Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I trade these seeds???

Posted by vic_zn5 5 MT (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 4, 08 at 17:45

Ok, I'm new at seed saving, but through trades and sabe offers I've aquired quite a bit. I kept them in a bubble env. in a ziplock bag in my dresser drawer. Some I know how old they are, some I don't. Then I just read some should be kept in the frig. some are good for a yr. some for much longer.

I don't want to trade bad seeds, should I research each one to see the storage/shelf life of them? Or make a comment on how I've stored them so ppl know before trading? Or just keep them myself and see if they are still good?

TIA
Vic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I trade these seeds???

Hi Vic,

Now if'n it was me...I would list the date it known, and where it came from...If I rec it in trade, and the date was unknown, I would just list it that way.

I see no need to tell how they are or are not stored. Very few folks, I imagine, keep all their trading and growing 'stash' in the frig...I don't.

I planted some tomato seeds that were likely 4-5 years old this year, just stored in boxes in bedroom, and had great germination. I was hoping for 50% but got many more than that...so now I am over run with great mater plants.

Sue

o

this is so true, i know some of the people talk about secret boxes and such. under beds in the closets and such. mine did great!!

o

i never stored mine in the frig, [my son sleep eats, noway im letting him eat my seeds!lol] ive planted seeds that were 3 or so years old n they came up
ive seen some trade pages that had
---old seeds from 06-----
list of seeds

you could do that?

o

I just had great germination from '01 and '03 seeds!:)
Like the ladies said,just list what info you have on the seed! Happy Trading!

o

Thanks everyone, I am starting some in the baggie method to see how they do. I got a late start with the move. I also want to try some winter sowing this yr. Just seems soooo long to wait! I'm sure I'll be glad I did it next yr.
Vic

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here