Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigred_gw

Co-op purchases?

bigred
14 years ago

Are we allowed to post an offer to go in with others on seed purchases? I need flowering cabbages and kales for fall farmers market sells but I really don't need 250-500 seeds of any one kind of seed so I thought about offering to go in with any other gardeners on a wholesale purchase but don't want to go to visit Mickey if it's a no-no.

Peggy

Comments (5)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

Hi Peggy,

My thoughts, for what they are worth.

Under the past regime (Spiko), I think CO-OP was sort of a dirty word and very well might have gotten one a free trip to the teacups.

I understand your thoughts on the matter though and think the following 'might' be all right.

1...Do not make the post on the Trade (On Topic Discussion) side of the forum. Instead, I would put it under Conversations, like this one. Since it is not an actual trade or seeds for postage offer it might very well get removed if placed on the trade side.

2....I would not refer to it in any way as a Co-op. Instead I would refer to it as splitting an order of seeds. I would maybe make the Subject of Posting line something like, Anyone want to split an order for some flowering d Cabbages and Kales?...and then give the details of what you had in mind to split.
    or Anyone ordering Flowering Cabbages and Kales

You could post what you were wanting to order...with links to them, and approximate costs if split 2 ways, or if split 3 ways, etc. Before mailing the seeds out, I would try and collect the $$ up front, for the cost of the split and then the cost to mail to those interested...unless of course they are seasoned traders with several good reviews.

Once you find a couple of interested parties you could then work out the details via emails as opposed to posting additionally to the thread....and you could post the thread as CLOSED

The present management is a lot more tolerant and a lot more reasonable that the the past regime. If splitting a seed order should happen to be frowned upon, it certainly would not get one permanently banned.

I think GW has not allowed CO-OPs because of the potential of them turning into a real fiascos, as witnessed a few times over at 'the other' site....but we won't get into that...lol

Just my 2 cents.

Sue

• stage_rat
    14 years ago

This is an interesting idea. Another thought, so that no one person gets burned for the full amount of money, is that whoever orders the seeds should get half of the money before the order, and half after sending the seeds on? And if a trader is new, maybe he/she should pay all upfront. Paypal would make the money sending simpler, if all participants use it.

If you do it, I hope it works out well. After next year, I'm going to be out of mizuna seed, and I'll be trying to get some without paying some high S&H just for one packet. Maybe there will be an Asian veggie group order happening by then. :)

• perennialfan273
    14 years ago

You know, I was thinking about doing something similar to this, but for flower seeds instead. If anybody every did that, then I might be interested.

• bigred
    Original Author
    14 years ago

well I would just buy them retail but I can't find a source that has more than one or two varieties and only 25 seeds to a package.

• squirrelspur
    14 years ago

HI did you ever decide to do this? I would be interested, there is a certain seed catalog I have purchased from before that offers large amounts of seeds with good germination rates. You have to buy a large number of seeds but when you figure out the price per seed it is much better than what the usual seed catalog offers.

Please let me know, I'm interested in growing some plants for a fundraiser.

squirrelspur Karen

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm