Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Favorite compact heirloom cherry tomato?

Posted by grovespirit Zone 11 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 6, 08 at 8:20

Hi all.

I like growing cherry tomatoes, but I don't like not being able to save the seeds of some of the yummy, sweet, compact and productive varieties like sweet baby girl, etc.

I grew Tumbling Tom Yellow, and it was productive as well as compact but its flavor was tart, not sweet. And its disease resistance was so-so.

There should be several heirloom cherry varieties out there which are tasty, compact, and disease resistant. But what are they called?

Do any of you folks have a recommendation for an heirloom cherry tomato that is productive, disease resistant, compact, and has a great sweet yet 'tomatoey' flavor?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Favorite compact heirloom cherry tomato?

I like growing cherry tomatoes, but I don't like not being able to save the seeds of some of the yummy, sweet, compact and productive varieties like sweet baby girl, etc.
There is some debate as to just how old a variety must be to be an heirloom. Besides the Heirlooms, you might also consider others that are just open pollinated, yet not old enough to be considered Heirlooms.

I'm sure many tomatoholics over at the Tomato Forum could come up with numerous varieties that are open pollinated, and yummy, sweet, compact and productive.

Tomato Forum
I'm an admitted tomatoholic myself, but am not all that familiar with sweet compact cherries.

Sue

o

I grew a nice little tomato called Garten Perle that was small and had lots of nice little tomatoes. It could actually be grown in a hanging basket. Send me a note off list. Kim

o

I raised a tiomato called Sweet Pea and that is about the size of the tomato-- It was great-- 1st to produce and was still producing millions of timy tomatoes at frost-- wonderful flavor and sooooooo cute--- I took some to the county fair and oh the comments they got-- everyone had to try them-- I left a small basket of them for people to try

o

My favorite - so far - is a yellow cherry called Blondkopfchen. Does really well even in the hazy, hot and humid weather around DC.

o

I like the Dr. Carolyn yellow cherry tomato. It has been very productive for me. Once after a two inch rain, two to three hundred fruits on just one plant split. People think it has low acid, whether its true or not I couldn't say.

Do you mean compact in terms of fruit size or plant size? The fruits are small, the plant gets big, not a small bush type. Indeterminate, and a heirloom.

My favorite cherry tomato of them all was a large fruited red, not as sweet as Sweet 100, but with more taste. Got it from one of the mail-order catalogues, but can't recall which one. Fruit was just a shade smaller than a ping pong ball.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here