Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

Bubble Envelopes-are you being charged correctly?

There have been numerous discussions in the past 15 months about the cost to mail a bubble envelope (BE) as you can see by doing a search on Postage here at the Seed Exchange alone. While many of the threads apply to the discussion of the correct charges for BE, many other threads are offering seeds for postage

Postage search results here at The Seed Exchange

If your Post Office (PO) is charging you Parcel or Package rates (starting now at $1.17) I would welcome you being a part of a mass mailing to the Postmaster General John E. (Jack) Potter. I would like members to mail a BE to me, that has a postal tape affixed as proof that the postage was incorrect. I will then BOX them up, enclose a letter detailing this 15 month old problem of customers being repeatedly overcharged, and copy excerpts of numerous replies from the numerous threads about members being overcharged for BE. I will attempt to include the state of residence those members are in, if it is known.

If you would like to participate in attempting to get this 15 month old national problem corrected, here is what I ask that you do.

1...Post here that you are interested in trying to get this corrected by getting the attention of the Postmaster General. Please sign your post with your real first name and give your state of residence if if is not on your member page.

2...email me. Please be sure and include your member name, as well as your real name. Please put Postage Problem in the subject line of the email. I will then email you back, with my address.

3...mail me a BE, either enclosing inside of it, the address of the offending PO, or writing the address on the back of the envelope. Please include your return address on the front. Please be sure and have the postage on it is a Postal Tape....Not Stamps as stamps are not proof that you were overcharged.

4...I will let you know once the BE has arrived.

For now, I am placing a deadline for participation of Sept 30, 2008 to respond here. If I get few responses, or few envelopes, I may extend it...so read on down through the thread or I will start a new one. I know long threads take a long time to open for our dial-up members.

I will not be opening the envelopes I receive.

If you care to include a note to the Postmaster, telling of your experiences, please feel free to do so.

If you would like to enclose a couple of seed packets, he will then see just exactly what is being sent in these envelopes, and that they are indeed under the 3/4" requirement. If you do send seeds, be sure the BE is indeed under the 3/4" requirement. Be sure they are uniformly thick...as in taped down, and not bunching up. Be sure they are not shifting...again...tape them down if need be.

Feel free to post any questions you have here, or email me privately.

I see attempting to get the attention of the Postmaster General as the only solution at this point....See some of the other numerous postage threads found on the search.

Sue

Comments (23)

• sudzy
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sue,
    I sent you an email last night telling you that I was on board for sending you a Bubble.

Update-- Mailing seeds to a friend this am, I was charged 1.49 for 2 1/2 ounces. I tried to explain to the clerk that it was incorrect. But, I THINK she had me. My envelope wouldn't slip though their measuring slot. Even though, I took it and shook it around a bit and it fit though just fine. She was quite willing to chat with me ...but, in the end I lost!. I don't have a printer now, so I could not go with your postal printout.

So, this is the second time it happened. The FIRST time, a different clerk didn't even try to measure my bubble in the slot, He said, bubbles have to be hand stamped so they cost more.

I have to go back up to the P O tomorrow morning with another bubble. THIS time it will fit though the slot. So we'll see.

Sorry for being so wordy.
    Sue

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I sent you an email last night telling you that I was on board for sending you a Bubble.
    Hi Sudzy/Sue! I finally got you emailed back tonight. I get so much email that occasionally it is a day or more b4 I catch up with replying....sorry.

My envelope wouldn't slip though their measuring slot. Even though, I took it and shook it around a bit and it fit though just fine.
    That is where multiple seed packs, or packs containing a lot of seeds, or the seeds are bigger, they need to be taped down, so they will be uniform and not shift throughout their travels. I saw on TV the other night a HUGE postal center, and the BE being sorted in a huge drum like thing with lots of slots in it. I can see if the contents shifted and became thicker than 3/4", that it would cause problems.

