Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meadowgarden

Spring Cleaning.. lost alot of my poppies to spring cleaning..

meadowgarden
15 years ago

I just noticed that when I spring cleaned. I spring cleaned a lot of my poppies. Has anyone else pulled out flowers thinking it was a weed? Any suggestions on how to master the art on knowing whats a weed to whats a plant?

Thanks Meadow

Comments (7)

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

alot of times if I'm not sure what something is, I'll let one grow to see what it turns into. If I don't like it, I pull it.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

yep that's what i do, if its grass i pull it, usually that's what i have around here TONS of grass!! LOL and if it has no blooms, most of them are gone unless they have really pretty foilage or smell awesome!! LOL if they got stickers no contest!! your a goner!! LOL

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

I rarely pull them,I always let it grow out a bit to be sure first,but,Gramma on the other hand is her own worst enemy,she pulls out at least 3 different things a year! She is 71 and has not gotten any better over the years! She knows the difference,it just usually when it's too late! :O My suggestions is that of the medo and Linda,don't pull unless you are sure! I observe the seedlings as they grow,so if it is a weed,the next time around I know what it looks like at different stages.
    Don't feel bad,lots of gardeners sabotage them selves...lol..

• ollierose
    15 years ago

I left things aloneg and ended up with snapdragons and petunias that I didn't even start. Must have been some neat seeda flying around the neighborhood!

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

Sure, I have done that before, probably many times. Time and experience has probably cut that down some. Then, I also grow from seed, so I know a bit more about what the baby plants look like. Finally, I winter sow and always have too many plants, so if I screw up, I can easily replace.

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

after pulling up 3 bulbs last yr thinking they were grass, I've learned to just let it all "grow till I know" LOL
    Vic

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

Don't despair...Thompson and Morgans is having their 1/2 off sale until June 19th (I think it is)...and they have 40 different varieties of Poppies

They also have 40 different varieties of Sweet Peas!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor