Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_970892

How is your post office doing? charging you correct postage?

littleonefb
13 years ago

In still another attempt at solving the problems with post office clerks charging incorrect prices for bubble envelopes, here is a new thread to try and determine if members are still having problems with the correct postage charges for mailing and receiving bubble envelopes.

Please post here with any info good or bad. Correct prices or incorrect prices, getting clerks to charge the correct price or not.

Please include your location in your post indicating what state you are in and city or town.

If you are reluctant to post your city or town on line, would you please email me through my member page to let me know what city/town you are from and having problems with.

The more info you can provide me, the more info I can then work with, with the post office to try and get this problem finally solved.

Thanks in advance

Fran

Here is the chart with the correct info for charges

Bubble envelopes which are empty, or under 3/4" thick are classified as and to be charged as Large Envelopes and referred to as Flats) The contents (seed packs) should be taped in place, so the BE will be uniformly thick, and that the seeds don't shift, and then cause problems with the USPS equipment.

LARGE ENVELOPES RATE (BE UNDER 3/4 " THICK)

Up to 1 oz=$ .88

Up to 2 OZ=$1.05

Up to 3 OZ=$1.22

Up to 4 OZ=$1.39

Up to 5 OZ=$1.56

Other rates up to 13 OZ can be found at the link below. Anything over 13 OZ will then go as Priority mail (1 LB) and will be $4.80 unless one tells the clerks it is to go Parcel Post.

If there are numerous generous amounts of seeds sent, or if the seeds are bigger, the BE may be more than 3/4" thick, and then will go at Parcel Rate. It is not necessary to tape packets down if it is a bigger bulky envelope over 3/4" thick.

PARCEL RATES

Up to 1 OZ=$1.22

Up to 2 OZ=$1.39

Up to 3 OZ=$1.56

Up to 4 OZ=$1.73

Up to 5 OZ=$1.90

Up to 6 OZ=$2.07

Comments (41)

• antiqueorchid
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I sent out a bubble Evelope on Monday the 22nd with two 44 cent stamps on it and it came back yesterday saying postage due .51. It had very few packs of seed and was not thick and was 1oz when I weighed it. So yes we are still having this problem in Felton, PA.

Denise

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

to the top.

• tkhooper
    13 years ago

It sounds like I might need to get a postal scale. Oh bother another expense.

• wishnforspring
    13 years ago

I just received a bubble envelope from a trade and it had postage due of.34. There were 2-.44 cent stamps on it. My post mistress explained it to me the other day when I was mailing out bubble env.'s. She says that it will go 1st class if the envelope fit through a 1/4 in. slot board she had for measuring such envelopes.I always thought it was just by weight- not so. The envelope I was sending didn't even register on the scale- so it went by the depth of the envelope. Some are 64 cents but most (4x8) are $1.22 to send from my po in Arkport,NY.
    She also explained that if you use a standard envelope with bubble wrap around your seeds that they get stuck in the machines and that "they" are cracking down on bubble envelopes for this reason.
    Some you can send and get away with in a standard envelope if the seeds are not fragile(zinnia etc.)
    Just another roadblock when you are trying to beautify the world!!

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry to be MIA from this thread for a while, just to many things getting in the way, but I doing my best to help Sue get this resolved.

Darned, Sue, I'm starting to twitch too theses days.

Wishnforspring,

Your post mistress is , well i hate to be the one to say this but I'm going too, if full of you know what, and she has no idea what she is talking about.

She is 100% wrong and whether she knows she is and is just lying to you or she doesn't know, doesn't care to know and isn't interested in the truth, I really can't answer that but I'm going to post a couple of links within this post for you to go to.

I suggest you print out a copy of the page on each link and return to the post office with them in hand and show them to your post mistress and correct her on the what she said.

To start with, priced based shape sorting went into effect in May 2007, and I am quoting the following from the info on the changes directly from the post office website, and as of 9/27/10 not one thing has changed except for increased postal rates.

For padded bags (e.g., ReadyPost� "cushion mailer"), when the thickness is 3/4" or less and the item is flat-size and somewhat flexible, the item should be classified and priced as a large envelope.

here is the link directly from the post office with the above info and it is under quick tips.

http://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/bulletin/2007/html/pb22218/kit1_010.html

Now on to the requirements for 1st class letter

Directly from the post office website again under large envelopes

size limits for large envelopes

Size limits:
    - Rectangular
    - No more than 12 inches high by 15 inches long by 3/4 inches thick
    - Must not be rigid and must be uniformly thick (see package prices)

prices for large envelopes are as I stated above.

here is the link again for that page from the post office website

http://www.usps.com/prices/first-class-mail-prices.htm

Your post mistress gave you the price for parcel/package rate.

Unless your bubble envelope was thicker than 3/4 inches and it was measured to prove that, she is giving you a bull line.

If your post office is using the correct shape based template there are 2 slots on it, 1 is 1/4 inches and the other is 3/4 inches.

If your bubble envelope was flat, seed packets taped onto something to hold them in place so they didn't bunch up in one spot to increase the thickness, was able to bend a little and under 1 oz on the scale, you cost for postage is $.88 and anyone that tells you it has to be $1.22 is wrong, wrong, wrong and stealing money from you, even if it is the post office.

Please print a copy from each of the links I gave you and show them to your post mistress. If she gives you an argument about what you are showing her that is on the USPS website, let me know about that, and please, if you can email me her name, I would appreciate that as well.

I will be reporting what happened to you and what you where told to my "contact" at the USPS to add to the newly growing list of problems that I have been hearing about.

AS for her comments about "cracking down on bubble envelopes for this reason", she is full of, well for lack of a better word, stupidity and a crock of garbage.

Bubble envelopes do not go through the machines, thats the purpose for using them, to protect what is inside them, whether it be seeds or something else.

If she meant cracking down on people using regular envelopes and putting bubble wrap in them, that is a different story. That should never be done with anything inside a regular envelope.

If it is seeds, the odds of getting the seeds in one piece is slim and none. Even zinnia seeds and marigold seeds can be turned to dust going through those machines.

Fran

13 years ago

Boy wishnforspring, Your post mistress needs trained and then needs to train all of the employees working under her. She clearly doesn't know what she is talking about.

She says that it will go 1st class if the envelope fit through a 1/4 in. slot board she had for measuring such envelopes.
    I assume she meant it will go as First Class Letter RATE if it slipped through the 1/4" slot. Well her template should have a second slot which is 3/4" thick. Maybe she doesn't have one of the newer templates First Class Mail Shape-Based Pricing Templates (PSN 7530-10-000-0765) Dated June 2008. See mine below, and note it has two slots. One is 1/4" and the other is 3/4". Btw, these templates are free to customers, so you can verify the thickness, and thus not be overcharged.

{{gwi:27503}}

The envelope I was sending didn't even register on the scale- so it went by the depth of the envelope.
    Actually it goes by weight and dimensions, ever since Shape Based Pricing went into effect in May 2007, which is what makes this overcharging so sad. It has gone on way too long.

Some are 64 cents
    I sure don't know where she came up with that charge as it is not listed in the original post in this thread. Again, your post mistress is clueless.

She also explained that if you use a standard envelope with bubble wrap around your seeds that they get stuck in the machines and that "they" are cracking down on bubble envelopes for this reason.
    Again it seems to me that she doesn't really know what she is talking about. I would think that 'they' would not be cracking down on actual bubble envelopes (aka padded mailers), but instead on regular envelopes that are being padded with bubble wrap, thus causing the envelopes to not be uniformly thick.

Bubble envelopes do not go through the machines, thats the purpose for using them,
    Actually, if they meet the size, weight, uniform dimension, and flexibility requirements, they are sorted and travel much the same way as (regular) letters do, via AFSM (Automated Flat Sorting Machines). I guess that is why they refer to Large Envelopes as Flats

I will be reporting what happened to you and what you where told to my "contact" at the USPS to add to the newly growing list of problems that I have been hearing about.
    Hopefully your contact can and will check out this one case of an actual Post Mistress in charge of a PO not knowing how to do her job, thus causing the customers much confusion and overcharging.

