Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaleeisa

And now on to amending....

jaleeisa
15 years ago

I'm planning several new beds for next Spring. We're going to built both those and the existing beds up as well. Raised beds seem really attractive,and we're going to do it lasagna method. Anything that leads to not needing to till and no back breaking digging as well as less weeding definitely has my attention. I also had a real find this last week in the shape of a shipping box/crate thingy made of the same wood used for pallets with the wood arranged in a very attractive "X" pattern. They were just going to throw it away! Can you believe that? It's going to become a garden bed for an area that I'm leery of digging because of the gas meter and lines. It's about 3 ft high and probably 4 ft wide on each side and is raised on legs of it's own.

So, after all that, I bet you're wondering what my question is, aren't ya? :P

The question is, what would be recommended to accomplish this? I can get manure from one of Cliff's co-workers who has horses, I've got tons of newspapers (minus all the glossy stuff) I've got two bales of hay that's been aging in a corner of my back yard. I can probably score coffee ground from one of the places around here. We don't peel a lot of veggies, for most things we prefer to scrub and leave peels on for the vitamins. So, any other suggestions? Will I need to add soil to this? If so, I was thinking of hitting the end of season sales and stocking up on garden soil.

Suggestions?

Kathy

Comments (10)

• medontdo
    15 years ago

http://ourgardengang.tripod.com/lasagna_gardening.htm
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/1999-04-01/Lasagna-Gardening.aspx
    http://www.bconnex.net/~carolw/lasagna1.html
    i have a book on it, they say lay the paper down first, then the different types of straw's and vege's, i think it goes like the hardest to decompose first and easiest on the top.
    but there's a few links, from the google. i know, i'm always' googling everything!!! LOL i just have to!! LOL awesome find!! LOL ~Medo

• jaleeisa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Michelle! I'd found most of those in my research, but not all of them. I think I've done more reading about this than I have for any other garden project. What I'm really looking for is perspectives from those that have done the Lasagna method. What have you found that works for you? What hasn't? What changes have/would you have made? I'd ask about this in the Square Foot Gardening, but since I'm not planning to stick strictly with that method, and I can see they're somewhat protective about things other than SFG being posted there... ya know? Not to mention I've become acquainted with many more people that I'm comfortable taking advice from here. :)

Kathy

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

Is it going to be 3 ' high? I'm trying to envision this box.

If it is that high, I'd think one could but it down into 3 4' X 4' squares, that are each a foot high...and wack off the legs.

oh......might check out The Soil, Compost and Mulch Forum

I see they cover Creating A New Bed Without Tilling in the FAQ there. Maybe that would be a more appropriate place to discuss soil and such than at the SFG forum...think?

Got a pic of your find?

I can't do lasagna gardening here due to the infestation of the soil (if curious about the infestation, read my Member Page Blurb.)

Sue

• jaleeisa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm going to have to get my son to take pictures with his phone next time he's over, Sue. Cliff's phone just won't take a decent picture. It's 4 ft squared and about 3 ft tall, I kinda like the idea of the "feet" it has for air flow to keep the wood nicer longer, but I'm still not sure. I mean, it's gonna get wet, either way, right? But it's really cute! If I can manage to get enough of them, I might break them down and make low edging panels from them as well as using them for planters. We're also thinking they might be made over into some really cute benches and tables. They're certainly sturdy enough.

I've talked to some folks in the compost forum. They're not all that talkative about lasagna. Mostly traditional composting, which my landlord isn't really interested in having me build a bin. Oddly, after explaining lasagna to him, he's fine with that, though! So I'm gonna take my green lights where I can, ya know? I've done a lot of research, but really want the input of people I'm more familiar with for their impressions and things that have worked, or not worked for them. I think my ideas are workable, but having others who have done it think so will give me more confidence.

Poor Sue, I know it seems like you're never going to be rid of that Star of Bethlehem! I can see how it would be really hard to garden with from what I've read. I certainly don't envy you! I know it presents a who new meaning to problem area gardening!

Kathy

15 years ago

Poor Sue, I know it seems like you're never going to be rid of that Star of Bethlehem!
    Thanks...I appreciate any pity I can get concerning trying to garden with soil that is infested with Star of Bethlehem (sob for short).

I recently made a good sized new bed. Knowing that there are likely approximately 50 to 100 clumps (actually gobs) of the sob in that area, I chose not to disturb them any more than necessary. Disturbing them would have resulted in 50,00--100,000 (approximately) individual bulbs and tiny bulblils (the size of the lead in a pencil)scattered throughout the soil. I estimate each clump or gob of sob has maybe 100 bulbs all total to it. I planted several shrubs (too close I know) and several new irises. While I did have to dig to plant the shrubs, and the sob will likely come up in the roots next season and every season afterwards, I chose to plant the iris on top of the soil. I purchased some soil and compost, and mixed in some sand I had on hand. I dumped a couple of quarts on the top of the ground, making a small mound, and planted the iris on top of that, with its roots spread out over the mound. I then topped that off with some more soil, leaving part of the actual rhizome showing above the soil. I'm going to add a few more things to the bed (daffs and daylilies maybe) and then Preen it, and mulch it all nicely with the exception of the irises, which I will leave as they are. I'm thinking that late next Feb when the sob start to come up wildly (their foliage looks much like dark green thick bladed grass) I can get out there on hands and knees, and hopefully dig out the majority of them. That will be my spring ritual for years to come, until I can get the bed sob free. In time, I may lift the small shrubs, work off the sob infested soil from their roots., and replant them.

ok...done whining...did not mean to highjack your thread. I look forward to seeing your pics, and ideas for your new found treasures. I too am a scavenger of anything that might be used for a purpose other than what it was initially intended for. Once you get pics, you might try posting them too at the Frugal Gardening Forum for other ideas for them. Hey...couldn't you just use one of them for composting.

Landlord....grrrrrrr......

Sue

• jaleeisa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I really do not envy the challenges you have with the SOB. I think I would go nuts trying to garden in spite of them! And you can only dig them at a certain time to keep from spreading them, right? Uggg!

I had actually considered using one of the crates for composting, but with the way the landlord feels about a compost bin, I decided not to. I figured I would be doing my own composting more or less by using the Lasagna method, which he's fine with, go figure! Some thing, different shape.

I am planning to post it to the Frugal forum as well once I can get the pictures, especially if I can get several more. DH and I were discussing how to keep the soil from falling out between the side slats, and I remembered I still have LOTs of burlap that we used as tablecloths for the wedding (Western theme) It's starched, but if I wash out the starch, I can use it to line the bed on the sides and keep everything inside :) Then I can also poke holes in it and plant trailing plants in between the slats.

We were also thinking, if I can get several, that creating holding beds out of them would be an idea. I always hate having to either create a holding bed or plopping plants into a bed that I don't really want them in just to keep them from dying before I get *their* spot ready for them. I only have one well shaded bed to ease mailing transition in, and it becomes a jumble. Unfortunately it's in the front of the house. So, by using one of these as a holding bed for plants I get through the mail (or will be sending out once I have plants to share!)and putting a light tan colored umbrella over it, I can create a lightly shaded holding and recovery bed in the back yard where it won't be such a jumble from the street :) This is almost a necessity here since the sun and heat are so strong, it's almost like spraying a plant with weed killer to set it out until it recovers and acclimates. And it will definitely beat having things soaking in buckets of water!

So, we've come up with at least one new idea for using these crates :)

Kathy

• jaleeisa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have a picture of my crate that my son got for me! I'm hoping to get several more of these. Between DH and I and lots of people here, there are already several suggestions on what to use it for. This one is earmarked for a bed in my front yard. I'm hoping to get more of them to utilize all the wonderful suggestions! Sitting inside it is a new metal, twin bed headboard for my "Naughty Garden" just for size reference and cause it was sitting there waiting to go into the backyard :)
    {{gwi:32077}}

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:32076}}

15 years ago

hmmm...your link does not go where you think it goes...lol

Sitting inside it is a new metal, twin bed headboard for my "Naughty Garden"
    hmmm...interested in hearing of your "Naughty Garden"

I think the headboard would be beautiful at the back of a bed, with sweetpeas growing on it.

I salvaged an old (but not fancy) gate I intend to grow SPs on.

Sue

• jaleeisa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

*blink* Where does the link go? When I click it, it takes me to the large picture of the crate.....

As for the "Naughty Garden", it's gonna be bordered by the headboard and I'm gonna plant all kinds of "naughty" named plants in it. Other GW buddies have sent me seeds for Peter Peppers, wild Hairy Ball, Nipple Fruit. I'm working on come Clitoria vine, Dutchman's Pipe (cause DH mentioned that it looked like the..erm... container... for the HB plants :P) and several other things and was hoping to get some of your cute little kitten paws. And I'm still open to suggestions about what to include :)

Kathy

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

Kathy,

What a find with those crates. They are very pretty and I would love to do my square foot gardens in something as pretty as those.

I am guessing you are planning on lining them with something. I am thinking a good quality fabric type weed barrier. You could then "compost" right in the boxes because they would get some decent air circulation. Personally I would take and mix together everything you can get your hands on and simply fill the boxes. If you do get some veggie scraps, you could dig holes in the compost and bury to add more nutrients. In the fall you could water well and cover as tight as you can with black plastic and let them "cook" over the winter. By spring they should be nicely composted and ready to plant.

Wish I could come up with such a find. Kim