Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dumb Question: Do African Violets seed???

Posted by booboobolhuis 7, Oklahoma (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 11, 10 at 17:14

I KNOW it's a really, really dumb question but do African Violets seed? And if so how do I know when it has seeds that are ready to be collected? Thank you and NO JOKES,lol!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dumb Question: Do African Violets seed???

Yes they do but I've only seen one pod in many years and several AV's. It dries and splits. I just kept a close eye on my seed pod but I guess you could cover it with something to catch the seed. I know very little about AV's but I'm sure you will get an educated answer if you post on the African violet forum.

o

Thank you karyn1, I bought two for each of my daughters and they seem to be doing really wel for Home Depot purchases. I just didn't know how they seed or where to even look. This is my first experience with African Violets so I have no idea. Thanks again

o

Most people keep the spent blooms picked off so that they will continue to bloom and no seeds can form.
I don't know if I would have the discipline to leave one with dried up flowers alone long enough to harvest seeds if they did get pollinated, but I grew some from purchased seeds years ago.
Alana, who is getting tired of looking at some multiple posts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here