Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
has anyone else ever.....

Posted by lindaruzicka Z6 PA (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 4, 08 at 20:33

has anyone else ever gathered SEEDS from gladiolas? I noticed seed pods on mine and when I took them apart, there were seeds. I only thought glads mulitiplied through bulbs.."feeling really stupid"....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: has anyone else ever.....

hmmm...no, did not know that....but is doing a search I found this from the link below.

The gladiolus is easily raised from seeds, which should be sown in March or April in pots of rich soil placed in slight heat, the pots being kept near the glass after they begin to grow, and the plants being gradually hardened to permit their being placed out-of-doors in a sheltered spot for the summer. Modern growers often grow the seeds in the open in April on a nicely prepared bed in drills about 6 in. apart and 2 in. deep, covering them with finely sifted gritty mould. yada, yada, yada.

If there are any in bloom yet, you might get a pic, to post when you go to trade them...hint, hint.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Gladiolus

o

i know that when i pull mine up, there are tiny little bulbs, about the size of peas, they are mini bulbs. and yep, you can replant them next year, assuming that they make it there, LOL and no bugs get them, LOL ummmm...bugs got mine, so this year i'm leaving mine in the fridge or something, i don't know how to store them. also, you get seeds where the bloom was. let it dry all the way. and those are great!! they are awesome producers!! ~Medo

o

yep Medo, that's where the seeds were...

Sue, I totally stripped the glads of all seeds before even thinking of taking a pic.."sigh"..BUT..I will have them for trade..."G" Thanks for the info!

o

• Posted by dorisl 5 NW Chicago burbs (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 5, 08 at 8:30

I got some of those in a trade thisyear, they sprouted like mad!

o

wow, at least we know they'll grow now!

o

yep!! :') next year i'll have so many!! LOL but i want the pretty one's, so far i only have the red one's. i wanted the pretty colors, danged it!! i gave mine in the rr to em. she's so sweet!! i really like her!! i havent talked to her in ages!!
next year i want TONS of them, all different colors, i notice that the dragon flies flock to them. so i plan to have bunches. also, they like to rest on the green bamboo sticks.
its so cute!! i don't know why them particular one's but its just cute!! LOL ~Medo

o

I think these are either green glads or lavendar. The green ones are awesome!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here