Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What seeds are okay to mail in ordinary envelopes?

Posted by nel.nucifera 7b (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 15, 11 at 15:54

I'm having trouble with P.O overcharging. I want to know what I can get away with using regular envelopes. Have any of you successfully mailed (or received seeds) in regular envelopes without any damage? What was the germination rate? Any rules or tips?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What seeds are okay to mail in ordinary envelopes?

I've used a regular envelope to mail single packs of extremely small seeds, like poppies, but I still protect them within a card and/or a very small amount of padding.

o

'Some' members require traders send seeds in bubble mailers, or they will not trade with you.

Some members will leave a bad review if a bubble mailer is not used, so it would be best to check with the trader before mailing.

Only very thin padding will work, or else the envelope will go over 1/4" allowance and will either be returned to you for additional postage or else the receiving member 'may' owe postage due when they get it.

It would be far better to 'deal with' those Post Office workers who are overcharging, than to risk the seeds being crushed, or postage owed, or the whole thing ripped to shreds if/when it jams sorting equipment, or a negative review.

I suggest you go to the link below and totally explain how you are being overcharged. Only you can make the complaint, with all the details.

The form asks:
*Who committed the alleged misconduct/wrongdoing? (What is the title/position held by the alleged wrongdoer?

*What are the facts, what caused the problem, and what are the results of the problem?

*When did the misconduct/wrongdoing occur? (Please provide dates and times, if possible.)

*Where did the misconduct/wrongdoing occur?

*How was the misconduct/wrongdoing committed?

*Do you have first hand knowledge of the misconduct/wrongdoing?

*Where can we obtain additional information concerning the misconduct/wrongdoing?

*Who else might be aware of the misconduct/wrongdoing?
If you would like, feel free to email me and I will give you my contact info. Though I don't have the particulars about your 'specific' overcharge 'case' I will certainly let them know that this has been an ongoing problem across the country since they went to the Shape Based Pricing.

chemocurl...aka Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Hotline New Complaint Form-Office of Inspector General

o

Thankyou Sue. Good to know. I will check that out. It could have been my wrongdoing. But for (seemingly) empty bubbies I can get by with only using 2 stamps. This time they wanted me to pay 1.71. I repackaged it again and took it to the post office and they said it was fine. There was no noticeable difference in the repackaging. At least not to me. If it continues to happen I'll have to do something about it.

We can add COLUMBINE to this list.

I received some in a lightly padded envie and it arrived unscathed.

o

I repackaged it again and took it to the post office and they said it was fine. There was no noticeable difference in the repackaging. At least not to me. If it continues to happen I'll have to do something about it.
hmmm...I wonder if you happened to get a clerk who knew how to charge padded mailers (bubble envelopes) correctly. It might be wise to note who seems to be charging correctly, and then make a point of having them wait on you at the PO.

The problem with light padding in a regular envelope, could be taken by some to mean, in bubble wrap in a regular envelope. If bubble wrap is doubled over, it exceeds the 1/4" allowance for a 'regular' envelope and should then be charged at 'Large Envelope Rate'....the same as a bubblie, if it is charged correctly and meets the requirements.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here