Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A newbie question

Posted by sudzy 5b IL (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 7, 08 at 0:15

Alright. Say I'm ready to trade. (I'm not! Still figuring things out) Do I just read the posts of members wanting to arrange trades? Or, can I do that AND also read members trade lists and email them asking for a trade?

Hope you understand my question. I'm asking if you can just randomly go through the trade lists to see what others have and contact them, even though they might not have a recent "Have to Trade" post. That would get into a privacy issue, I guess.

Thank you, Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A newbie question

You can read through others trades lists and contact them but some people are put off by "cold trades". I have found the best way is to contact people who have trades on the seed exchange page. If you don't see anything that you want you can always list a "Wanted" post.

o

There is an option to search members trade lists for seeds/plants you are looking for,you are allowed to contact people and offer a trade. I would never suggest you contact anyone and ask for seeds for postage. I have had a few people contact me offering a trade for things on my "have list",this did not put me off ,because they were offering a trade,not looking for me just to give them to them.Now the ones that just ask for seeds,get no reply from me.

I agree with Becky,I don't use this method myself and I am much more comfortable posting that I am looking for something,rather than search trade lists and contact people(some are put off,even by the trade offers). Another thing to keep in mind,is that some folks have really outdated trade lists,and you may take some time to go through these lists and get in touch with the person,to only find out they haven't updated their list in 3 years and those seeds are long gone.I think it's more practical to just post that you are looking for a certain seed/plant and offer whatever you have for trade,I have had a ton of luck in collecting seeds I really wanted, doing it this way!:)
Welcome to GW,if you need anything feel free to email me! (Oh and so you know,that offer includes seeds!:)
~Angie....who is looking to start enabling again...lol.

o

Alright. Say I'm ready to trade. (I'm not! Still figuring things out)
Hey! After your lucky day Week, I'd think you would be ready.

Still figuring things outOK...ask away!

Or, can I do that AND also read members trade lists and email them asking for a trade?
yes...both. If you are cold emailing someone, and don't get a reply though (see above), it might also be becausethat member might not even be using the GW email addy on their member page anymore. Yes...much more success I think in posting a wanted post. If it is not successful the first time, you might try it again in a couple of weeks, or when you have something new on your available list to offer.

Sue...resident busy body

o

Alrighty then, thank all of you for clearing that up for me. Smiles Sue

o

some of the member pages say if you see somthing just e-mail, im guessing those are the ones that dont mind cold e-mails,
might be a good idea for us all to put that on our pages if we like cold e-mails or not.
just remember to always put your user name in your e-mail, cold or open:) i always put christy [chrizty] at the end of my e-mails,

o

That is a good idea chrizty,and you are right,the user id is a good thing to include!:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here