Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaruzicka

just how big is...

lindaruzicka
15 years ago

a dahlia supposed to grow??? The one that was my grandmother's is almost to my shoulder!!! Is that normal???

Comments (8)

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

I am not a Dahlia expert,but I know Gramma has some pretty big varieties. Your Grandmother's is probably a giant type,arent they gorgeous? I haven't ventured into the world of Dahlia just yet. I have grown the shorter types that are sold as annuals here,(amazingly I had one return 2 years in a row!),but I am thinking f possibly picking up a few for next year and see how it goes!

• ollierose
    15 years ago

Mine aren't anywhere near that tall, but they are in their first year. I have seen some pretty tall varieties though. I hope mine get that big!

Diana

• luvsgrtdanes
    15 years ago

The dinner plate dahlias are rather tall, under the best circumstances some have been know to grow 6' There is also a dahlia tree that gets extremely tall...Post a picture of the flower if you can at the dahlia forum and you can most definitely get an ID. There are some very knowledgeable and great people there. Watch out they are addicting!!!

• medontdo
    15 years ago

ohhhhhhhhhh i want some!!!! i have small ones no big ones!! talla's are small,, but very pretty, i didn't even like them, she did. so i got them. now i kinda like them, LOL ~Medo

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I even had my neighbor stop and ask what they were. When I told her that it was a dahlia, she was shocked!.."L"..Medo, if I can get seeds from them, I'll send you some.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

PICS! PICS! We want pics!

Linda,

Is this the first season growing them? You do know they are not hardy in your area, and you will need to dig, dry and store them over winter...right?

Then inf the spring (or yet this fall) you should see where they will 'eye up' on the tubers. Each tuber with an eye, can then be cut away, and it will make a whole new complete plant next season.

There are different methods too for packing them for winter storage. It sure would be nice if they had some FAQ over at the dahlia forum. Often they just refer members with questions to another site...like a Dahlia Society.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Digging, Dividing, and Storing Dahlia Tubers Page 1

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'd love to post pics if I knew how to do it...I'll have to wait until I can get hold of my daughter.

Sue,
    I didn't know any of that about dahlias, I just dug it up at my grandmother's last year and stuck it in the ground.. It came up this year like this. I guess my grandmother must've been watching out for it!.."L"

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

I didn't know any of that about dahlias, I just dug it up at my grandmother's last year and stuck it in the ground.. It came up this year like this. I guess my grandmother must've been watching out for it!.."L"

You were lucky in your zone I guess. I happen to have a small (I call ugly) one that I bought years ago. It is what is called a patio dahlia. It has returned 4 years now. It must be in a really well protected area, and is planted on the south side of the house. I would never 'trust' leaving a 'good' one to overwinter in the ground here though.

I'd love to post pics if I knew how to do it..
    In a nutshell, here is how I post them, but there are numerous places to store one's pics on line besides Photobucket.

Here is how I did/do it.

First register and set up a Photobucket (free)account...Here
    Then upload the pics you would like to post, to Photobucket.

Once that is done,
    just type your message,
    open Photobucket in another tab, or window,
    find the pic you want to post in the message,
    click on HTML code found in the third box below the pic. It will say copied in yellow,
    go back and paste the HTML in your message box,
    hit preview,
    you will then see your message, and the actual pic,
    and lastly hit submit

Stop over to the Test Forum On Topic Discussions
    There are several of us 'regulars' there that can help. We/they don't check the Gallery side of the forum nearly as much as we do the Discussion side.

See ya there maybe? We have a good time there, posting nonsense...which is what it is there for, per the Forum Instructions.

My silly thread there....This thread is about nothing

Sue

Sponsored