Sue

• chrizty
    15 years ago

when i mail out a BE from my mailbox with 2 stamps on it [ and only 1 or two seed pks inside]i get a slip in the mail saying i owe them money.
    i live on the end border of my town so i never been to my post office. so would 2 stamps n a postal tape work?

i have not mailed out a BE with only 2 stamps in a long time ive been putting 4 on them so i dont get a slip.
    i wonder if i put "please mail as a padded mailer not parcel if that would work?
    i can see putting 4 stamps on if i had a few seed pks in it, but only 1 or 2 is getting crazy

Original Author
    15 years ago

when i mail out a BE from my mailbox with 2 stamps on it [ and only 1 or two seed pks inside]i get a slip in the mail saying i owe them money.
    Well, with just a couple of packs of seeds they should be a padded mailer, but without seeing the BE no one can say for sure.

so would 2 stamps n a postal tape work?
    I'm sorry...did you mean to ask if 2 stamps and a postal tape would work?
    If so, the answer is no. What I mean by a postal tape, is the actual printed out postage tape a clerk would put on a BE, on the spot. They are dated, and are only to be used the day they are printed, and put on mail mailed from that actual PO.

I would suggest you calling your PO and talking to the post Master, and explain that you are being charged Parcel rate on bubble mailers, when they meet the 'less than' 3/4" guidelines and should go as Large Envelope Rate You might tell him that if he checks the Notice 3-S, First-Class Mail Shape-Based Pricing Template, he will see that you are correct.

i get a slip in the mail saying i owe them money.
    They should be telling you exactly what is owed. A one OZ parcel is $1.17, so 35 cents additional should be all that would be needed...not 2 42 cent stamps.

i live on the end border of my town so i never been to my post office.
    I am in the rural and often an not in town during PO hours, so when I am in there, I stock on stamps (42) as well and other denominations 1,2,3,5, 10 cent, so I have the exact postage needed. My rural carrier will also bring me stamps too, if I put a check made out to the USPS, and my order in the box. I get them then the next day. In fact, once you do it, you will probably get your order back in an orange envy, with an order form printed right on it.

If you cannot make any headway with your PostMaster, then Print Out Bulletin22218
    What is First-Class Mail Shape-Based Pricing?

Then highlight
    The major changes made to First-Class Mail (retail) in May 2007 are detailed here to help you understand what changed and discuss the changes with customers.

and

The maximum size for large envelopes is 15" x 12" x 3/4" thick.

and

For padded bags (e.g., ReadyPost "cushion mailer"), when the thickness is 3/4" or less and the item is flat-size and somewhat flexible, the item should be classified and priced as a large envelope.

You may also want to share that info with your post Master in a call too.

You could then give the printout to your carrier instead of putting additional stamps on a BE. Then the carrier would have to (I would think) address the situation with his/her Supervisor.

If you are ever in town during PO hours, it might be best to have a BE ready to mail to me, complete with the postal tape that will prove the overcharge....and then it can be included in the mailing to the Post Master General.

Sue

• ollierose
    15 years ago

I place my bubble envies in my mailbox, rather than taking them to the PO. I've only ever had one problem and that was addressed by the person receiving the seeds after I told them about the postage issues.

I would suggest that those being overcharged at the PO try mailing from their home to see if that works.

Diana

• freshair2townsquare
    15 years ago

When I mailed this past week, I took the USPS info sheet that you linked us to with me. After asking about shape-based pricing, they charged me regular postage + twenty cents rather than the $1.17 I paid a couple of weeks earlier. But the clerk had to go back and ask a supervisor first.

Thanks for the info, Sue.

~ Amy

Original Author
    15 years ago

After asking about shape-based pricing, they charged me regular postage + twenty cents

I'm reading more and more about this 20 cent charge they seen to be using more and more recently. If it is a bubble envy, and it is over 1/4"thick it should be 83 cents for the first OZ. If it is less than 1/4" thick and under 1 OZ it should go as a regular letter and just be 42 cents, and there should be no 20 cent charge.

I am glad to hear though that they are not overcharging you anymore. Now they are undercharging you.....It's so pathetic that they cannot seem to get it right

Sue

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

I have a receipt that I got today (from my husband taking the two bubble envies in the to post office instead of me). From what I was charged previously, $ .83 for under 1 ounce and $1.00 for the other that was between 1-2 ounces, I was overcharged this time on both. The tape register receipt shows parcel pricing of $1.17 for the .90 oz. envie and $1.34 for the 1.20 oz. one. Ewwwwwwwww... I was screaming mad... my poor husband thought I was mad at him.... LOL... ooops...

I would have mailed them from home, but I wasn't sure how much they weighed. I have the 6X9 thin bubble envies so I know they aren't anywhere near 3/4" thick even after putting many packets, taped down and spread out in them. Just to be sure they were flexible, I tested them myself to show my husband and told him the price it ought to be. For some reason, he had no idea what I was referring to until he brought back that "parcel" receipt... LOL... Now he just never wants to go to the post office for me again... he said, "Sorry! I thought I was doing ya a favor!".... Oh, goodness, that poor, sweet guy got the brunt of these threads...

