Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovegrnapples

Rosemary

lovegrnapples
14 years ago

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with growing rosemary. I'm not sure what I have at this point. I grew mine from seed last Spring, planted it in the ground & let it grow. In the Winter it got snowed on & had leaves on it. This Spring, about a month ago the leaves looked pale green all over it. I figured I had "dried" rosemary & the plant was done.

I looked again about 2 weeks ago & it's fresh green all over. It's like the whole plant came back. I expected parts to die & new parts to grow. I'm so glad I didn't rip off "the dead parts" (the pale green which was the whole plant!)

Is this typical for rosemary? I'm in zone 5 (IL). I think I'd like to hear someone confirm I'm not crazy that the plant really does this!

Thank you for your responses!

Nicole

Comments (6)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

Hi lovegrnapples,

I've never heard of rosemary being hardy enough to withstand a winter in my zone, much less yours.

In the Winter it got snowed on & had leaves on it.
    My guess is that the snow maybe insulated it against the colder temps. I don't think you are crazy, but just very fortunate, to have it return like that. I may have to give rosemary another try here too.

The link below lists several varieties, one of which is said to be hardy to -5 degrees. Possibly too, yours was growing in a sort of microclimate.

Do you remember what variety it was that you planted from seed?

I have a dahlia that should have never survived being left in the ground here, but the thing has returned for maybe 3 or 4 springs. It is in a bed on the south side of the house, which is brick...likely giving it a microclimate.

Sue...chemocurl

Here is a link that might be useful: Rosemary Varieties

• lovegrnapples
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh...Sue...

You're going to think I'm a fool but I decided to tell the truth here. T is for Thyme!!!

My mistake it's thyme not rosemary. I did a google image search trying to find the variety & realized I "mispoke". And yes the leaves are completely different. I'm not sure but maybe my brain needs some sunshine to get those cells working again! LOL

I didn't want you to continue thinking I was some magical rosemary grower & you weren't!

This explains all my ?'s too, since thyme will winter over.

Ok, have a laugh on me!
    Happy gardening,
    Nicole (slightly embarrassed)

14 years ago

I'm proud of ya for coming clean and fessing up.

I do think it would be interesting to grow that one rosemary that is supposed to be hardy to -5 degrees and see if it might make it in the warmest spot on the property...like where the dahlia is.

I had 2 varieties of thyme in pots that overwintered, but there is a lot of dead that needs trimmed out of them.

Ok...having a good laugh on you! Guess you don't use many of your home grown herbs when you cook, huh? If so, I'd think you would have known the difference.

Happy Gardening to you!

Sue

• lovegrnapples
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You're right I don't use thyme to cook. I only use dill & cilantro.
    I planted thyme because I thought "oh, nice greenery, non-toxic to the 2 & 4 year old kids, & a perennial!"

And then I kind of,ahem, totally forgot about it...

How do you know what to trim out of the thyme? What does "dead" thyme look like?

I WS dahlia & have little, approx. 2 inch sprouts. From what you wrote, I take it dahlia needs lots of sun? Any more advice?

Thanks again,
    Nicole :)
    P.S. Boy, I've really run away with this thread!

14 years ago

I take it dahlia needs lots of sun?
    Yes, lots of sun. There is a Dahlia Forum that you might want to go check out.

How do you know what to trim out of the thyme? What does "dead" thyme look like?
    Mine is leafed out here. Any old stems that don't have any leaves on them yet got trimmed off. A couple stems had a few leaves on just the tip ends and they got cut off too. Now my little thymes look healthy and happy. Yours might not be leafed out yet, so give it a chance.

I lost one of one the smaller ones...it was a variety with really tiny leaves. I won't be replacing that one.

Sue

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

I wait until late spring/early summer to trim up my thyme because I have found that those twigs that look dead will usually leaf out and I will have a lush looking plant.

Both thyme and rosemary are great added to small roasted potatoes. Rosemary buns are delicious. I am learning to use herbs in cooking where I used to plant them just for their wonderful aroma. I crush a few leaves whenever I pass them by.

Thyme does not overwinter inside for me but rosemary survives and grows enough to take trimmings to use in winter cooking. I dry thyme in the fall. Easy to do, cut and tie small bundles or leave loose and bag when it is dry.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH