Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flwrs4ever

I have the best news ! :)

flwrs4ever
15 years ago

Just wanted to let everyone know..I will be off the forum for the next 10 days, as I am going home to Pitsburgh area...but the best part is ....I GET TO MEET ANGIE (AGIRLSGIRL) Isnt that just the coolest ? She is always so welcoming on the site...and I know she and I will have a great time..so I will miss chatting with you all..but will have to fill you all in when I return.

I hope you all are having a great August, and I am working on the seed saving, so I can enable again this fall. I have to say..I love all the plants I have grown this year from all my great friends here..

Have a great week, and see you all soon !

Comments (24)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

That is Great News! I just know the 2 of you will have a great time.

That is the coolest...and be sure and take baggies or lots of envies for snatching seeds everywhere.

Sue

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

How cool!

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

I can't wait! :) When Kym told me she was coming home for a visit, and that she was going to make time for me,it made my day! I think we may just have a bit of fun! I plan to push seeds on her and hopefully a few plants....hee-hee....

• pattygrow5
    15 years ago

I am feeling left out Angie I am still trying to meet up with you and I live here in PGH.I would love to meet Kym too maybe the 2 of you could stop over at my house and see my garden?
    Patty

• chrizty
    15 years ago

have fun!

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

Sending you an email Patty!:)

• ollierose
    15 years ago

I'm so jealous! Darn it Angie, when are they going to move PA and GA next to each other? It would make things so much easier!

You guys are going to have the best time ever!!

Diana (who wishes she could hop on a plane and be in PA by dinner tonight!)

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

LOL...our time will come! ;)
    I really think it is a shame PA and GA are not neighboring states,we should right a letter to our local government...lmao! :D

Hmmmm....why couldn't you jump on a plane and be here by lunch on Sunday? I am sure Wyatt could hold down the fort while you are gone!....lol...

• ollierose
    15 years ago

Maybe I could find a bubble envy big enough to fit in - wonder if they'd mail me for the costs of 2 stamps?

LOL!

15 years ago

Hey...it is not unheard of for one to plan one's vacation around a gardening function. I 'think' Remy, from New York, planned her vacation to Ohio to taste and share tomatoes and meet other tomatoholic cyber friends.

Only a tomatoholic would go that far though for tomatoes.

Sue...another admitted tomatoholic

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

Oh Diana,I only wish that was possible,I am sure the PO would have some outlandish charge for transporting humans! Darn them! We will have to work on something for next year! I would love to find an in between spot that was good for many members,so we could all get together and do one hell of a plant/seed swap! I think,good food,good people and good plants would make an awesome function! :)

Oh Sue,add me to that club! I just wish I could figure a way to grow them all season here,without making a huge investment. Some day! :) Since Remy and yourself are such tomatoholics,maybe the 2 of you could give me some advice on toms to grow next year. I want plants that require little to no staking,resistant to pests and disease and taste great of course. I have 18 plants this year in my little 10x10 tomato garden...I know I am a nut!....anyway some of them want to sprawl out and some of them are really good citizens,like Mortgage Lifter,such a well behaved monster! So if you guys can throw some names at me,I would appreciate it! :)

15 years ago

So if you guys can throw some names at me,I would appreciate it! :)
    I'll get back atcha on that.

I have 18 plants this year in my little 10x10 tomato garden...I know I am a nut!.
    YIKES! That is too many for them to produce and have air flow, which is necessary for good health. My suggestion if you want to grow 18 or more plants next year, is to plan on having a bigger area available for them.

I imagine Remy or someone will come along with a minimum spacing requirement. With minimal space, you really need to consider staking and/or caging them...containers is another possibility too....maybe?

Sue

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

"So if you guys can throw some names at me,I would appreciate it! :)
    I'll get back atcha on that."
    Thanks! :D

"That is too many for them to produce and have air flow, which is necessary for good health. My suggestion if you want to grow 18 or more plants next year, is to plan on having a bigger area available for them."
    I was afraid of that,but,actually they are doing quite well,where the garden is placed gets tons of air flow,it is at a peak of a hill,the air is constantly moving through them above and below their leaf canopy. My plants are loaded with tomatoes! I have pics,I will post them when I get some time to sit here for awhile and upload them to photobucket.
    And I have no intention on starting this many next year,I sowed them planning for some to fail...lol..well,that did not happen! I gave 14 to Gramma and 1 to my nephew.

