Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spring Cleaning.. lost alot of my poppies to spring cleaning..

Posted by meadowgarden zone 7 (meadowmarino@optonline.net) on
Wed, Jun 4, 08 at 9:51

I just noticed that when I spring cleaned. I spring cleaned a lot of my poppies. Has anyone else pulled out flowers thinking it was a weed? Any suggestions on how to master the art on knowing whats a weed to whats a plant?

Thanks Meadow

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spring Cleaning.. lost alot of my poppies to spring cleaning.

alot of times if I'm not sure what something is, I'll let one grow to see what it turns into. If I don't like it, I pull it.

o

yep that's what i do, if its grass i pull it, usually that's what i have around here TONS of grass!! LOL and if it has no blooms, most of them are gone unless they have really pretty foilage or smell awesome!! LOL if they got stickers no contest!! your a goner!! LOL

o

I rarely pull them,I always let it grow out a bit to be sure first,but,Gramma on the other hand is her own worst enemy,she pulls out at least 3 different things a year! She is 71 and has not gotten any better over the years! She knows the difference,it just usually when it's too late! :O My suggestions is that of the medo and Linda,don't pull unless you are sure! I observe the seedlings as they grow,so if it is a weed,the next time around I know what it looks like at different stages.
Don't feel bad,lots of gardeners sabotage them selves...lol..

o

I left things aloneg and ended up with snapdragons and petunias that I didn't even start. Must have been some neat seeda flying around the neighborhood!

o

• Posted by bakemom z6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 6, 08 at 18:02

Sure, I have done that before, probably many times. Time and experience has probably cut that down some. Then, I also grow from seed, so I know a bit more about what the baby plants look like. Finally, I winter sow and always have too many plants, so if I screw up, I can easily replace.

o

after pulling up 3 bulbs last yr thinking they were grass, I've learned to just let it all "grow till I know" LOL
Vic

o

Don't despair...Thompson and Morgans is having their 1/2 off sale until June 19th (I think it is)...and they have 40 different varieties of Poppies

They also have 40 different varieties of Sweet Peas!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here