Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grovespirit

Where NOT to buy heirloom seeds

grovespirit
15 years ago

I narrowly avoided misspending $25 plus shipping today on a certain very dissatisfactory heirloom Seed Co today. They *seem* to be offering 100 packs of heirloom veg seeds for $25...

But it looked too good to be true. And when I went to check their reputation out online, I discovered that many customers lately haven't been getting their seeds.

Worse, this one problem company maintains numerous different online website address holdings (many still under development).

That was too close for comfort. :/ So now I am posting this in hopes of preventing anyone here from getting hosed!

This Seeds Company has a horrible track record. If you don't believe me, send me an email, and I'll email you a link to the evidence!!

I am worried that if I were to name the company here, I might get in trouble with GW for flaming or accusing... So if you want more info please email me.

Comments (8)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

And when I went to check their reputation out online, I discovered that many customers lately haven't been getting their seeds.

and

I am worried that if I were to name the company here, I might get in trouble with GW for flaming or accusing... So if you want more info please email me.

Hi Grove,

If the info you found is on the net, and accessible for anyone to see, I see no problem with posting the name here for all to see/know. I don't really see it as much different than giving a bad review of an actual experience of your own on the Rate and Review Vendors forum, or what other folks post over at Dick's garden on their Watchdog forum.

If you are still uncomfortable in saying who it was, I'll do it! hmmm...In doing a search I think I have it narrowed down to one or two anyway.

Sue

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Are you talking about this?

This all seems to be 1 company:
    - Vegetable Seeds UK
    - Seedfest
    - Roguelands Vegetable Seeds Company
    - Roguelands Seeds
    - TomatoSeeds.net
    - Tasty Tomatoes
    - Anioleka Vegetable Seeds Company

If so, I don't think there's any harm in telling others.
    Remy

15 years ago

Well Remy...aren't you the super sleuth? You bucking for resident busy body or what?

Isn't today Tomato Party day? I'd be running around like a chicken with its head cut off, if I was hosting a party later today...but then some folks I know are on top of things, unlike me.

Sue

• grovespirit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes Remy, that would indeed be the offending co. which has many online names!! I'm glad they didn't get my money.

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Sue,
    Check the time yesterday, I was still drinking my coffee : )
    I did a lot of running around on Friday, so I can get up and not run immediately on Sat. Me without coffee is a bad thing, lol.
    You are still the resident president busybody!

Grove,
    I copy and pasted the list from an unmentionable(for some unknown GW powers that be reason) tomato web site, because when I saw you mention heirlooms and multiple names that must be who you were referring to. : )
    Remy

15 years ago

You are still the resident president busybody!
    Agirlsgirl is a deputy rbb...would you be interested in being deputized maybe?

an unmentionable(for some unknown GW powers that be reason)
    I think that could maybe be compared to mentioning The Jenny Craig site on a Weight Watchers Forum. 'Other' forums are oftentimes seen as the competition...since this is a free site supported by advertisers....IMHO...Think?
    A mass exodus to other places 'could' effect GW membership some. I have seen it happen a couple of times in the past few years....but soon the forum recovers with many new members.

Sue

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi again Sue,
    Taking a break from canning tomatoes from the party here. I save seeds from the tomatoes at the same time. A few of the jars I save for giving away as prizes next year.

Umm...what does being deputized entail? I feel like I may have to go through some bizarre ritualistic ceremony, LOL!

I think you may be right about the competition, but it is weird that you can mention Dave's(who caused the biggest exodus ever) and probably a few other's. It is such a specialized forum, it could never take away from GW as a whole so you think it would be no big deal.
    Remy

15 years ago

but it is weird that you can mention D***'s
    ...sometimes known as Dick's Garden? I aint gettin my hands slapped...I think those too are off limits, or are sometimes it seems.

Umm...what does being deputized entail? I feel like I may have to go through some bizarre ritualistic ceremony,
    Nah...nothing bizarre...I just authorize you to sign your name with drbb behind it.

Your responsibilities, are to help others and particularly newbies...just as you already do....so no biggie.

You would be surprised at the GW email questions I get, because I am 'the resident busy body'...they figure I will know the answer or tell them where to find it. I think its funny, and enjoy helping them.

Sue...who is also an unofficial member of the Unofficial Garden Web Welcome Wagon...along with being the rbb

Back to the peaches. I hope I get done in enough time to pick maters so I can wash and sort them yet tonight....sigh

Sponsored