. You may want to make sure you have enough room for them,some Columbine do get quite large,although never to a size where they are a problem,at least not in our experience. Yep we are finally getting a break here! Can you believe it,we are going to be able to play comfortably in our yards! Woo-Hoo! Let's hope it stays this way,I am sick of this fall like weather. What part of PA are you in?

• chrizty
    15 years ago

im from SW PA too :)
    its was beauitful today! i played before work, lol hope to kick butt n get some gardenin done this weekend! :)
    it did feel like fall! so much i had the urg to bake, to bad the brownies turned out like rubber lol yuk!
    i just got the columbines last year, ill find out whens the best time to dig them up to move thanks:)

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

SW also! I am just a few minutes from Kennywood!
    I cant wait until the morning! Dh got my dirt today,so in the morning I will be amending and planting! Funny how through your life, you get your kicks in different ways!...lol...

• chrizty
    15 years ago

pittsburgh is about 45min drive, depending on the traffic, we went to the aviary n science center last year, then hubs took the kids back to see the bodys thing, ewwww lol ya know i didnt go.
    i havent been to kennywood in a long time, use to go every year.the zoo too. i love comming out the fortpitt tunnels n seeing that view :)

{{gwi:30650}}
    {{gwi:30652}}
    {{gwi:30655}}

• chrizty
    15 years ago

pittsburgh is about 45min drive, depending on the traffic, we went to the aviary n science center last year, then hubs took the kids back to see the bodys thing, ewwww lol ya know i didnt go.
    i havent been to kennywood in a long time, use to go every year.the zoo too. i love comming out the fortpitt tunnels n seeing that view :)

{{gwi:30650}}
    {{gwi:30652}}
    {{gwi:30655}}

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great pics! It's a little different now. They are changing everything it seems...lol...I haven't been to Kennywood in years either...lol..Dh takes the kids. We all do Idlewild together every summer,more my speed...lol...We visit the zoo a couple times a year,they really have been making some nice improvements!:)
    I worked my butt off today! I am beat! Things are really looking up,except that my new dirt isnt so great,I wish there was more organics in it! Tomorrow I will be tackling the forsaken driveway and around the Spruce out front. I planted a bunch of babies today,and have actually figured out where many of them are going! I will post pics when I have more accomplished to show.:)

• medontdo
    15 years ago

nice great job angie!! who knew (besides you) that a dog pen would be a great idea for a vege garden?? LOL i just finished talla's fairy garden by the house, now i have to do hers in the garden area, that will be fun!! LOL i'll have to take a pic as soon as it dry's up sometime. LOL and they grow a little, LOL ummmm how have you been besides busy as a bee??? LOL and did you know that clovers smell awesome?? when your yard is full of them :'))

• medontdo
    15 years ago

nice great job angie!! who knew (besides you) that a dog pen would be a great idea for a vege garden?? LOL i just finished talla's fairy garden by the house, now i have to do hers in the garden area, that will be fun!! LOL i'll have to take a pic as soon as it dry's up sometime. LOL and they grow a little, LOL ummmm how have you been besides busy as a bee??? LOL and did you know that clovers smell awesome?? when your yard is full of them :'))

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

ohhhh Christy thanks for feeding my homesickness...

I grew up in Murrsyville..but have family all over..the area.

It sure has changed alot, but still love it just the same ! I brought my kids a few years back to Idlewild, we missed kennywood, ran out of time.

Angie, sounds like you have done alot..and isnt it funny to know how excited we get over a load of dirt..LOL and to think it use to be boys..LMAO.

Two weekends ago, Hubby put in a dry creek bed..he is gonna finish it up this weekend. ( we were away last weekend). Now I need some shade plants to add in..gosh isnt it terrible when they give ya a new place to plant..tee hee.

Sponsored