Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help harvesting Zinnia seeds

Posted by threegirls0408 7 (threegirls0408@aol.com) on
Fri, Aug 22, 08 at 19:46

Hi all! Can someone please help me with directions on harvesting Zinnia seeds. I am new to gardening and I have alot of beautiful, healthy, productive Zinnias and I would love to get some seeds from them.

Thanks in advance!
Jennifer
threegirls0408@aol.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help harvesting Zinnia seeds

Hi! I found a pic that may help. Make sure you do not harvest until the pod has turned brown,I wait until there is a couple of inches of brown down the stem below the pod,and still check to make sure the seeds are ripe before I pick! Good Luck! :)

Here is the pic,the other link I provided should also be helpful!
http://www.craftygardener.ca/infozinnias.html

Here is a link that might be useful: the seed site

o

when the flower dies off, just pull the outer petals off n seeds should be attached, or you can rip it apart n get the seeds lol ive done both
heres a pic of seeds if that helps.
zinniz lilputs

o
seedsite

good info agirlsgirl!! i love the seedsite!:)
i tend to take pics new of seeds so i know what im looking for or ill forget lol

o
RE: Help harvesting Zinnia seeds:)

That's a great idea!:D

o

HERE is a thread about it over at The Seed Saving Forum. There is a link in it too, and shows pics that are a little different. I guess the different varieties might have different looking seeds...maybe?

Sue...rbb

o

OOOhhh the seed site is wonderful...I found some new favorites to list on my Want List :-) Thanks agirlsgirl.

Kim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here