Anyways, I can mail you the receipt or do I have to duplicate mail the same kind of thing to you hoping I get over-charged again? LOL (I don't really want to get over-charged again, and then what if I get charged right?)

~Angela

• medontdo
    15 years ago

i just sent a sasbe to mi, when it left here it was just fine, when it got there they said it was 58 cents short. i have everything weighed and measured all the time. it was empty for goodness sakes!! so there's no way that it should have to have more than that on it!! ~Medo

Original Author
    15 years ago

i just sent a sasbe to mi, when it left here it was just fine, when it got there they said it was 58 cents short. i have everything weighed and measured all the time. it was empty for goodness sakes!! so there's no way that it should have to have more than that on it!!
    How much did you put on it? 83 cents?

Well that one will do no good as proof...

I was overcharged this time on both. The tape register receipt shows parcel pricing of $1.17 for the .90 oz. envie and $1.34 for the 1.20 oz. one.
    Again...that is no proof as there is NO proof that it was under 3/4". The only way to prove it is to mail an overcharged one to me, and I will have 2 different postmasters verify that they are overcharged, and then send them on, unopened, to the Postmaster General.

Anyone else?

15 years ago

So, if I get the right postal worker who is charging correctly, then I've wasted my mailing to you, I guess. I could attempt this 3 or 4 times before getting the idiot who's overcharging at this particular post office. I understand and appreciate what you're trying to do, though. I may have to send it to you anyways in hopes that something can be done, but at the same time, they probably know that the problem exists and could care less about fixing it. I'm not sure giving them proof is gonna change the way they do things, as you probably already know. ugggh

This whole topic can be SO frustrating... GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

~Angela

15 years ago

Quick question because you said that you're not getting many members to back you up on this... How many have you gotten to support sending you a mailing that know that they'll be overcharged when they send it to you?

~Angela

Original Author
    15 years ago

So, if I get the right postal worker who is charging correctly, then I've wasted my mailing to you, I guess.
    NO...No need to mail it. Give them the BE and ask, "If I wanted to mail this, just how much would it cost?" If they give the correct charge, just tell them "Thanks" and that you will mail it later. If they quote the parcel cost go ahead and mail it to me.

but at the same time, they probably know that the problem exists and could care less about fixing it.
    The local (Louisville) Consumer Affairs Manager Louisville (there are 8 of them all together I think across the country) is aware of the problem and has done all she can to try and help. We have been in touch numerous times via phone and email. Please see bubble envys now 83 cents-print out for 'your' Post Office!
    She said to let her know if the problem persisted, yet I can't get any exact info to give to her...like an address of a PO. That would only mean though that that one PO would be informed. Doing them one at a time is not the answer. I've done enough of them myself. It takes a lot of time, and usually numerous phone calls to a PO.

How many have you gotten to support sending you a mailing that know that they'll be overcharged when they send it to you?
    I'll just say that the turn out has been quite disappointing. I do however have some old envies too, but they have been opened, so proof that they were under 3/4" would be questionable. Everyone just wants to talk about being overcharged, yet no one wants to work toward a solution.

Get off the pot gang!

Address for the Postmaster General-write him directly!

The answer to the problem won't be found in any discussion here. Folks are gonna have to take some action or just continue to have to overpay...plain and simple. The choice is theirs.

15 years ago

Sue, you're BRILLIANT! Thanks for the informative post here AND that incredible BEAP offer you just made! This maybe really can work! I will do anything I can to support this. I will go in on monday to send you an envy. If they overcharge me, then per your instructions, it will be on it's way to you. I'll email you or you can reply to this one for your postal address. I really do want to find a solution! I'm honestly NOT trying to be a pain in the rear-end, I promise!

~Angela

Original Author
    15 years ago

This maybe really can work!
    I think getting the attention of the Postmaster General with a mass mailing of a lot of envelopes in a box along with excepts of posts made by members since May 2007 (when this fiasco first started) may be the solution.

Angela,
    I don't think you or anyone else is being a pain. I have just been disappointed that though there are so many members being overcharged, they will not go to the time and trouble of mailing one overcharged envy to me to try and help with this problem.
    I got your email, and will reply here shortly.

Sue

• medontdo
    15 years ago

sue i wish i could help, but we don't have that thingi at our po, we still use all stamps, she said that we haven't gotten that far ahead yet, LOL so when someone comes in and they want to put 15 dollars on a box they put all stamps, i had to do that last summer!! i spent 10 on a box. but this time, i was smart and bought the dollar ones!! LOL Hee Hee ~Medo

15 years ago

Well, this might be why I've been overcharged (as I was again today):

My envies are 6x9... so my height and length do not qualify as a large envelope after all and since they're over 1/4 inch (or at least arguably close), they only are qualifying as a parcel.

Apparently, all I have to do is increase the envelope size I'm sending out (i.e. a 7x12 envy or 9x12 and many other larger, rectangular dimensions).

I'm glad you didn't send your addy yet, Sue, or I would have mailed you an improperly sized envy, and of course that won't help as proof.

~Angela

• medontdo
    15 years ago

diana_lady just sent me a envelope, should have been no more than 83 cents at the very most, came with 42 and 75 cents because they told her it was a parcel. i know, no proof, i told her she needs to come here and check it out, i'm not sure if she will. but i hope she does :') this is just crazy!!! ya'd think with them charging so much at least they would have cancelled the stamps!! but no. they do a good job of that here. :') most generally. ~Medo

Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, this might be why I've been overcharged (as I was again today):

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My envies are 6x9... so my height and length do not qualify as a large envelope after all and since they're over 1/4 inch (or at least arguably close), they only are qualifying as a parcel.

The way it was explained to me was this.... Your envy meets the requirements for a regular envy, except for the thickness. It then is to go up to Large envy rate...not parcel...per my postmaster and the template they use.

Sue

15 years ago

Sue, I apologize for not writing back to this post sooner. I realized I was wrong shortly after posting the dimensions of the envy above that was allowed. Only one minimum can be broken for it to go up to the next level just as you explained in the post above. I'm sorry for confusing the matter.

~Angela

15 years ago

I just sent some seeds off on one of my trades. I fit 5 small plastic baggies spread out within the bubble sleeve inside a regular, business-sized envy, so I figure it's anywhere from 1--5 baggies of seeds can go inside very easily, maybe even six. I do know that 5 just went and was weighed by the post office as less than 1 ounce. I got the 42 cent charge and a 20 cent non-machineable charge, so it mailed for 62 cents. (I really don't think it was non-machineable, but I wasn't going to argue this time. Do you know what non-machineable really is or is it anything they say it is? It wasn't rigid or what have you...)

Anyways, that's not too bad for a trade of 5 different kinds of seeds. The envelope sleeve, even though brand new, cost only 22 cents each because I cut it down to fit inside a regular envy as a sleeve, so that makes a totaly of 84 cents is all. Plus, my mini-baggies I just got in only cost 1.5 cents a piece since I found them on ebay. Regardless, that's under $1 per trade even with everything being brand spank'en new.
    When I try to mail the bubble envies, I am being pegged to be over-charged almost every time now if I go inside the post-office. This particular trip I wasn't charged parcel or I would have sent the envy to you that I'm sending soon.

But because they usually are overcharging me, I've chosen to mail with the appropriate postage after I've weighed and measured the envies here at home. I just got a scale, so that is already turning out to be much easier. I sure hope this isn't causing anyone I send to end up being charged "postage due". I'll make it right if it does as long as they let me know, but I'm sure not going to pay more every single time I trade than what I really owe just because once in a while someone is charged on the receiving end when they shouldn't be. Ugggh... this does get frustrating...

~Angela

• medontdo
    15 years ago

ok, today they were gonna charge me 1.17 to send them seeds. under or maybe 1/4" thick. she said it was not machinable and had ridges. he** all of them are ridges. and they are all non bendable like they do it. and at that she should have only charged me the 2 stamps correct?? so i said no,,,, for what?? she told me. again. then she said well. we could send it thru and see what they do. heck chris always does that!! and never gives me any problems. NEVER>!!! ~Medo

15 years ago

I mailed it off today. I weighed it here and it was .8 ounces... they charged me $1.17. It was also under 3/4".... they marked it as non-machineable, but I guess you'll see that when you receive it. I had 3 paper coin envelopes with lentil seeds in them with bubble wrap on both sides along with a note, which is how I send out many of my real trades. I sure hope this helps the cause!!!

Blessings,
    Angela