Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
omg. just lost my seed trade list....gone

Posted by christinmk z5b eastern WA (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 24, 10 at 0:21

Sort of freaking out at the moment here...

Ok, earlier today I was on, adding a want to my seed trade list. For some reason the page was not loading when I hit 'submit' (could have been my internet, but don't know for certain). After five minutes of waiting I just ex-ed out of the page.
I go onto my trade list again and part of it is GONE. The 'Want' section of my list is still there, but not my 'Haves'. For some reason my 'Want' in the plant section of my page is gone too (had a only couple things listed).

What in the world happened?! Did it go away because I ex-ed out before it had loaded (although I hadn't added anything to my 'Have's list)? Is GW messing up again or something? I don't imagine there is any way of getting back my list, is there? And to think I had listed almost a hundred and thirty things and was starting to give detailed info on many of them ;-( The worst- I will have to try and recall from memory the harvest dates.
Guess this is a lesson to always keep a back-up copy of it (and to THINK last week I was planning to do just that...)
CMK

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: omg. just lost my seed trade list....gone

Yeah, that really sucks. It's not showing your 'haves' for me either.

I suppose I'll probably right click on my desktop and make a new text file. I'll keep all my stuff in there and then when I have new updates ready just copy and paste that stuff to the internet side. That way if either one gets messed up I can copy the one that is still good over the bad one.

Sorry about your loss. It will help me to be more careful though.

o

Do not fear...I did a Google search on your member name and your Exchange page came up. I then clicked on the Cached link and it brought up a cached exchange page.
I copied the lists and sent them to you via an email as there is no way to know exactly how long your page will show as it is now in Google cache. I figured it needed copied and pasted somewhere before all was 'really' lost into cyberspace.

I have made Google Documents my friend and now put things there that I used to store on my computer. Having crashed my computer numerous times, and loosing everything, I decided to store 'some' stuff elsewhere.

I use Google docs for my trade list and then can just copy and paste.
I use Google Spreadsheets for listing my daffodil collection, as well as for trade transactions.
I have a folder for recipes too, as well as other 'stuff' and I don't have to worry about any of it being lost, with my next crash, as it is bound to happen sooner or later.

Sue...resident busy body

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Documents and it's FREE!

o

Oh Sue! Thank you so much!!! You are an angel sent from heaven to help clueless people like me!

I think this was a good lesson for me about saving anything important to me from GW. I'm really going to have to look into that Google Documents...
THANK YOU SUE!!
CMK

o

Rock On, Sue! That was awesome.

o

You're welcome...glad to help.

Blushing smiley

Over the years I've learned a few little tips and tricks lurking and searching at The Computer Help Forum

I noticed you didn't update your Plant WANTS, and I still have it saved in the email I sent you...I assume you just chose to not update that portion of your list at this time. Is it safe for me to delete the email with the Plant WANTS info?

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here