Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beginner Q - How to store seed?

Posted by di_h 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 4, 08 at 21:05

Ok so I put some poppy seed pods in a bag, they've all "popped" I separated out the casings and now have a million or so poppy seeds.
Do I need to do anything else to them?
What do I store them in?

sorry for the total beginner question :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beginner Q - How to store seed?

You may want to look through the topics in the link below. If you scroll about 2/3 down the list, you'll see poppies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Saving Forum FAQ

o

Hi. Never apologize for asking a question! You might find some info on this in the "growing from seed" forum as well. Once my seeds have dried I use either paper coin envelopes or little baggies to store them. I keep those in a big metal art box that I keep in the downstairs fridge. There's some seed varieties that I store in a cool dry room (my laundry room) instead of the fridge. If properly stored most seeds will remain viable for quite some time. there are seeds that need to be planted fresh like adeniums but most seed can be successfully stored.
Karyn

o

Thanks!
Off to put my seeds in paper envelopes :)

o

I agree with Karyn, I keep mine in paper ( if possible) and definitely cool storage. Dark is also a plus. Linda

o

I started with mine in plastic baggies, but now I switched to coin envelopes. They are easy to find at any office supply store. Plus, I write the year on mine and who it came from in a trade (if applicable). I try to plant them soon, and this is my first year trading but I'm going to try and trade off all my old seed before next year (or give it away). That way I replenish with fresh. Though they may be viable for several years, depending on the type, I'm going for a turn around so they are always fresh.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here