Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quiltingfox

Flowers in the veggie garden or not?

quiltingfox
15 years ago

LOL My mother-in-law and I are having a debate. :-) I am planting veggies and flowers in my new planting bed and my mother-in-law believes flowers should not be planted where vegetables are planted. So I am poling the GW. LOL Please post whether you DO or DO NOT grow flowers near/with your veggies. (I am just doing this for fun I do love my mother-in-law even if I don't always agree with her.) :-)

Best to you and have fun with this post,

Quiltingfox

Comments (13)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

my mother-in-law believes flowers should not be planted where vegetables are planted.
    There are maybe some things that should not be planted in the veggie garden (datura comes to mind), but there are several flowers that are even beneficial in the garden. Marigolds come to mind for starters.

I was thinking of starting some cosmos to plant in the veggie garden for when it looks so bad in late summer and fall.

Roses Love Garlic
    is a good read and lists several flowers that act as troubleshooters for various pests.

Sue

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will have to check out that book. Thank you. I currently have planted near the veggie area: roses, marigolds, zinnia, cosmos, cannas, and a gardenia.

Best to you and thanks,
    Quiltingfox

• scottrell
    15 years ago

DO!
    I plant marigolds and nasturiums in my veggie garden, I love to see that pop of color in the veggie area.
    Edible landscapes are getting more popular. I also plant herbs and flowers together. - Sharon

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

if and when I plant a veggie garden, I know I'll plant flowers in it too...

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

I agree,I planted Marigolds and some crimson clover directly in my veggie garden and have surrounded it with Zinnia,Sunflower,Four O'Clocks,Bachelor Buttons and Calendula.I love flowers in the veggie garden not only for the look of it,but to attract pollinators. Check out companion planting,lots of info on what is good and bad to plant with veggies can be found via a search! :)

• chrizty
    15 years ago

there are alot of people who grow their veggies with flowers. i wanted to plant merigolds in with my veggies n didnt. i got so behind in planting this year.
    i do get lazy last year n toss my scraps in the front flower bed n got tons of maters lol.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

if ya want to get good pollination you really should put flowers in there!! i put marigolds for sure, i also put petunia's, (shhhhhh don't tell sue, ) also i put datura, but not to close, maybe 50ft. and lets see, cleom, celosa, oriental lilys, sweet william, zinnia, cosmos, sunflower, monarda, peony, all of the flowers that i have i have in my garden, they are mixed in one way or another. and my tomato's have had great something or another. i have had tons of tomato's!! LOL ~Medo

• dirt_yfingernails
    15 years ago

Ditto what medontdo said. They attract bees, butterflies, and hummers which help polinate the veggies like tomatoes, cukes, squash, etc. plus they are beautiful to the eyes.

• sudzy
    15 years ago

I agree with all the other posters. I always plant flowers and herbs with my vegetables. Do try it. Smile

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

Flowers make me happy so I plant them where ever I can...this includes the veggie garden. Besides it does get more bees and it just plant looks pretty.

Kim

• magickcrafter
    15 years ago

we make the rules... it's our garden... If i want ketchup on my prime rib, I'm gonna eat it that way... Stand Tall, Be Free, Plant whatever you want in your garden... Are we sheep!!!! LOL

• graanieb
    15 years ago

More people are planting vegetables among flowers, besides polination it just saves on space and work. I no longer have tilled rows so it has to be large container or directly into the ground-like collards, kale and carrots, which we'll plant soon, among Crape myrtles Duranta and Zinnia-mostly...with enough clearing since most zinnias are finishing off.
    Cool weather veggies do so much better in south Louisiana.

Hey Quilting, if your MIL has much more success growing veggies her way, be happy she can share some with you, send some our way, smile.

GB

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

"we make the rules... it's our garden... If i want ketchup on my prime rib, I'm gonna eat it that way... Stand Tall, Be Free, Plant whatever you want in your garden... Are we sheep!!!! LOL"

LOL....love your outlook magickrafter! ;)

"Hey Quilting, if your MIL has much more success growing veggies her way, be happy she can share some with you, send some our way, smile."

Ditto! :)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022