At least I have many different varieties,I did start 5 Romas,and a couple other paste tomatoes,I want to see which makes the best sauce! I like to have them to make sauce with,for slicing,stuffing and munching!

Anyway,I appreciate any advice on selection you have and I will get those pics asap!

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi All,
    I haven't been over to this forum for awhile and look what I find!

Sue,
    "Only a tomatoholic would go that far though for tomatoes." LOL, yes my name is Remy and I'm a tomatoholic, and I did plan a vacation around a tomato party in Cinncinati.
    My party, Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest, is Sat. Sept. 6th, you know year are welcome to come! Oh, and we decided it will be the Sat. after Labor Day every year. So you can always make future plans. : )

Angie,
    Speaking of that I have a repeat attendee coming from Pittsburg this year. Yes, my party is that good, lol : ) They are going to do the whole Niagara Falls thing too this year.
    About the plants, I pack them in, not as close as you've got them though! If you are going to grow them that close, you must keep a check on disease, because it will spread fast if it comes. Also, you really need to replenish the soil very well for next season since the plants will suck the life out of it.
    As Sue suggested, they do do very well in pots also. You obviously need to water often, but otherwise they are easy to care for. For in containers, since they are spreading little mound types, I suggest Sophie's Choice and Silvery Fir Tree. For in the garden, Mountain Princess is a good determinate. Most of the others I grow are quite large plants and can only recommend by taste.
    Remy

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

Thanks Remy!:) So far so good,I check them for "cucky" stuff pretty regularly,being I started these babies under lights and they are my first shot at growing toms by seed,I am extra protective of them,:).If any show any signs of disaster,they will be removed immediately!
    As for the soil there,it has never been gardened. There was a shed there forever,when we removed it ,I was greeted with 1/2 clay 1/2 sand,literally,one 1/2 0f the area was clay and the other sandy! So I spent the better part of the spring amending it! Lots of Horse Manure and clippings! As I planted the plants out,I back filled the holes with StaGreen and or Miracle Grow soils. So after this season or in the beginning of next,I will be getting a load or two of manure again (I have some beds that grew in before I got a chance to amend),I will top dress the Veggie garden a couple inches,also! Next year my toms will be in a border garden along the side of the yard,at least that is the plan!:)
    Thanks so much for the advice ladies,I will work on getting my tom pics posted on Monday,I am a busy girl today,preparing for Kym's arrival tomorrow! I actually spoke with Kym yesterday! That makes 4 GW members I have actually had the pleasure of actual conversation! Kym will be the first I meet face to face,I cant wait! She is a such a sweetie! She has insisted that I dont go crazy preparing for her visit...lol...now you know this yard has to be the best it can be at this point right?...lol...I would never have a gw friend come here without the grass being cut and so forth....I want a witness that these seeds are in good hands...lol...besides that,I plan to pick her brain also,I am betting she has a ton of useful advice for me for some of this stuff I have never grown before! :) I am so excited about this visit and can hardly wait,I never in a million years thought I would be talking with and meeting people online! Well here is the only place I visit these days,and the other sites were garden related also,so thats what I mean by "online".

Remy,I am going to look up Mt. Princess and see if that is what I am after,so far I am really enjoying the Stupice,very tangy the way I like 'em! The Red Homesweet has got the most perfectly round toms on it,and seems to be a well behaved plant! I have harvested so far,1 Tommy Toes (which I will not grow again,it is very aggressive!),1 Ugly and about 6 Stupice! There is a ton of green toms out there and I am betting,they will all ripen around the same time...lol...I will be putting that seal a meal to good use! :)Thanks again,I am glad you decided to drop in,you should never stay away too long,or we will start talking about you...lol....jk!

Well I am off to put my living room back together! Have a great Saturday! :)

• chrizty
    15 years ago

lol dont over do it Angie, ya dont want to be dozen off wile shes there,:)

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

LOl....I know that wouldn't be considered a good hostess!
    I have to keep moving or at least doing something or I get really restless (thats why this seed thing is good for me),I feel like I will jump out of my skin!
    I had so many things I had planned to do this week and weekend already,so Kym's visit really gave me the kick I needed and got me in gear! :)

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Hope you ladies have a wonderful time tomorrow!! How exciting to meet a friend from here. I've met other long time friends from my FFRPG group and very much enjoyed it!

Kathy

• medontdo
    15 years ago

WOW that's alot of tomato plants!! i have 10 in a prob. 20 x 25 space. i have 4 of patio, beef steak, 1 that's just green, 3 tomato/potato and these suckers are huge (to me!! LOL) iwanted to plant the roma, but they didn't germinate, dang things!! and i wanted the morgage lifter, but i don't know what happende there. so all in all, some flopped and some didn't, i woulda had a very nice crop!! LOL i coulda planted over 20 and that woulda been cool!! LOL :') i coulda been canning, but i give everything away!! LOL hmmmmm.....how ever am i gonna start canning??? LOL `Medo

ps have fun angie and flwrs4ever!!!

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

Oh medo ,you will figure it out and all will be good!:)

Kym just left here a few hours ago,and I must say it was a very pleasant visit! She brought her gorgeous daughter with her,also!!!! What a great kid! Such a pretty girl inside and out!(See Kym,I told you I would go on about her!)
    Anyway,we had a great time,we played seeds and talked plants,oh what fun! I cant wait til she is back home (for good!:)! Kym is an awesome person,who I have ALOT of respect for and we had a great time! She made the most beautiful White Chocolate Roses for me,a whole bunch of them "planted"in a beautiful pot,I gotta picture that I will post! And she brought a yummy cake that I am enjoying right now! :D
    Well,I am off to check out a few things and get ready for bed! Kym will be here until next week,so we should see her around after that!
    Nite-Nite~

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Angie,
    I'm glad to hear you had a wonderful visit! White chocolate roses! Sounds much too pretty to eat.
    "never stay away too long,or we will start talking about you" LOL!
    Remy

• flwrs4ever
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, just wanted to let you all know I am back..and had a wonderful time in PA...sure wish I was still there !

I had such a wonderful time getting to meet Angie, and her wonderful family..they sure know how to make you feel like you are welcome ! Her son is just too cute, and I think I have a new trading buddy !

Angies garden is just amazing, and she has done a lot in one season...cant wait to see it again next summer ! Her son showed me his praying mantis, and some caterpillars.

Angie and I talked for about 6 hours, and it felt like I was there 5 minutes..I didnt even tell her things I wanted too...LOL

Angie, thanks so much for a wonderful time..and I hope next time we can spend more time together. The plants all made it safely, and will get a space of honor in the garden !

I was wondering if the other GW'rs that are in the area..would you like to all go to a park or something next season ? We could plan a picnic..and do a get to gether..this trip was too short of notice for me to make too many plans..

Thanks again Angie, we had such a great time !

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

Hey Kym! You are back! I am glad you made it home safely! :)
    Of course you are welcome! Always! :)

Devin is looking forward to his trade with you, and has told everyone he has come into contact with about it!....lol..He has been checking those seeds everyday to see if they are ready,and he has told the Gold Finch to back off....lol...we will see if they listen,I am betting they don't,so we are going to bag them!:)

I am so glad you had a good time Kym,I had a wonderful time hanging out with you. 6 hours did fly right by! But at least we got to play seeds! :D

Your idea for next year is a good one, why don't you start a new thread with your idea? I think it would get more attention that way! I really think it would be a blast! :)

Remy,they are beautiful,I have got to get the pic posted!(the new photobucket is driving me crazy!!!)
    One of them is already in the upright freezer to be preserved for eternity...lol..I do have a hard time eating pretty things,so I feel better if I save one...lol...they are delicious!Kym is a woman of many talents! :) Hey you aren't too far off from PA,would you be interested in making the trip next year? I know you have a lot you are involved in,so if you cant I would understand,but it would be super fabulous to meet you too! :D

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi Angie,
    Geesh! It has been awhile since I checked in over here!
    I understand the eating pretty things problem since I have a using pretty things problem, lol.
    You never know about making a trip down there! You know I know another gardener(PenguinGardener) from where you are so it would be a great trip to make. Then possible you could think about coming to the tomato party up here. : ) I'm also hoping Sue(Chemocurl) will decide to come here for it one of these years. That would be fun!
    Remy

Sponsored