Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dorisl_gw

I got busted seed snagging this week.....

dorisl
15 years ago

I wont say where cuz it will start one of those arguements.

Funny thing is, I was just kinda playing with the rubarb seeds, cuz I dont eat the stuff..

anyway, the lady walks up to me and says "I see you're collecting seeds there" and before I could reply, she says "Its OK, you can do that here, its fine, you just need to know that that rhubarb isnt the kind you eat".

Comments (15)

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

ouch....

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

How funny! Each time I go to Lowe's I find myself eyeing the plants looking for seeds. I'll have to go prepared next time with kleenix or something to put them in!

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

you just need to know that that rhubarb isn't the kind you ea

well, what on earth kind would it be? Anyone know?

Sue...curious as all get out

• ollierose
    15 years ago

Here ya go Sue.....

You can also find it on Dave's Garden.

Diana

Here is a link that might be useful: Ornamental Rhubarb

• chrizty
    15 years ago

lol glad it was ok:)

• jim_6b
    15 years ago

Hey, if you want rhubarb seed nashwinter123 has some!
    jim_6b

• medontdo
    15 years ago

man i used to have some seeds, i gave all mine away and mine didn't winter sow!! errrrrrrr!!! LOL
    i'm soooo glad you didn't get into trouble!!! Doris, ask first!! you would not imagine the friends i've made that way!! *wink wink** LOL i used to sneak then i started asking and man the conversations that come up!! and the fun i've been having since!! Geez!! LOL OHHH YA!!! lowe's lets ya have them to if ya ask if they're on the floor!! i got hydrangea!! ~medo,, who's hoping to get it rooted!!

• dorisl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

didnt even occur to me to need to ask, cuz like I said, I took a couple and was just playing with them and stuff. And yep, its that plant in the picture, all green, huge and it was on its last brown drying up dropping seeds all over legs.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

ahhh the playing thing!! yes!! that can get ya into soo much trouble!! LOL HEE HEE LOL ~Medo

• tkhooper
    15 years ago

I've never done it in a store but...if it is street side look out. I'm very likely to snag a seed pod.

Here where I live now there are roadside wild ground roses growing and my neighbors all say it is ok to snag some of the plants. I may well do that next spring. They are pretty.

And I'm going to put my berry canes on the streetside so everyone can come harvest from that side. I'm going to harvest from the shade of the trees on the other side.

• junkmanme
    13 years ago

There was a NEW ROAD put in nearby here...and they seeded the edges with perennial wildflowers. My girlfriend wanted me to dig up some and bring them home.
    I REFUSED. I told her that I wasn't "going-to-jail" over just a few flowers!
    I told her to order some seeds!
    Ha-Ha !!!
    -Junkmanme-

• bakemom_gw
    13 years ago

I always ask. Folks are suprised and flattered - no one seems to care if you take seeds b/c they don't grow from seed.

• annikasmommykate
    12 years ago

I snagged my white echinecea seeds from our local stop and shop last year...They seed heads were all dried out, just begging me to take them home, so what could I do?

• mastergarder2003
    11 years ago

Well I didn't get caught but I pulled a piece of over hang Ornimental Miscanthus Porcupine beautiful yellow band,5 ft grass. just a tiny rooting, stuck it in a cup of water and took from TN.to Mi. I share with locals and it is gorgous. It just needed thining out a bit it was growing over the Cracker barrel cement to the parking lot you know, ha. Save those Ice melt Mcdonald cups too, you never know when they might come in handy on a trip. ha.

• Joel Morris
    11 years ago

SHHHH! I keep gardening shears and bottled water in my truck all the time. Never know when you'll find things on the floor or a tree in a shopping center parking lot that you can root. Sometimes I ask............