Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
proudgm_03

Question for Sue

proudgm_03
15 years ago

How many GW members do you think trade seeds and/or buy them directly from companies?

Comments (12)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

I give up. How many? I'm clueless. Hmmm, I'm also curious as to why you ask...and ask only me.

How many do you think? I couldn't even begin to guessimate...though I know the PO has overcharged thousands of times since May 2007 when they went to shape based pricing...but we won't go there with this post...lol

Sue

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I was going to try and address the shipping costs of a particular company by telling them how many potential customers they could have if they would lower their shipping costs. I ask you because at one time I thought you had mentioned a number during the postage rate fiasco.

15 years ago

Oh...I do remember that. I think I just mentioned thousands and thousands of times customers had been overcharged...considering the number of folks who trade seeds here, and at all the other trading sites...and considering that lots of members might have a hundred or more trades in one year alone...

I just checked and there are 6 Birthdays today for members who post to the Seed X. I know there are a lot of birthdays that are wrong though, as they defaulted to Jan 1.
    Assuming an average of 6 per day X 365 equals 2,190...but I know that is way too small of a number.

I'm really clueless as to guestimating it any better.

Might I ask what company it is? There is one that charged per the dollar amount...but it was set for buying plants instead of seeds. There was a separate charge for the seed shipping and handling cost, though it wasn't to be found on their site, if I remember correctly.

Sue

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's Parks. They would sell a lot more seeds if they would lower their shipping. It seems to a sore spot for many on posts that I have read.

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

I think if Park would lower their postage rate for atleast seed purchases, I think they would do alot more also..I know last season when I posted about them, everyone complained about the postage..

maybe ask Park seeds, to take a look at this site, and see how many members there are..

I know last season I ordered from them, and tried to find someone that wanted to split the order with me to save on the postage, and then I wouldnt have too many seeds of one type...maybe people could do more of that too ?

I hope they will listen to you ! Good luck !

15 years ago

hmmm...I just checked them out. Man...those prices reflect shipping for plants, and are out of site to be charging the same to ship seeds. I've written them.

To whom it may concern,

I'm wondering why the shipping and handling costs are the same for seeds as what they are for plants. Surely seeds do not weigh as much or require as much packaging as a plant would, dollar for dollar.

To pay $6.95 for shipping a pack of seeds is just not reasonable. Paying $9.95 is not reasonable to pay for shipping $19.99 worth of seed purchases.

Several friends and I were discussing this. We all agreed that due to the high cost of shipping on seeds that we won't be ordering them from Parks, but from someone with reasonable shipping and handling charges.

An explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Sue XXXXX

I'll be back if and when they reply.

15 years ago

I got a canned message thanking me for my Feedback (what?)

Dear Park Gardener,
    Thank you for writing to us. We are currently experiencing our busiest time of year, therefore we may not be able to respond to your e-mail as quickly as we would like. Please be patient with us, we will contact you within five business days. If you need an immediate response, please call 800-213-0076.
    We appreciate your patience, and look forward to helping you with your question or comment.
    Sincerely yours,
    Your Friends at Park Seed

so now I'll be back in 5 business days. Maybe some others should write them as well...now.

There is a Contact Us link at the bottom of the page linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Park Seed

• ollierose
    15 years ago

You are all wasting your time - Parks is the absolute worst of all online nurseries. I ordered from them this year and it was a total disaster. Feel free to look up my post about them on the Vendor Rate and Review.

While they will eventually respond to anyone that contacts them, it will not be with the results you are hoping for. They will provide some bull*$(% story validating the ridiculuous shipping charges, but I highly doubt you will make any progress with them. They could provide free shipping and I still wouldn't order from them.

Diana....official ranter for the moment!

Here is a link that might be useful: Parks - Vendor Rate and Review

15 years ago

Well I heard back from them already today. It seems one must call their order in to get the rates to ship seeds...something that is not stated on their site, so how would anyone ever know it? Sheesh!. Here is the email.

Dear Sue,
    Thanks so much for contacting us! Your concern is important, and we're glad you took the time to write.
    Our website is now set for taking reservations for Fall shipping, which mainly consists of plant orders. Therefore, the higher shipping rate for plants will be applied to web orders, at this time. If you are ordering seed only, please call us at the phone number listed below and one of our representatives will be happy to assist in placing your order with the lower shipping rate for seeds only.
    If you have any more questions or comments, please don't hesitate to give us a call or send an email (number and addresses below). Thank you for sharing your garden with Park!
    Cris
    Park Seed Customer Contact Team
    1 Parkton Ave.
    Greenwood, South Carolina 29647
    Telephone: 800-845-3369
    Fax: 800-275-9941
    http://www.parkscs.com
    email: info@parkscs.com

• ollierose
    15 years ago

Well, I stand corrected. You must have a special touch Sue!

15 years ago

Well, I don't know about that, but they sure should post something on their site, like in the shipping FAQ or something that one must call to find out the shipping and handling costs for seeds...or better yet, include the info on their site, as other seed vendors do.

If I was just stopping by their site, browsing seeds, and saw the costs they have listed, I would sure be scurrying to another site pretty quickly.

I probably won't ever order any seeds due to being able to acquire so many wonderful seeds via the exchange here, unless it was something from a specialty place like the link below.

Fragrant Garden Nursery. I see their shipping and handling is clearly stated in the link below...$3.50 for any number of packs of seeds ordered.

Check out their catalog!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ordering Info

• ollierose
    15 years ago

I've had that site bookmarked for months now just waiting to see what I can't trade for on GW! Very impressive!