If we can comprehend it, why can't those in charge of the Post Offices understand it? Why is the person over the Post Mistress in Arkport, NY not aware that his/her employee is not doing her job correctly? Evidently the problem exists all the way up the chain of command at the USPS. It's now been almost 3 years and 4 months years since Shape Based pricing went into effect in May 2007.

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ugh, Ugh, Ugh.

Sue stop hitting your head against the wall, please. It's too nice a head to bet all banged up.

Twitching is much better, I think.

I left a message this morning to call me about this one, and forwarded the post to her via email.

I don't know what is going to happen with this one, as in all honesty, enough of this is really more than enough. More than 3 years of a nation wide problem is nuts and really unacceptable.

I'm try everyone.

One of the days, please. Just one of these days, we will get this fixed.

No laughing allowed, Sue. just twitching.

Fran

• wishnforspring
    13 years ago

I am the one who has a headache! Small town PO's. I try to go to another PO the same distance- they don't EVER hassle me there. Unfortunatley I live out in the country and have a rural carrier so I have to live with that because I don't go to the PO for a few envelopes.
    No,I don't remember seeing the 2nd slot in the board she showed me.. hmmm?? So for a 4x6 or 4x8 I was being charged $1.22 bubble envelope to mail out. The other day I received the same sized envelope with.34 due (from me.) So I paid it. Yesterday I got an envelope that had the po rec.'d .76 from me(?).45 was DUE to me and then .34 was due the postal carrier. I HAVE NO clue what it ment. I showed it to my mom who lives next to me and she shook her head and said-"Just keep the .45!"
    I will copy the links you suggested litleonefb

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago

Yesterday the Postal Commission denied the P.O.'s request for another 2 cent increase on first class envelopes as well as other incremental increases indicating that the P.O.'s poor business practices are the reason they continue to operate in the red rather than the recession or gas prices.
    The P.O can appeal and I suspect they will eventually get the increase, but there is at least a temporary reprieve. There is some satisfaction in knowing that casual postal customers are not the only ones to perceive the problem.
    Alana

13 years ago

Yesterday I got an envelope that had the po rec.'d .76 from me(?).45 was DUE to me and then .34 was due the postal carrier. I HAVE NO clue what it ment. I showed it to my mom who lives next to me and she shook her head and said-"Just keep the .45!"
    What??? a USPS envelope with actual money in it to be refunded to you?

The link below has some good articles covering yesterdays Postal Regulatory Commission's (PRC) unanimous decision to reject the U.S. Postal Service's requested rate hikes.

Here is a link that might be useful: PostalReporter News Blog

13 years ago

I can't get my post office to mail a small bubble envelope for 1 stamp. Even if all it has in it is stamps. They always say it needs one standard stamp and an additional .20 no problem. I am mostly looking for flowers.

The above is copied from another thread and the member is in Ohio. Fran, just another example that the PO doesn't know that bubble envelopes, even when empty, or containing stamps, a label and a list, is over 1/4" thick, unless the bubble envelope is totally worn out and all the bubbles smashed out of it.

• wishnforspring
    13 years ago

Ok, I was really torked before- now I am just P***** off royally.Today I rec.'d a BE that I had sent with $1.25 cash in it for a seed trade.(I know never send cash...)Well I got the SAME BE back with the seeds I requested in it.The sender put 2-44 cent stamps on it-not $1.22 like I did when I sent it out. So now MY PO wants 34 cents from ME.I weighed the BE it was LESS than 1 ounce.So now according to the above info.I have been ripped off again by the PO?? And yes, it was NOT 3/4 in.I'm getting a slot board(funny I asked for one and didn't get a straight answer on that either from the PO) I might as well give up! I am tired of fighting the PO!!!

13 years ago

Egads, it is like they are just wanting to wear the customers down so they will either give in and pay the extra, or else just go away.

I'm getting a slot board(funny I asked for one and didn't get a straight answer on that either from the PO) I might as well give up! I am tired of fighting the PO!!!

Per the site linked below...way down at the bottom:
    Except for the minimum size for mailing (5-1/2 inches by 3-1/2 inches), the maximum weight for large envelopes (64 ounces), all other standards for First-Class Mail International letters and flats are the same as domestic First-Class Mail. Notice 3-S, First-Class Mail Shape-Based Pricing Template, can be used with First-Class Mail International mailpieces to determine the maximum physical size for letters and flats, as well as to check the aspect ratio of letters. Notice 3-S is available from your Post Office.

The number on my template pictured above is PSN 7530-10-000-0765 but they should have that info off of 'their' template, if they even have one.

You might have to print out the info from the link below to convince them to order a template....sigh...the things customers are still having to do to get the PO employees trained on how to do their jobs correctly.

Here is a link that might be useful: product features for mailing services to be effective May 12, 2008.

• wishnforspring
    13 years ago

UPDATE..
    I went to the other post office a few days ago.I explained to the postal worker all the things I had been through with the other PO. She was surprised at what I told her. She agreed that the BE's I used should have only been 88 cents not $1.22.When I had her check my envelopes she placed them through her slot board they slid right through-no problem. She took my name and is going to try to get me one.I am going back on Friday to check.
    Sue, I am going to print that info out and take it with me-thank you.

13 years ago

She agreed that the BE's I used should have only been 88 cents not $1.22.
    That's great. I'd get her name as well as the name of the postmaster/mistress in charge there in case you run into problems at 'the other' PO...sigh...and can't convince them and get them trained.

She took my name and is going to try to get me one.I am going back on Friday to check.
    Yay, but I would imagine it would be more like a week for them to get it ordered and received in for you.

Sue, I am going to print that info out and take it with me-thank you.
    Good Luck!

• wishnforspring
    13 years ago

I got it! At least one of my post offices plays fair. I got the slot board as promised. Now I can prove my envelopes are fine. IF I go back to the 1st PO I am taking my board with me. Who would've thought it would be such a hassle??
    Thank again everyone!

• Ann
    13 years ago

I received a small BE last night (at 6:45pm - but that's another rant - I mean story) It had two stamps on it and the postman wasn't going to deliver it without getting an additional 34 cents. This envelope wasn't close to 3/4 of an inch and certainly didn't weigh over 1 ounce. I am appalled that in addition to overcharging people, the USPS wants to eliminate a day of mail too!!

13 years ago

It had two stamps on it and the postman wasn't going to deliver it without getting an additional 34 cents. This envelope wasn't close to 3/4 of an inch and certainly didn't weigh over 1 ounce.
    Criminy...I don't suppose it would be very convenient to wait to open such an envelope and to take it into your PO and argue the case that because of them (them being some postal worker between where it was mailed, and your house), your mail was going to be held ransom if you didn't pay the overcharge.

When will this madness never end??? Why is it so hard for all postal employees to understand the specifications of a Large Envelope, aka Flat, aka padded mailer, aka bubble envelope, aka bubblie?

When will they start using the templates and following the very simple specific instructions on the template? It is just not that complicated...why I'll bet a cave man could do it.

13 years ago

Check out the link below...it is a pdf file that might take a bit of time to load, but it looks like you can call and discuss things with your District Manager Henry Dix Jr 202-636-2210.

Just let him know that this problem of overcharging has been going on since May 2007 when the USPS went to Shape Based pricing. Some (sometimes I think most) employees still are of the thinking that all padded mailers must go as parcels.

Here is a link that might be useful: Managers, Vice Presidents, District Managers

• Ann
    13 years ago

Thanks Sue. I tried to explain to the postal guy but at 6:45 at night I'm not at my most eloquent or patient. I was think about taking the envelope over to our local PO but it's a question of whether the 34 cents was worth an hour of my time - traveling, waiting in line and then explaining and re-explaining... But I will try to call Mr. Dix and let him know - sometimes I have had the postman leave the envies regardless of whether they had postage due or not - since this was not our "usual" person he didn't want to buck the "system"...

13 years ago

I was think about taking the envelope over to our local PO but it's a question of whether the 34 cents was worth an hour of my time - traveling, waiting in line and then explaining and re-explaining.
    No, not worth it for sure, especially since you likely wouldn't really get anything solved once and for all.

since this was not our "usual" person he didn't want to buck the "system"...
    I can kind of understand him just playing by the rules, since he didn't have a template and scale with him...but really, he could have and should have been familiar with what a Large Envelope looks like, length, width, and thickness. I'll just give him the benefit of the doubt that he was new and "ignorant' about 'postage stuff'.

It is just not that complicated...end of rant

• antiqueorchid
    13 years ago

a couple of weeks ago I tried another nearby post office thinking that maybe they would not overcharge me like my local one always does. I went to the counter and the lady told me it would be a $1.22. I said that if it is a bubble envelope and under 1 oz. and not more than 3/4" in thickness that it should only be 2 stamps. I asked where her template was and she said she didn't know. I stood there for about 5 minutes while she looked and looked but never did find it. She finally told me that if I didn't want to receive it back in the mail to my house or the person receiving it to pay funds due that I should just pay the $1.22.

This was in Dallastown, PA. These employees do not act like they even know their job. Can't find the template? I guess they never use one. Most people over pay and never question them.

Denise

• lalogue86
    13 years ago

So if I want to give away some seeds for sase how much postage should I ask to be sent to mail the seeds? 88 cents? Do I have to hand them to the post office worker or can I just put them in the outgoing mail boxes? Thanks.

• beck_wi
    13 years ago

Just got back from my PO in Greenfield WI. I wasn't sure the last time I took envies in, but now I KNOW they are wrong.

.5oz envie. def under 3/4" $1.22 Charged as a parcel.
    1.3oz envie. Had one more packet in it. $1.39

Then I had one that he said I couldn't ship because the zip is not found (gotta check that) and I asked how much it weighed so I know how many stamps to put on it at home.
    2.6oz. He told me 4 stamps.

How do I fight them?

• mrs.b_in_wy
    13 years ago

Well, for Heaven's sake! I've received BEs that the post office charged extra to send, but none of our Cheyenne post offices have tried the same with me. Not until today, that is. The woman behind the counter initially metered $0.88 for the first small bubblie but then grabbed her template (with only one slot) and said it needed to slip through the 1/4" slot, too. I said it isn't a regular envelope; it's a large envelope. She said fine, looked at her template and told me the minimum length for a flat is 11 inches, so she'd have to charge me for a parcel. I told her I didn't believe that was right. She wouldn't budge, so I asked her to peel the postage off the envelope. To complete the story, I need to state that she was never anything but friendly and pleasant. I certainly can't fault her in that department. Nonetheless, I guess it's good that it was a cold walk back home. 'Helped me cool off before getting in the car and driving to a different post office :)

• bustani_mama
    13 years ago

Beck I know not that close (I think greenfield is southridge or thereabouts?) but I haven't had issues at the south milwaukee post the oak creek post (nice target there 2 starbucks and a pick-n-save within 3 blocks) or the airport post

I thought the people knew there stuff around here actually I had sent plants one day then the next day and there was a weight difference I noticed the price difference and asked about the weight it sounded ok to me --ive physically handed bubbles with 2 stamps on them and had no issues --when I started trading while I was at the airport post I asked if there was some sort of sheet with the prices I could take with me the person looked for a few minutes but did get me one it's the "domestic quick reference" page 44 effective march 14 2010 I think by now I have a rough feel for most things but if I have any questions I have it as reference

I do have a question tho if something is kicked back (even tho the address and everything is accurate) are you to repay the postage or will the current stamped postage suffice? The first time I resent they let it go with the current postage the outher time they re-charged --I think the 2nd times made it tho I'm not fully certain as I also sent outher things out at the time (both I think) that made it ok

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Please keep posting any problems you are having with your local Post Office.

Yes, the Post Office is reading this thread.

Hopefully we will eventually get these problems solved.

Fran

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

DH just took 3 packages to the post office for me. One 4x7 bubble envelope weighing .50 ounce, One 4x7 weighing .70 oz, One letter size envelope with bubble wrap in it and that weighed .40 oz. The post office charged $1.22 per envelope. DH asked why they charged the same for the letter envelope and they said because it was thick, [it only had 2 sml pkts of seed in it] and had to be hand canceled, that they all had to be hand canceled and that was why they charged me that much. The receipt indicates it was first class parcel post.

It certainly is costing a LOT more to send seeds then it did two years ago when I was doing it often. For instance, someone generously offered to send me their seed if I sent them a SASE. So, it cost $1.22 to mail the envelope to them, and I had to include 3 stamps for them to send it back to me. $1.32 more. That's $2.54. for one pkt of seed. I could have added another pkt of seed to my order from my favorite catalog for less than that. Plus I didn't feel right not to include some of my own seed.

I feel I will have to rethink the seed trading and limit it to trades with a large number of packets in the trade, to cut down on postage. Or something unusual that is hard to find. It's too bad because sometimes you just want to offer a couple of pkts to someone and you don't want it to be about cost. And it is such a nice friendly hobby that was pretty low cost.

13 years ago

prairiemoon2
    It sounds as if your PO has overcharged you and that they have not been properly trained, if they said, "because it was thick" and " had to be hand canceled, that they all had to be hand canceled and that was why they charged me that much."

They were 'maybe' correct in charging the parcel rate on the regular envelope with bubble wrap in it, particularly if the it was not evenly thick and if it was over 3/4" thick, or the contents were not taped in place, thus could shift.

A normal bubble envelope containing stamps, a note, and a return address label should never be anything but 88 cents.

It certainly is costing a LOT more to send seeds then it did two years ago when I was doing it often. For instance, someone generously offered to send me their seed if I sent them a SASE. So, it cost $1.22 to mail the envelope to them, and I had to include 3 stamps for them to send it back to me. $1.32 more.
    It should only cost you 88 cents to mail to them. It 'should' only cost 88 cents for a member to mail you 'one' pack of seeds unless it is bigger heavier seeds such as corn, peas, beans, etc. Chances are they are requesting the 3 stamps because they are either planning on sending you additional seeds/surprises, or that they know it will take $1.22 because their PO consistently overcharges, and they just request 3 stamps, thinking it is easier for most folks as opposed to mailing $1.22 for a 1 OZ envy back to you.

Please post the city of the PO who is overcharging, as well as the street address if it is known.

If interested in trying to educate them, there are publications you can print out and show them. They evidently are not used to using or are not familiar with using the First Class Mail Shape Based Pricing Template with the 1/4 and the 3/4" slots in it.

So sad...

Sue

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

Thanks Sue. I would be interested in trying to address this issue with my local post office, so I could get the postage right and not expect it to cost me so much. Is there a link to the publications I should show them?

Also, what about the rules applying to first class vs parcel post? I'm in the habit of writing 'hand cancel' on my packages, thinking that going through the machine is less safe. Is that causing the pricing to be higher? Can I send something without requesting the hand canceling?

• NancyPlants
    13 years ago

my post office is doing great. I've sent over 10 bubble envies lately and none cost more than 88cents. Some were 4x7, some were 6x9. One had a number of packets and it was 88cents also. I did have a couple packages with bunches of packets and they were $1.56 and $2.09.
    Alls well at this Kansas post office :)

• jim_6b
    13 years ago

I completed a trade recently and as expected I was overcharged at my local PO. I didn't say anything because my daughter was with me.

I fart in their general direction!

jim_6b

• margyrose
    13 years ago

My post office over charges all the time and so I take all my mail out of town to mail. I don't believe their scales are accurate but the Postmaster there refuses to
    discuss the matter with me.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

I thought I would make an update. I contacted three of my local post offices recently to ask them about this issue of postage on the bubble envelopes. I was given a telephone number for a supervisor that I could speak to and this is what she told me.

She said if you mail a regular white flat envelope it's one $.44 stamp.
    If you mail a large flat non bubble manilla envelope, like a 10x8 size, it is the large envelope rate starting at $.88
    If you mail a Bubble Envelope, regardless of the size or the thickness, it will be charged at the Parcel Rate of $1.22 and up. She said they don't use the device at the counter for measuring a Bubble envelope for thickness, it automatically gets charged the parcel rate. If the Bubble envelope of any size, even empty goes through their machines, it comes out ruined, so they have to put all the bubble envelopes through a different system.

I explained about how we are trying to mail seeds and when you want to send a few small packets of seeds, it is getting too expensive to send at $1.22 each envelope. She said that if you put the seeds in a long white envelope, with a small amount of padding in it, and if it is under an ounce, you can put a $.44 cent stamp on it and ask for the 'non machinable' rate. They would charge you another $.20 for that and so the total cost of your envelope would be $.64.

I asked about the little gadget to measure the thickness of the envelope and she said they don't give them out, but they keep one at the counter, but they don't use it to measure bubble envelopes.

So...that's the end of the story from my end. All three post offices that I would go to, will be charging me the $1.22 per bubble envelope to mail seeds, So, I may switch to white envelopes and the 'non machinable' rate when I can and try to arrange a trade that justifies the cost of postage.

13 years ago

Oh My goodness...She is so clueless and doesn't know how to do her job and (imho) should be fired!

{{gwi:11047}}

If you mail a Bubble Envelope, regardless of the size or the thickness, it will be charged at the Parcel Rate of $1.22 and up. She said they don't use the device at the counter for measuring a Bubble envelope for thickness, it automatically gets charged the parcel rate. If the Bubble envelope of any size, even empty goes through their machines, it comes out ruined, so they have to put all the bubble envelopes through a different system.
    She is so wrong! She has been wrong ever since Shape Based pricing went into effect in May 2007...so those employees have ALL been OVERCHARGING now for going on to 4 YEARS! When will this madness end?

In order to attempt to get her properly trained (isn't it sad the customers are trying to train USPS supervisors?) I suggest you print out this bulletin...First-Class Mail Fact Sheet

At the bottom of it under First-Class Mail Quick Tips, it says"For padded bags (e.g., ReadyPost "cushion mailer"), when the thickness is 3/4" or less and the item is flat-size and somewhat flexible, the item should be classified and priced as a large envelope."

Why is that so hard for postal employees to understand? I think even a caveman could understand that!

She said that if you put the seeds in a long white envelope, with a small amount of padding in it, and if it is under an ounce, you can put a $.44 cent stamp on it and ask for the 'non machinable' rate. They would charge you another $.20 for that and so the total cost of your envelope would be $.64.
    hmmm...and we ALL know how well seeds do in regular envelopes with bubble wrap in them. The envelopes end up torn up and the seeds destroyed, if the envelope and seeds even make it to their destination and aren't totally destroyed. What about those who live in the rural and don't have the convenience of getting into the PO very often? What about those that get dropped into the blue mailboxes? Does she think that every envelope is read and sorted by hand so marking something Hand Stamp will be seen? Give me a break.

I asked about the little gadget to measure the thickness of the envelope and she said they don't give them out, but they keep one at the counter, but they don't use it to measure bubble envelopes.
    It seems strange that some of were able to get them from our post offices without any problems.

Would you mind posting her name and telephone number here along with her address? I will personally contact her superior from the list at the link below that lists all Vice Presidents and District Managers. It shows the zip code areas that are covered by each one.

Imho, she needs to be reported

littleonefb, Fran
    I really don't think anyone associated with the PO is reading this or is attempting to get anything done.

I sure wish I could get NBC, CBS, or one of the major networks to pick up on this stealing that has been going on for almost 4 years. A lot of folks should be fired for not knowing how to do their job correctly. In the private sector, a lot of these employees would have been fired long ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: USPS Management-it is an 11 page pdf file that will need to load

• kms4me
    12 years ago

This week I received two trades with 88 cents postage each. I sent out a trade (from my mailbox) with 4 small envelopes of seeds, distributed evenly, and it was returned with a note saying I owed an additional 83 cents.

Today I received two padded envelopes that were sent and metered from the senders' Post Offices for 88 cents each. METERED, not stamped, measured and weighed at their POs. Along with them came an envelope stating I needed to pay an additional 83 cents for each one as postage due!

I called and talked at length with my local postmistress, Cheryl (Lindstrom, MN). She states that bubble envelopes are considered parcels and have been for five years. She said she even went to the regional headquarters (St. Paul, I am guessing?) for clarification because our local PO had gotten in trouble for sending them as oversized envelopes. When I explained to her about the envelopes I'd received that were metered from other POs, and the fact that several envelopes did come with 88 cents and were not intercepted, she said she was going to look into it and get back to me in a day or two. Though I appreciate her time, I am not convinced that what she ends up telling me will be correct as there seems to be nationally wide-spread overcharging.

I can take my envelopes to St. Croix Falls, WI, or Forest Lake, MN and get them mailed at the large envelope rate, which I do whenever possible. But now that so many envelopes are coming postage due, that is not going to resolve this issue.

Sue, I tried the link to the First Class Mail Factsheet and it is no longer working.

Kate
    Lindstrom, MN

• karyn1
    12 years ago

My PO really screwed up this time. A member had sent what I knew was insufficient postage but I told her that I'd give it a try. Sometimes they go thru but not to be surprised if it was returned for additional funds. Well it was returned the next day. She had sent the additional postage so I put it on the envelope and mailed it again. A week later I get it back again, no new message or anything. There was now more then sufficient postage on it and I know the address was correct. Mind you that the envelope was just going to a town a couple hours away in the same state! This is so screwed up. I'm going to take it to the PO today to see if I can find out what their problem is.

• nel.nucifera
    12 years ago

My bubble envie just came back too.

5" x 6 1/4"
    1/3 inch thick

There couldn't be more than 1.5 oz in there.

I sent it with 2 stamps and it came back postage due 83 cents.

They want 1.71. I did the math and that's the price (well I checked the website) that I got for First Class Mail package. Even if it's Large Envelope it should be at most $1.08 cents.

Am I being overcharged or am I confused about prices? Either way I'm going to my P.O tomorrow to try to sort this out.

12 years ago

YIKES! I see the USPS raised their rates on April 20, 2011 for First Class Flats (padded mailers uniformly thick and flexible, and under 3/4" thick) and for First Class Parcels.

Per This site: First Class Letters will remain at $0.44 for the first ounce and one-ounce First Class Flats will remain at $0.88; each additional ounce (or half ounce for 3.5 ounce letters) will cost an extra $0.20 (previously $0.17).
    Retail rates for First Class Parcels will start at $1.71 (previously $1.22). This will be the rate for the first three ounces; each additional ounce will cost 17 cents.

Am I being overcharged or am I confused about prices?
    If your bubble meets the requirements of a Large Envelope, and they are charging you Parcel Rate, then they are indeed overcharging you.

Did you tape the contents in place so they do not shift and bunch up, causing it to be uneven, or even go over the 3/4" allowance?

I'm so sorry for you to have to 'deal with' postal workers that are not properly trained, and who are still overcharging.

Here is a link that might be useful: New (April 20, 2011) First Class Mail Rates

• pumkingal
    12 years ago

Oh I am so mad
    I just mailed out 3 very small bubbles and not heavy at all with 6-9 packets of seeds in them each one cost me $1.71,, that is way too much
    I do not have alot of money and I love trading,,,
    Would it be ok I wonder to sent small trades in regular envie with bubble stuff,,
    My postmaster said it would be .44 plus for hand cancel .22 it would be alot better for me this way,,
    I know big trades are different
    Last year I sponsered alot of newbies and big envies went out,, I paid for them to get started,, but this year I don't know if I can do that,,,
    What's any one's thought's,,sigh
    Lisa

• rqeversole
    12 years ago

Every bubble envelope I receive is metered at $1.71. However, when I mail my BE's out, I just put 2 stamps for the little guys, and for big ol, packed to the brim, couldn't get another seed pack in it, 4 stamps. I don't know if I am lucky, or over paying, or if my PO is just friendly, but it works for me. Also, a note...I never go to the PO, I always drop it in a big blue outside a busy business park. That box gets loaded down with hundreds of envelopes...maybe they are just too lazy to care when there are so many...I dunno.

About the regular envelope with bubbles inside. I recently received a small (invitation sized) envelope with 2 packs of flat seeds (eggplant & iceberg lettuce). They were wrapped in some really flattened out cheap bubbles. The envelope was absolutely tiny, but I was still charged an extra .44 upon delivery.

How I make up the difference is simple. If you put stamps on a big bubble envelope, they hardly ever "mark" them as used. I have received 4 BE's in the past few weeks that I could reuse the stamps off of because it didn't fit in there machine, and thus the stamps didn't get marked out. So I just use the same envelope, change the address and send it back out without changing the postage. All 4 envelopes went back out without costing me or the receiver a penny. I love it!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting