Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaruzicka

has anyone else ever.....

lindaruzicka
15 years ago

has anyone else ever gathered SEEDS from gladiolas? I noticed seed pods on mine and when I took them apart, there were seeds. I only thought glads mulitiplied through bulbs.."feeling really stupid"....

Comments (7)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

hmmm...no, did not know that....but is doing a search I found this from the link below.

The gladiolus is easily raised from seeds, which should be sown in March or April in pots of rich soil placed in slight heat, the pots being kept near the glass after they begin to grow, and the plants being gradually hardened to permit their being placed out-of-doors in a sheltered spot for the summer. Modern growers often grow the seeds in the open in April on a nicely prepared bed in drills about 6 in. apart and 2 in. deep, covering them with finely sifted gritty mould. yada, yada, yada.

If there are any in bloom yet, you might get a pic, to post when you go to trade them...hint, hint.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Gladiolus

• medontdo
    15 years ago

i know that when i pull mine up, there are tiny little bulbs, about the size of peas, they are mini bulbs. and yep, you can replant them next year, assuming that they make it there, LOL and no bugs get them, LOL ummmm...bugs got mine, so this year i'm leaving mine in the fridge or something, i don't know how to store them. also, you get seeds where the bloom was. let it dry all the way. and those are great!! they are awesome producers!! ~Medo

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yep Medo, that's where the seeds were...

Sue, I totally stripped the glads of all seeds before even thinking of taking a pic.."sigh"..BUT..I will have them for trade..."G" Thanks for the info!

• dorisl
    15 years ago

I got some of those in a trade thisyear, they sprouted like mad!

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    15 years ago

wow, at least we know they'll grow now!

• medontdo
    15 years ago

yep!! :') next year i'll have so many!! LOL but i want the pretty one's, so far i only have the red one's. i wanted the pretty colors, danged it!! i gave mine in the rr to em. she's so sweet!! i really like her!! i havent talked to her in ages!!
    next year i want TONS of them, all different colors, i notice that the dragon flies flock to them. so i plan to have bunches. also, they like to rest on the green bamboo sticks.
    its so cute!! i don't know why them particular one's but its just cute!! LOL ~Medo

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think these are either green glads or lavendar. The green ones are awesome!

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA