Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
medontdo

what kinda spider is this??

medontdo
15 years ago

{{gwi:31654}}

talla found this tonight and i'm not sure what it is, so i don't want to kill it, but also i don't want to let it live, ya know?? LOL i see a few of these around. please help me. LOL thank you!! ~Medo

Comments (7)

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

could it be a baby hobo spider?? i've been bitten a few times lately by a spider i think that leaves blisters on me, and when i put vinegar on it, it doesn't heal as fast as they usually do, also i've been having this headache that won't go away, and my vision has been kinda blurry, but i chalked that up to me not wearing my glasses like i should, mine suck!! LOL
    my two bites just healed here last week, it looked like a vamp bit me!! LOL ~Medo

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

I don't know but it gives me the willies...

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

its starting to give me the big time creepy's!! and no LOL this time!! :'((..............~Medo

• daffodillady
    15 years ago

I told ya already about the problems I've been having with the spider bites...and your right...I'm not LOLing anymore either. Its getting me so concerned that everytime I get bit, I call my husband and tell him...so that just in case he comes home and finds me in trouble, he'll know to get me to the hospital, and why.......The place on my leg where I was bitten 4 times last fall is still reddish where it had swelled up so bad. I've been bitten 5 or 6 times so far this year and every time I end up going to bed on the third day afterwards; headache, achy joints, lethargy, with spreading dark red swelling, a deep burning sensation and tenderness at the site. I've noticed quite a few different spider varieties, so I haven't been able to pin down the culprit. I have lots of the ones like in your pic.....to me it seems as if there are a LOT more spiders this year than normal.....shudders!!

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ya, the baby hobo spider is more potent than the adult ones, and you have headaches for 3-7 days after the bite, blister on the bite, and ahhhh here's the thing, actually one of them, LOL
    When envenomation does occur from the bite of a hobo spider, local and/or systemic manifestations may appear. The severity of these phenomena are dependent to a degree on the age and sex of the biting spider: In laboratory experiments the venom of the male hobo spider produces more severe effects than that of the female, and evidence exists suggesting that the venom of subadults may be more toxic than that of adults. The local effects, which appear following most hobo spider envenomations, represent a type of necrotic arachnidism, which is almost identical to the local effects produced by brown recluse spider, Loxosceles reclusa, poisoning. Typically, immediately following envenomation, a large (several cm.) area of redness (erythema) forms around the bite site: This usually disappears within a few hours, leaving a small reddish induration (hardened area), which is not dissimilar to the classical "mosquito bite". Within 24 to 48 hours blistering may occur at the bite site. Within an a additional 24 hours these blisters may rupture, leaving an open ulceration. Within a few days of ulceration, if left uncovered, eschar or "scab" formation begins to develop over the lesion, and by three weeks post-bite this becomes pronounced, giving the lesion a "target and bulls-eye" appearance. Following this, the "scab" is sloughed and the lesion generally heals, leaving a scar, within 45 days of the original bite. In some instances, particularly when the bite is delivered in an area of fatty tissue, such local lesions may become deep and extensive, and may not heal for two to three years, as exemplified in the photo below.
    Hobo spider bite, 1999, Darwin K. Vest, Eagle Rock Research

Other long-term physical effects, such as intractable burning pain, damage to blood vessel valves, and cyst formation occasionally occur in conjuntion with local lesion development. The lesion that results is sometimes oblong or multiple, resulting not from more than one spider bite, but rather from gravitational drift, which moves venom components downward, away from the bite site. The process which causes the local phenomenon of necrotic arachnidism involves circulatory disturbances which result in ischemia, or lack of adequate blood flow in the affected tissues. Following venom injection, rapid coagulation of blood occurs in the smaller blood vessels of these tissues. This produces a centralized area which does not receive enough blood, and the area literally dies as a result of oxygen starvation.

Systemic, or generalized effects are seen in about 45% of persons envenomated by hobo spiders. The most common reported symptom is severe headache, which usually does not respond to over the counter analgesics (aspirin, which can prolong bleeding time, should not be used for hobo spider bite induced headaches). In addition to this, victims may experience a dry mouth, nausea, weakness and lethargy, dizziness, visual disturbances, hallucinations, joint pain and/or other undesirable effects. As with many types of complex poisoning, most victims of systemic tegenarism do not experience all of these phenomenon, but that is dependent upon the severity of the poisoning. About 15% of envenomated subjects are poisoned severely enough to require hospitalization: In rare cases aplastic anemia (bone marrow failure) can develop several weeks after the bite, which results in a fatal outcome. Another rare but dangerous condition that has been seen following hobo spider envenomation is the development of severe intractable vomiting accompanied by secretory diarrhea.

Some cardinal rules apply to persons that have been bitten by, or think that they have been bitten by a venomous spider. Above all, if you are bitten by any spider, and actually catch the spider in the act, always capture the spider for identification by a qualified arachnologist. Never discard a spider that has definately bitten a human. In the case of the hobo spider, not only is positive species identification important, but so is a determination of the spiders sex and age; these factors can help predict the severity of potential poisoning, and assist the attending physician in charting a course of treatment. Preserve the spider (or whatever parts of it remain) and take it to the clinic with you. If you suspect that you have been bitten by a dangerously venomous spider, see a physician. Most suspected spider bites in the United States turn out to be other conditions. The vast majority of spiders are harmless and beneficial.
    i also read that you don't know when you get bit by them. and about the burning,
    i just pop the blister, and keep the vinegar on it, next time it happens i will just pop the blister and put vinegar on a cottonball, and put a bandaid on that and leave it on. that should make it better. this time it took a LONG time to heal. and mine formed a scab after a week and a half. then it finally fell off. ~Medo

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

I was going to say b4 medo listed what she did that you should at least report these bites to your Dr.
    daffodillady, if you get too many I would think your body would start to build up toxins in your body and could be very serious, getting bitten once or twice isn't so bad depending on the spider but more than that I would definitely report this. It could be really serious for you. I am not trying to scare you but I would think too it could become a situation like anaphylaxis. (copied Symptoms include sudden anxiety and weakness, difficulty breathing, tightness in the chest, very low blood pressure, loss of consciousness, and shock. Anaphylactic shock can occur within minutes and result in death. A patient in anaphylactic shock needs immediate medical treatment).
    I am not sure about any of this, I just know my son is alleric to bees and this concerns me about these spiders. HOWEVER, everything I have read since I seen this post states that multiple bites from the Northwestern brown spider or the hobo spider, do NOT occur, but they mean from one spider. But they are posionious so I would think that if this is the spider you are getting bitten by you should tell you doc. And how many times you believe you have been, over the period of a few days.
    Everything also agrees if it doesn't begin to heal you should go to your doc.

I don't know, I would just be concerned if it were a lot. You know they are going to want you to bring in the spider, BUT it also says you usually will not FEEL it bite you, you would actually have to SEE it to know for sure.

All I DO know is they ARE CREEPY!!! UGGHHH!!! And now thanks to medo, and following up on this "research" I realized that all the dang spiders I have had in my bathtub in the last few years are apparently this awful spider and I should thank my lucky stars I have never been bitten!!!!
    Dang, I have to worry about fire ants too! THEY HURT LIKE CRUD WHEN THEY BITE!!!
    daff, I don't know how many times you've been bitten but I would be really really careful about it. Please call you doc and at least talk to them about the possible build up off toxins from these bites. Make sure they understand it is more than a few!

Medo, KILL IT!!! Watch out for the babies around those things....

:) Fran

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

after i read POISONOUS that's all it took!! it was a gonner!! talla is lucky so far neither kid has been bitten by these things, now mosquito's just LOVE her blood!! LOL nothing will bite tabor, i tease him and tell him "its cuz ya stink to bad, they'll die within a foot of ya" he's like na uhhhh!!! and smiles!! he's becoming a teen so i have to tease him about something, he likes to forget his deoderant. LOL

ok here's some insect repellent idea's:
    Rub self with citronella, try Burt's Bee's Farmer's Friend, or spray yourself with a mixture of Thymol and Lavender essential oils and water.
    Eat garlic.
    To get rid of existing spiders and snakes, use a vacuum cleaner to remove spiders, webs and eggs. Then, place Osage Orange fruit in your basement near the exit doors and windows. Osage Orange, which is commonly known as "Hedge Apples", contains a chemical called "2,3,4,5-tetrahydroxystilbene". This natural chemical is effective in repelling spiders and insects.Without a food source to sustain them, any snakes that were living there will automatically leave your basement.

ok last but not least, LOL if your into essential oils, here's a great one!! LOL
    Thieves Oil- What is it

Thieves Oil:
    Created from research about four thieves during the 15-century plague in England who used cloves, rosemary, and other aromatics to protect themselves while robbing plague victims. Thieves is a proprietary blend of pure essential oils tested at Weber State University for its potent antimicrobial properties. It was found to have a 99.6 percent kill rate against airborne bacteria.

THE THIEVES OIL BLEND IS A NATURAL ANTIVIRAL, antiseptic, antibacterial, bug repellent and more.

Here are some of it's uses:

~Rub on your hands & fingers to kill germs
    ~Diffuse into the air to kill airborne germs, viruses & mildew in half hour or less intravals
    ~One drop on a bug bite will stop the itching and speed up healing
    ~A few drops in a light scentless carrier oil makes an effective insect repellent.
    ~Freshen breath with 1 or 2 drops in your mouth or on your toothbrush- have water handy for rinsing.
    ~A dab on a wound or pimple to aid in healing.
    ~A few drops on a handkerchief around your neck can aid your immune system in kicking a bug before you fully catch it.
    ~Breathing steaming water with a few drops in it aids in kicking a bug early.
    ~For those with a masochistic side (only): 1 or 2 drops rubbed into your pits kills body odor.
    ~Use as cologne, it smells delicious! Cinnamon is an aphrodisiac!

Here's more info on the beneficial properties of each essential oil in the blend:

Cinnamon Bark Oil warm spicy and invigorating
    www.aromatherapy-essential-oils.ws/ar...tml

Clove Oil a natural pain reliever
    www.aromatherapy-essential-oils.ws/ar...tml

Lemon Oil Stimulating and soothing www.aromatherapy-essential-oils.ws/ar...tml

Rosemary warm and stimulating
    www.anniesremedy.com/herb_detail51.php

Eucalyptus Citriodora Oil antibacterial & astringent
    www.anniesremedy.com/herb_detail23.php

and i know they hate lemon!! so i imagine if you put lemon on you they will be less likely to taste you!! LOL
    here's a page for the bites- ya know to take care of them - bee's.
    http://www.homemademedicine.com/home-remedies-bee-sting.html
    ~Medo

Sponsored