Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_970892

Mailing Costs for Bubble Envelopes (BE)

littleonefb
14 years ago

There have been some questions about postage costs for bubble envelopes for seeds and what is considered asking for more postage than is really required.

So I though it was a good idea to bring back this thread with the new postage prices.

I also wanted to add that when I do offer seeds for BEAP, (bubble envelope and postage), I do ask for a bit more than the actual cost to mail.

BUT,

the reason I do that is to make it easy for everyone. I could ask for the exact postage needed and I do have a digital postal scale to weigh and get the exact cost,

But, most people don't have an assortment of postage stamps in various amounts to send the exact amount of postage.

Therefore when the postage is for up to 1 ounce I ask for 2 stamps, but when the postage is over 1 ounce and under 2 ounces, instead of asking for the exact postage amount of $1.05, I ask for 3 stamps which equals $1.32 postage.

This is just convenience for everyone, not meant to be an overcharge to anyone, and I don't believe that it should be seen and thought of as charging more than needed to send seeds.

On the other hand, charging more than just a bit more needed in postage stamps or suggesting that extra postage stamps is appreciated when sending for free seeds, is seen as selling seeds and not allowed on Gardenweb and is against the rules.

OK, INFO BELOW IS THE NEW RATE CHARGES AND INFO FOR MAILING BUBBLE ENVELOPES

Bubble envelopes which are empty, or under 3/4" thick are classified as and to be charged as Large Envelopes and referred to as Flats) The contents (seed packs) should be taped in place, so the BE will be uniformly thick, and that the seeds don't shift, and then cause problems with the USPS equipment.

LARGE ENVELOPES RATE (BE UNDER 3/4 " THICK)

Up to 1 oz=$ .88

Up to 2 OZ=$1.05

Up to 3 OZ=$1.22

Up to 4 OZ=$1.39

Up to 5 OZ=$1.56

Other rates up to 13 OZ can be found at the link below. Anything over 13 OZ will then go as Priority mail (1 LB) and will be $4.80 unless one tells the clerks it is to go Parcel Post.

If there are numerous generous amounts of seeds sent, or if the seeds are bigger, the BE may be more than 3/4" thick, and then will go at Parcel Rate. It is not necessary to tape packets down if it is a bigger bulky envelope over 3/4" thick.

PARCEL RATES

Up to 1 OZ=$1.22

Up to 2 OZ=$1.39

Up to 3 OZ=$1.56

Up to 4 OZ=$1.73

Up to 5 OZ=$1.90

Up to 6 OZ=$2.07

Other heavier (First Class) Parcel Rates can be found at the link below.

Fran

Here is a link that might be useful: First Class rates for Large Envelopes and Parcels

Comments (46)

• medontdo
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

i see it this way, first off, people are getting them free. so they should not be griping around about it. and second of all, i don't see them out there picking these free seeds? growing the free seeds. or packaging the free seeds, NOT to mention getting all the pulp off of them and drying them off??!! it can be pretty tedious at times. especially when it comes to getting the seeds from the flowers!! do you know how long it took me to get all those tiny seeds from every single primrose?? i'm still not done!! and we're not even talking about the dang white verbascum!! **big onery grin** so when i see people griping i think its just plain rude, i think 3 stamps is nice Fran. :') i know how much you go thru to do all of your seeds! and you have WAY more than i'd ever think of having!! do you know last year, i think that it was alot nicer here, did ya notice that? this year it seems that people have been a little different?? maybe its just that times are a little tighter?? **just thinking out loud** but i do still meet some really nice people!! **big smile** just had to add a little comment :') ~medo

• jim_6b
    14 years ago

Fran,
    There is nothing wrong with asking for 3 stamps for return postage. I do the same. Yes it's more than what it should be, you and I both know that but the morons at the post office don't. My local P.O. says all bubble envelopes will be charged as a parcel and not as large envelopes. That being said I don't look at it as us overcharging people, it's the people at the P.O. overcharging everyone and they are the ones with the fancy postage templates. I get so mad I want to scream but I don't know how to spell it!
    I think I'll get my homemade template and test it tomorrow. hehe
    jim_6b

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

I think I'll get my homemade template and test it tomorrow.
    Jim, did you ask for a template at your PO? If so, exactly what did they say? I can/will relay the info to someone who can/will get one sent to you.

I do have to know that you did indeed ask, and what you were told. I also need the address of the PO that is not on board.
    Possibly my local person can talk to the postmaster there and get things worked out that they will get you a template and get on board with the correct charges

Medo, I just think the veterans aren't on the board so much at this time of year. So many things are not ready for this years seed harvest, so one runs the risk of getting last years (or older) seeds, or seeds that have not been properly matured and dried. I think later on in the fall more of the 'oldies' will be showing up.

I miss agirlsgirl (Angie)as she doesn't hang here much anymore. I think she is into that winter sowing cult.

Sue

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Jim, Medo, and Sue,

I try my best to get the seeds cleaned, but I don't kill myself over it. a bit of chaff is fine and nothing to worry about.
    I don't like sending an entire seed head, though. too many times, the seed head ends up not having much in it in the way of seeds.

Jim, the post office are all morons except for Sue's. I gave up going to the post office long ago. Hubby just drops the bubblies in the mailbox outside the post office and goes on his way.

Odds are, after the scenes he made in their last year, if he went inside they would look at him and call the cops.

HMM, maybe he should do that, since most of the cops now all grew up in our house and are friends, close friends of both of our grown kids.

Scene might go like this. cops arrive at the post office and go inside for a problem with a customer.

They walk in and

"Hi MR. B. How are you, how is Mrs B.?"

They go off to find out what the problem is and find out "it's Mr. B."

They look at the postal clerks and say "are you kidding us? Mr. B. is your problem? Sure, are you crazy?" one says in 26 years I've never seen or heard Mr. B get angry, upset, raise his voice, cause a problem and you are trying to tell me that Mr. B. needs to be arrested for causing a problem in the post office? I can't even begin to imagine what any of you could have done to cause Mr. B. to be upset."

other cop "You got it, Mr B. never gets angry or anything, can't believe there is a problem."

"Mr B. what is going on?"

Mr B says "the stupid idiots here, morons for that matter are trying to steal my hard earned money and charge me the incorrect price to mail these bubble envelopes. they can't read, they can't comprehend and now they are telling me that their own postal info is wrong and they are right."

Cop "what are you talking about? stealing money. let me see the paper you have."

hubby shows the paper, and says. "see bubble envelope, first class postage, under an ounce, costs $.88 and they want to charge me more than that and tell me that the postmaster general is wrong and they are right."

other cop looks and says "yup, he's right, stealing money from the customer is a crime, maybe you are the problem and not Mr. B. Charge him the correct price.

Oh, by the way, how is it that the post office is in the red when they are stealing money right and left from people by overcharging them."

End of story, hubby pays the correct price and he and 2 cops walk out of post office to the cheers of the rest of the customers.

Yup, time to get hubby to the post office and see if this really happens.

Oh SUE, angie isn't over the wintersowing forum either. haven't seen here there all winter, spring or summer.

haven't seen her posting anywhere anymore for quite some time.

Fran

• jaynine
    14 years ago

I'm sure it's noone's evil plan to get rich by 'overcharging' for sasbe, but I feel that the exact amount of postage should always be asked for. If that's not possible, unused postage should be returned. The lucky people taking you up on your generous offer don't 'owe' you anything (if seeds are particularly difficult to harvest or clean, don't offer them).
    On the other hand, if my post office was one of those who doesn't use their own chart and routinely overcharges, i might think differently--or use a different post office, if possible. I usually mail from home & sometimes write on the front of the package under the stamps (for example): 'per usps:

• freshair2townsquare
    14 years ago

Sue ~

75019 - Coppell, TX - Yolanda - October 2008 - I quit trading seeds for several months after this conversation.

Showed me the templete when asked, then *refused* to look at the 3 step test to determine whether it should still be regular postage. She just looked at me and repeated, "its a parcel, ma'am." I'm sure she thought she was being polite and professional with a difficult customer - she was never rude or discourteous at all. But she was wrong and simply would not think.

~ freshair

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"I'm sure it's noone's evil plan to get rich by 'overcharging' for sasbe"

Wish I could agree with that statement, and I must say that 99% of traders are not attempting to do something like that,

BUT,

When you have someone posting for BEAP?SASBE seeds and sending 6 datura seeds and wants a bubble envelope and 6 postage stamps, that's profiting in my book. no how your try to look at it. That's $2.64 postage to send a packet of 6 seeds in a bubble envelope that should cost no more than $.88 postage,

When You have someone posting for one kind of seeds and posts one kind of seed in each post, wants 3 postage stamps for just 1 packet of seeds and a bubble envelope and and also includes that extra stamps would be nice for all the effort and work or some such wording, then mails the seeds in a small white envelope and uses one postage stamp, that's profiting as well and no other way to look at it, that's a profit of 2 stamps and a bubble envelope and no doubt extra stamps that where sent to be nice.

There are lots of ways to package seeds for trade and free for postage and they can be simple and not very expensive and go the gammit to fancy and taking extra time to do them.

That is the choice of the person offering the seeds, but by no means does someone owe the trader something special or extra because of the way the seeds are packaged, and no one should be asking for additional anything because the seeds where packaged in fancy seed packets or anything else.

If it's a pain to clean certain seeds and takes too long, then either don't collect them for trades or free offers, or trade them as special trades for something that you really, really want.

It's usually the newbies that get caught up in the offers that are so extreme, they are new and don't know better.

Unfortunately it can be some of the oldies that try to take advantage of the new members and they do need to be warned about what is right and what is wrong.

Fran

• jaynine
    14 years ago

It's a shame that some must take the generous & sharing spirit of GW and turn it into something unpleasant. I feel really bad for the people who've been taken advantage of, but can see how easily it could happen if you're ignorant of the pertinent information. You're right, Fran-it's best to post this info on a regular basis for those who are new (i wonder how many people sign up in a week?). Hopefully they know where to look! Should a link be posted on the discussion side?

• columbine21
    14 years ago

Thanks so much! I am a "newbie" and this is helpful information!

Rebekah

• medontdo
    14 years ago

yes fran i totally agree, 6 seeds for 6 stamps is totally ridiculous, or even for 3 stamps. considering that you get what, at least 60-100 from one thingi. so in my book, that's alot of "money" being made from these.
    when i see that someone is new, i put two new links on there email. the facts thingi, well i just started this, and the rate and review, so they can look up their trades befor hand, but i also let them know that when trading that they should ask what the quantities are befor hand just to make sure. i like being helpful. and i don't care if they email me 20 times, that's what we're here for. to help them along with our info.
    you may be right jaynine. i said that wrong, i was in a mood. but i stand by what i said. i always say 3 mainly so it covers everything.
    i finally got my template!!! WOOO HOOO!!!! its hard card board with a kinda plastic covering, i'm going to laminate it to make it stronger then carefully cut out the holes.
    ~medo

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Oh I was so angry...Went into our local PO on Friday. Of course it's the Holiday weekend, so the low end of the totem pole or those that want overtime are working. Our regular gal was not working. I sent my little one in with a bubble envelope...under 1 oz with paperwork in it. It was the only envelope I could find in the house, so I used it. Well as some may know, stopping by the PO for me is not an easy task. Anyway, it had two forever stamps on it and the woman barked at my son and threw the package back at him, scolding to him that it needed two more stamps. He came...almost in tears, back to the car and said, "it needs two more stamps"!

Oh my I could tell his tail was between his legs and I was a might angry. I walked in and sternly asked the woman behind the counter to please weigh the package. She refused to weigh it. She said, "It's packaged as a parcel so it will go parcel rate!"

I argued with her and said it was under 3/4 of an inch and I mail them all the time. She shouted, "Well I'm not going to take it!!!!!!" then threw the package at me!

She claimed that bubble envelopes are considered parcel packaging. So my calls on Tuesday AM, to the Postal Inspector, will NOT be nice!!!!! Not only was she totally out of line with my son, she was horrific to me as well.

I told her I would be bringing in the information listed on the USPS website and she shouted at me from clear across the entire room, "After 21 years, I think I know the rules for mailing!!!!!!!!" She shouted, "You need to read all the "RULES" for envelopes!!!"

I'm absolutely shocked at her behavior and this issue needs to be resolved somehow! I had a package that was time sensative and I had no choice but to put TWO more stamps on a package that should have shipped at $.88!

After arriving back home, I searched the USPS website and there is absolutely NOTHING I can find regarding bubble envelopes being classified as parcels.

Any advice before I have my telephone calls??? Would sure appreciate any input.... but I'll also post the outcome of my phone calls.

Toni

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Toni,

Click on the link in the first post that I did. It will take you directly to the USPS posting on first class mail prices. scroll down to the section on large envelopes and you have what you need right in front of you, right off the USPS website.

When the idiot at the post office starts to argue with you, which I'm sure he/she will, cause I think it is part of their job and they are trained to to argue with the customer,
    Just read the statement right off their own website.

One idea I have is to just mail the bubblies in the mailbox outside the post office. I've been doing that for more than a year now. I have a scale, weigh everything first, put the correct postage on the bubblie and in the mailbox they go.
    So far everything has gone through with the proper postage on it and no one has let me know that it didn't have enough postage on the envelope.

Good luck

Fran

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Oh I printed it off and have it right from their website. Unfortunately, I wasn't prepared for that stop as it would have just gone into the mailbox...but my little one didn't know. She was incredibly rude and it has to stop. I usually just drop them in the PO, but my son thought I wanted him to hand it to the idiot behind the counter. I couldn't believe she was so rude to him.

I'm on the phone Tuesday AM and will be discussing this issue with the postal inspector. Don't know how far it will get me, but hey...it's a start and I'm not taking their garbage any more.

Thank you so much for your input and I'll sure let you know what happens :) LOL it's a warpath! Mama Bear is mad!

Toni

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"LOL it's a warpath! Mama Bear is mad!"

you go girl, people should learn to never get in the way of an angry mom, and as my kids used to say,

"Be careful how you treat me, talk to me, you really don't want to have to deal with the wrath of my mother. You'd be better off dealing with a living T-rex."

Actually, Toni, I'm more concerned about the attitude towards your son, a child. That was about as uncalled for as you can get. And that postal worker, deserves at the very least, a repremand. Better yet, she should be forced to apologize to your son and you as well.

Step number 2 would be to properly teach this postal worker how to behave and do her job.

step 3 would be to educate the postal workers on the proper charges as well.

Chances of step 3 being done, though are appearing to be slim and none.

Good luck "mama bear"

Fran

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

I couldn't agree with you more Fran. I was shocked at how she treated my son, before I ever walked in the door. That's why I sternly asked her to weigh the package. I know the time of day she worked and the date, so there will be a formal complaint filed. And I won't stop until that individual pays my son an apology! I mouthed off back, so she has already had a taste of what's to come...but she owes my son an apology! Period!

While we are supposed to treat government workers with respect and can actually be arrested for trying to intimidate them, they have NO right verbally attacking OR assulting ANYONE much less a 10 year old child. That is just totally uncalled for and completely out of line. She also threw the package at me over the counter. And I'm honestly not exaggerating. Good thing I am a good catch...the package would have hit me and fallen to the floor.

I think it's one of the only postal stations near by that doesn't have cameras. Small town...slow motion workers....two windows and usually nobody running them.

Come morning, we'll see what they think about their 21 year postal worker.

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Well, just wanted to take a moment and post what happened this AM. I contacted the Postal Inspector and they directed me to our local consumer affairs office.

I explained what went on and the woman gasped. She apologized to me for the behavior of the postal worker and I told her, that's nothing to me. My son WILL receive an apology! She agreed and told me I would be contacted this afternoon, by the manager of our local postal station...yeah, I'm still holding my breath.

I explained to her what this 21 year veteran told me about bubble envies and she said, "That is simply NOT true!" I told her that I'm tired of being overcharged by this post office. It appears that our postal stations are purposely overcharging...maybe to gain back the "FOREVER" stamps difference? She explained to me that without calls from customers, they have no way of receiving feedback on training issues etc and she feels this is a training issue.

Anyway, I'm still awaiting that call from the manager...and when I receive it, I'll post what happens. I'm on a mission and will not stop 'til there are answers!

Toni

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Toni,

Proud of you and how you handled this one.

Realistically, she was correct in saying that if customers don't inform them of what is going on, they will not know something is wrong or that people are being over charged or treating customers as you and your son where treated.

On the other hand, where is the phone call? HMM as we both figured, it did not come today.

Yup, it is a training issue, tis true.

So the questions are this.

where is the training and when will they be properly trained in the correct charges, how to treat a customer and how to treat a customer with respect?

Where is the damn phone call and the apology to you and your son?

So here's what I think you should do next.

If you haven't heard from the manager by 10AM your time on Wednesday, you have waited long enough. you where told that you would hear from the manager yesterday afternoon, it is time to place a second call.
    Keep your cool, but be polite, blunt and to the point again and give them a time to hear from the manager. give 2 hours after you call. If you don't hear by then, call again, and keep calling until you hear from and talk to the manager.

Then demand, politely but forcefully that you want and expect an apology to your son, from both the postal clerk and the manager, and you want the apology directed to you as well.
    Also demand that the errors in charging the bubblies be corrected right away and you be compensated for the crap you went through.

Go armed with a print out of the info from the USPS site to prove the point and I would remind the manager that it is his job to be sure that the postal clerks are fully aware of what the correct charges are and he has not done his job. Tell him you expect that the next time you come into the post office to mail your bubblies you will never have to go through what you went through again and thate all the postal clerks will be aware of the correct way to send the bubblies.

Good luck

Fran

14 years ago

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Toni,

where are you? what happened today with the infamous post office.

Cute Sue, love that smile.

Fran

• jaynine
    14 years ago

Nice twitch, Sue.
    Toni-I'm curious to know what happened, too!

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Sorry, we had a puppy dog emergency yesterday so I wasn't able to call Consumer Affairs back. Our Golden was attacked by two pit bulls and had to have emergency surgery. He's back home but sore...full of tubes and thinking he did something wrong...sniffle...but anyway...

Anyway, just so you know, I'm NOT done with this! I will NOT give up until this garbage is under control!

I called consumer affairs back and they are still awaiting contact from the PO manager. The second gal I spoke with was in shock as well and promised me she would handle it immediately. Immediately after that I received a call from the first gal I spoke with and she explained that she was still awaiting a response from the PO manager at our local PO. He/she refuses to respond. I said, "Sounds familiar, I'm still awaiting a response from 6 months ago!"

She said, "Well I WILL get a response if it takes escalating this to a higher authority!"

Again, I'm awaiting their call back.

I'll keep ya'll posted lol. I'll be sure and let you know what I find out.

The second person I spoke with was southern and very family oriented...and when I explained what this person did to my son, she said, "mmm mmmm mmmmmm mmmmmmm. That person need ought to be removed from this here postal workin! You just don't treat chiln's that a way!!!"

Toni

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh Toni,

So sorry to hear about about your puppy, The poor thing, make sure you give him lots of extra love and reassure him he didn't do anything wrong.

What happened to the pit bulls though?

As for the PO, I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings to you, especially after all this with the puppy,

BUT

it's the same old, same old, same old crap with the post office. You get those answers but they never do anything about it.

Took me 3 months to get through to my postmaster and that still didn't get me anywhere.

Keep at it though.

Maybe, just maybe one of us will have some luck

Fran

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Well, so far, the owners appear to be doing the right thing. They are destroying the dogs.

They are also offering payments on the vet bills. And they were honestly concerned for our dog's well being. I have my opinions on owners of uncontrollable dogs, but at this point, I'm more concerned for my puppy dog. He's gaining an appetite, and moving around much more, so things are looking good. Poor guy has an E-collar on lol. He gets stuck on everything.

On the postage issue, did you ever end up with consumer affairs? They are actually in charge of the postal administration from what I'm told here. Believe me, I'm going to become that squeeky wheel. I will go to the press if this isn't handled.

Toni

• Alphie
    14 years ago

I received an EMPTY 6 x 8 inch bubble mailer (this was for an sase that I am to send someone). It had a postal mark where the person who sent it paid .44 cents to send it. My postman says I owe .78 cents on the envelope. Is my post office ripping me off? Thank you.

Don

14 years ago

My postman says I owe .78 cents on the envelope. Is my post office ripping me off?
    Yes, your Post Office must not be aware that Bubble envelopes that are less than 3/4" think and the contents evenly distributed (as in empty) are to go as Large Envelope Rate. An empty bubble envelope should cost 88 cents.

Per the link below, which you might want to print out and show either your carrier or the Postmaster/mistress, For padded bags (e.g., ReadyPost� "cushion mailer"), when the thickness is 3/4" or less and the item is flat-size and somewhat flexible, the item should be classified and priced as a large envelope. They have been overcharging since May 2007 when shape based pricing first started. Hopefully you can get them straightened out. Please post your experience after you try and tell then it should be a Large Envelope Rate. Thanks!

Sue...startin to twitch.

Here is a link that might be useful: First-Class Mail Fact Sheet -Bulletin 22218(Scroll down to Quick Tips)

• Alphie
    14 years ago

Thank you for your quick respose Sue. I am so mad about this. Last week I sent a nearly flat bubble envelope & put 3 stamps on it & there was a note in my box that I owed .07 cents. I thought they had held a package until I paid the .07 cents. I drove all the way there & they were charging me more for the one I had sent. I thought it was quite high. They have overcharging me since I started trading on here then. I hate to think of how much money that adds up to.

Don

14 years ago

They have overcharging me since I started trading on here then. I hate to think of how much money that adds up to.
    Yes, I know. It is down right thievery. I would suggest you calling and speaking to the Post master/mistress or the supervisor and let them know that you have been overcharged recently and have been numerous times in the past months (however long you have been trading.)

Tell them to read the Bulletin 22218 that I posted the link to above.
    tell then to reference their Notice 3S PSN 7530-10-000-0765 which is the First Class Mail Shape-Based Pricing Template. That is what the template is for, and it is even available to you, so you could ask that they order one for you. My Postmaster got me one. See pic below.

{{gwi:27504}}

Good luck and please keep us posted.

• Alphie
    14 years ago

I saved myself a trip to the P.O. & just put a polite note in the mailbox asking them to refer to the information you gave me above & to please adjust thier pricing accordingly. I also set the envelope with postage due back in the box.

The envelope was back in my box today with the postage due X'd out.

Thank you Sue.

Don

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

moving this back to page 1 again.

Hope the info helps.

Fran

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

moving back to the top of the page

Fran

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

moving back up to the top

Fran

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

back to the top

Fran

• medontdo
    14 years ago

we are in topeka helping to take care of grandma, i should say, helpng to keep grandma company so she doesn't get bored and make dinners for her etc. well, the po system up here is a "little" diff than back home. i noticed some do charge a little more than they are supposed to. so we mail from the house and not at the po. i do believe they charge more because they need more lunch money!! that's it! they are still just bullies!! **grin** ~medo

• gwen49
    14 years ago

Must be nice to have a gov. job.
    I can't stand adults who treat children that way.
    I'm so glad I read this.I know now what to watch for and what to referece if I run into this problem.

13 years ago

bumping back up to page one. I figured the USPS would raise rates this May as they have done for so many years but I haven't heard anything of an increase yet in 2010 for First Class Mail.

Sue

• booboobolhuis
    13 years ago

Very informative, thanks everyone :)

• jaynine
    13 years ago

Our postmaster informed me that if a piece of mail addressed to you is left in your mailbox with 'postage due' stamped on it, you aren't responsible for paying it. He said the mail carrier must come to your door and collect that amount personally BEFORE actually delivering the item (or take it back to the post office if you're not home). Once left in your mailbox, it's yours free & clear.

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Anyone having problems with correct postage, please post the info to me on the thread linked below.

I'm working with the PO directly to see if this problem can finally be resolved and put to bed, once and for all.

Sue is working on one end and has been and I'm now working through a different angle with the PO.

Jaynine, interesting info from your postmaster.

I've never had a letter carrier ring my doorbell to have me pay for the additional postage due, nor have they asked for it when they have actually handed me the bubblies with postage due on them.

I've asked different letter carriers that have delivered my mail why and the answer has always been, "if they where doing their job correctly, they would know that the correct postage was placed on the envelope and no extra is do."

Fran

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oops, forgot to put in the link in my prior post. Sorry about that, been a long day.

Fran

Here is a link that might be useful: How's your post office doing? Charging the correct postage?

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

moving back to page 1

Fran

• Bleedfoot
    13 years ago

Well i went to the post office to double check the postage i had affixed to my bubble mailer-

1.) i had taped it all down to water-proof it, and she said that i cant tape over stamps and that the postage couldnt be used now...

2.) all bubble mailers, even with nothing in them, will go as Parcel Post, because they do not have an absolutley uniform thickness (the pressed edges and whatnot). So my 1.8 oz mailer had to go for $1.39 (1.22 + 17 cents for each additional oz) parcel post. She said it can be a large envelope if its a flat paper thing only. Aka no padding.

I guess at least i checked before i put it in the mail :(

She was really friendly about it- but i dont see anywhere where the USPS website makes a comment about pricing or rules about bubble mailers.

13 years ago

1.) i had taped it all down to water-proof it, and she said that i cant tape over stamps and that the postage couldnt be used now...
    Well that is the one thing she said that was correct...sheesh.

2.) all bubble mailers, even with nothing in them, will go as Parcel Post, because they do not have an absolutley uniform thickness (the pressed edges and whatnot).
    Egads...another postal employee that doesn't know what she is talking about. I imagine she meant to say that they go as First Class Parcels, which is different than Parcel Post...but that is still wrong.

Taken from this link...Physical Standards for Flats
    1.4 Uniform Thickness

Flat-size mailpieces must be uniformly thick so that any bumps, protrusions, or other irregularities do not cause more than 1/4-inch variance in thickness. When determining variance in thickness, exclude the outside edges of a mailpiece (1 inch from each edge) when the contents do not extend into those edges. Also, exclude the selvage of any polywrap covering (see 301.1.5) from this determination. Mailers must secure nonpaper contents to prevent shifting of more than 2 inches within the mailpiece if shifting would cause the piece to be nonuniform in thickness or would result in the contents bursting out of the mailpiece (see 601.2.3).
    I suggest you go to that link and print it out and take it with you the next time, so the clerks can be trained. I would ask to speak to the post master, or post mistress, so they can be informed that their clerks don't know what they are talking about and that they need to be properly trained and then supervised to see that they are doing their job correctly.

So my 1.8 oz mailer had to go for $1.39 (1.22 + 17 cents for each additional oz)
    That's so sad...overcharged by 34 cents since it should have been $1.05...and so the stealing by the USPS continues. They have been stealing from unsuspecting customers since May 2007 when the USPS initially went to Shape Based Pricing.

She said it can be a large envelope if its a flat paper thing only. Aka no padding.
    Padded mailers used to go for a first class stamp postage and then so much additional for a non-machineable charge.
    So long as padded mailers meet the criteria at the link below, they can and should go at the lesser rate of First Class Flats. That worker needs to get familiar with the Shape Based Pricing Template. I wonder if she even has one.

Anyone who is interested in A Shape Based Pricing Template should be able to get one from the PO, for their person use.

She was really friendly about it-
    Yes, but she still ripped you off.

but i dont see anywhere where the USPS website makes a comment about pricing or rules about bubble mailers.
    Ok, but do you see anywhere that is says that padded mailers (aka Bubble envelopes) must go as Parcel rate? NO, that is a fallacy believed to be true by so many USPS workers across the country.

Here ya go...Postal Bulletin 22218 Clearly states down under the First Class Mail Quick Tips: "For padded bags (e.g., ReadyPost® “cushion mailer”), when the thickness is 3/4" or less and the item is flat-size and somewhat flexible, the item should be classified and priced as a large envelope.
    I'd print that out for your PO too.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: 1.0 Physical Standards for Flats

• Bleedfoot
    13 years ago

Thanks so much Sue. You are right.

Very next envelope i have to mail out im coming in with a stack of papers. I guess thats the way it goes though- if you don't want to be overcharged you have to make sure it gets done right every time. I'm afraid if i just drop them off in the box, they wont go through!

• mavis07
    13 years ago

Thanks for all of the info.

I too was blindsided. I carefully looked up postage for my bubble envelopes and mailed 3. The fourth I took by the post office later. He said that the others went on thru with postage due. How embarressing. I immediately sent extra postage to the first 3 to make up for it. I'll be printing some documents to take with me from now on.

Mavis07

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Please post any and all Post Office problems that you are having on the thread linked below.

Post Office Officials are reading the thread.

Hopefully, we will eventually get this problem solved

Fran

Here is a link that might be useful: How is your Post Office doing?

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

back to the top of the page

Fran

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts