Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Importing seed from other countries

Posted by prhart western NC (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 3, 08 at 15:06

Has anyone had success using the Small Seed Lot permit that the USDA will provide to persons interested in getting seed from abroad without a phytosanitary certificate. It is a fairly tedious process to apply and once granted, the accompanying information seems to say that you must make arrangements to either personally pick up the seed at the inspection station or require a carrier to pick it up and forward it to you. On the other hand, a UK site says that the USDA will inspect the seed and then put it back in the mail to you. Obviously, the latter is the only practical solution unless you live in a border inspection city. Yes, I know that lots of people send seed internationally without a certificate but some foreign firms will not send seed unless you provide them with the small seed lot permit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Importing seed from other countries

I have never tried...however I will tell you this. I made a accidental mistake of having someone send me seeds from out of the country. they were seized by customs trasported to the dept of agriculture. when they couldnt identify them they were on my door knocking...literally at my doorstep. be careful what you order from other countries. Forunant for me I knew what they were. they were no where near illegal and the usda left me alone and apologized.

o

the only place ive ever mailed to was canada, seeds n plants, never had a proublem, she always got my boxes or envys,

o

I have had seeds confiscated twice and received a letter from USDA, but nobody has ever come to my door, I just never got the seeds. I have never had a problem ordering from another country, maybe the source of the seed is the problem. A business can be regulated, but individuals cannot. Linda

o

I, too, have exchanged seeds and even plants with GW members living in other countries. When it comes to purchasing seeds from firms in Canada, Great Britain, etc., they require that you either purchase the phytosanitary certificate which adds considerably to the cost, especially if you are talking about seeds,or obtain the Small Seed Lots permit which is free and satisfies the requirements. So far, no one has responded who tried to go this latter route. So, I repeat the question which I originally posted. Has anyone ordered and received seeds using this somewhat complicated but legitimate method.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here