Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penguu

Ebay screwed me *wince*

penguu
13 years ago

So, I have been looking for Wisteria sinensis seeds to bonsai for a while (tell me if this is wise, those of you with experience growing wisteria from seed?)

So a month ago I found an ebay listing that advertised sinensis and made a purchase. But when the seeds arrived, it was obvious that the seller confused frutescens with sinensis. When I contacted the seller she swore that it was sinensis, and it was obvious that she truly believed it. After some words back and forth (and liberal linking to encyclopedias) I learned that her mistake came from the fact that *she* got the seeds from a seller who claimed the frutescens plant was sinensis.

And now I am afraid to make another purchase. >__

Comments (8)

• remy_gw
    13 years ago

The problem with ebay is you've got a lot of hacks mixed in with good seed sellers. It is hard to know which is which. Who knows where the person on ebay got the seeds. I once traded with someone who I know was taking my seeds to sell. Now I did give them the proper seeds, but who know who else she traded with and what they gave her.
    Your best bet is to either ask for them in trade or buy them from someone who has a pic of their plant. That way you know you'll get the right seeds.
    Remy

• penguu
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ahh yes. So I'm trying again with amazon. I found two sellers, one of them is a company who tells me "the seeds come packed and labeled from our supplier" but it sounds like they're basically saying "our supplier says it's sinensis. But we're not going to guarantee that to you." The other seller seems to be a single person, in the email she confessed she doesn't know whether it's sinensis or any other species of wisteria (even though the listing title claims it's sinensis) but that she's willing to take photos.

Tough, so tough. >_

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Rare Exotic Seeds lists both varieties for sale. I've bought seeds from them a few times and haven't had a problem. The seeds are inexpensive so it might be worth a try. The white variety is out of stock but they have the blue variety.

Here is a link that might be useful: wisteria sinensis

• penguu
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oh my god, thanks karyn!!! I'm so there.

• chrizty
    13 years ago

This is why i dont buy plants or seeds from ebay. Its hard to tell who's good and who's not. There is a rate n review for sellers in GW, Ill have ta check it out for ebay sellers sometime.

• littleonefb
    13 years ago

Chritzy,

there are some ebay sellers listed on the rate and review vendors.

Fran

• chrizty
    13 years ago

Thanks Fran!! ill check it out, then i could put the good ones in my favs. We usally just buy movies or books on e-bay. cant help to lurk at plants lol.

• medontdo
    13 years ago

if i buy seeds, and i only get them from the one Karyn listed and springhill and there's one more that comes in the mail, but they are all very cheap and i've never had a problem with their seeds. i like how the rare seeds are, all of my seeds germinated. and a few of them, i remember i was worried that they would have a low germination rate, someone had told me. but they did awesome!! **grin** ya, if i were going to do an ebay or something like that, i'd definately get a pic or no buying, if i have to spend money from some person. i've only learned that from my hubs, because when he does ebay, he ALWAYS wants a pic of the thing he is buying. LOL (i know, long winded LOL) ~medo

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction