Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
token28001

Trades

token28001
15 years ago

How many trades are too many? Do you run out of stamps or envelopes often? I know I can say this knowing full well the implications:

My name is Tom. I am a seedaholic. *shame*

I've stopped my truck on the side of the road to ring a doorbell and ask for seeds from a few plants. I've collected daylily seeds in parking lots. I'm afraid I may have a new obsession. When should I start to worry?

Comments (22)

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

Tom..it's too late..you're a goner.."G".."hiding seeds that I picked off plants outside of doctor's office today"...and I think you'd fit in the RR MNF (make new friends) threads just fine.."L"

• token28001
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh well. I do enjoy it. I also got a couple seed pods from a solid white hibiscus that was growing at a stop sign in Bethany Beach Delaware. I live in NC. :)

What is RR? Where is it?

• medontdo
    15 years ago

ohhh Tom!! does it smell good?? if it does may i have a couple?? LOL yes, by the way you are a total goner!! LOL and we just love to free them seeds. my hubs tells me all the time that i'm going to go straight to jail, being a cop and all. well, now i ask if someones there. and i **clearing throat** still free seeds if they are all lonely looking and so very sad, it just looks like they are saying to me, please take me home!!! i mean, really if you look and listen long enough, they really are saying that, yep, you can hear it!!! LOL **big grinn** LOL
    ohhhh and you'll just love that rr i'm sure it hasn't changed much!! LOL
    the rr is a round robin where they send gifts to everyone ummmm lik e they will have a partner some do it as paired up others will be like everyone has different send to and receive froms!! its really awesome!! and they talk about everything, at least they did when i was there, and dan probably is still there, but ya have to watch out for this linda lady and dan characters!! they are nuts!!! LOL
    ohhhh and ya have to keep an eye on your seeds!! WHEW they'll take them right out from under yer nose!! LOL
    **onery grinn** going to the square foot gardening forum now!! see what kinda trouble i can get into now, LOL Hee Hee ~Medo

Here is a link that might be useful: rr MNF

• medontdo
    15 years ago

none is too many, yes, yes, and have LOTS of fun!!! LOL **big smile** and don't forget to share the wealth!! i see you have not forgotten!!(newbie package) you are very nice!! :')
    ~Medo

• token28001
    Original Author
    15 years ago

medontdo: I'm not sure if this hibiscus has a fragrance or not. It was hot, the middle of the day, and I'm running across four lanes of traffic to get two seed pods. I'll toss a few into your envelope that is going out Tuesday morning. But that's it. I'm not giving any more of these babies away til next year. ;)

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

Tom, go up to the area where it says "Round robin exchange"..there are lots of RR's going on there. There are a couple of EXCELLENT seed exchanges going on. I signed up for two..."peering over my horde and deciding what to give up"

and don't pay attention to Michelle, we're all harmless over at the Make New Friends thread.."putting away scissors".."G"

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

Welcome Tom! You will LOVE your new addiction! :)
    Since these ladies have already let you know where the RR is,I may as well let you know where the winter sowing forum is...lol...I mean,you will need something to do with all those seeds! :)
    Winter Sowing is a great way to start your seeds,and the forum is great,check it out,you wont regret it! :)
    Lots of seed addicts there too,so you should fit right in! There is also a winter sowing site that is just packed with great info and resources,make sure you check it out! :)

Winter Sown site

I also included a link that takes you straight to the ws forum! Have fun and hope to see you there! :)
    ~Angie

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing forum! :)

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

yeah Angie, that forum has been beckening me and I've been trying to ignore it...."G"

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

Dont ignore it,go for it!...lol....

• medontdo
    15 years ago

ohhh Tom if you go there, watch out for people like this angie character, OMG she'll load you with seeds!! she don't trade!! she just loads, and this medo, she gets crazy at times and she'll load also, hmmm there's this other crazy character, hmmmm.....i believe its ummmmm.....i don't remember, kathy?? crazy people these guys/girls are just nuts!! they go thru their stuff, and then when they are all done, they pass it off to some poor willing sucker, and then they ahve fun then pass it off to some poor willing sucker, OMGoodness its sooo bad!! steer clear of these people!! LOL ** onrey smile** LOL **giggle giggle**
    by the way, your the bomb!!! LOL
    hey ang, by the way, i can't wait til my seeds get here!! LOL **chuckle**
    winter sowing is so much fun!!
    check out square foot garden too or did i tell ya that too?? LOL ~Medo

• token28001
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh yeah, I've already been through that forum. It's what brought me to gardenweb. Well, that and every google search I've done on anything related to plants.

I think I may have gone overboard this week with my trading. I had about 20 different plants in my yard this year. Next spring, if the wintersowing works and I don't manage to mangle the little hunks too bad, I'll have over 100 varieties. And that's just in the perennial bed. I've gotten some really good, large trades. I'm checking the box every day by noon. I don't want to bake my seeds. LOL

I should have gone to the landfill today for more leaf mulch. Maybe tomorrow, after the rains.

• chrizty
    15 years ago

well Tom your in a great place for a seedaholic lol GW is awesome!!!
    i run out of stamps n it drives me crazy!!
    yes you must wintersow!! i had more seeds than time n didnt get half of what i wanted planted last spring:( my gardens look so empty this year.
    so if i sow half in winter,half in spring my gardens will be full next year!:)

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Tom said, "It was hot, the middle of the day, and I'm running across four lanes of traffic to get two seed pods."

LOL!!! I can see myself doing that as well and I've hardly been at this long at all... LOL... I was telling you and Medo how I yanked branches down from a tree with my daughter and filled up on old wallie world bag full of spent crepe myrtle tree seeds... I thought I'd hit pay dirt... Oh, well, I guess them seeds were all over the ground, but that's not where I was looking... hahahaha... oooopsss... At least that one I knew the name of... if I find the seeds to other pretty plants, I'd probably have no idea what the name of the plant was... :-(

~Angela

• token28001
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm going to need a lot more soda containers and milk jugs.

I just added up all the seeds I should be receiving in trades. I mailed 12 envelopes this morning with seeds going out. I mailed 4 more with seeds coming in for stamps only. That makes 16 trades this weekend. Adding all that up, I've got close to 60 types of seeds coming my way. I believe 100 may have been an underestimate. :D

This doesn't even count the three propagation chambers I already have stuffed. Nor the 5 others (I can fit 8 on the racks!) I plan to purchase for hardwood cuttings and wintersowing.

I have a feeling I'll need to quit work just to get everything planted out in April/May. At least my perennial bed is being expanded next week. Going from 8' x 30' to 20' x 60' with a nice mixture of sun and shade plants due to the trees in the yard. I think I'm going to need a pathway or three, a couple arbors, and a fence.

• token28001
    Original Author
    15 years ago

And one more thing. Gurney's emailed me this morning telling me my $25 off coupon was about to expire. At least I'll have spring bulbs. ;)

• chrizty
    15 years ago

i think this is the most trades ive done at once! so glad i put it all down in a file lol or id be lost n people would be getting the wrong seeds from me!!yikes!
    ive gotten so many seeds in trades i thought id have to buy.
    im still ordering soon as my catalog comes in[found queen of the prairie yay!], and ive become or will become a seedsnacher! lol. theres great blue lobelia growing down the road. i gotta have some in my yard! lol

• token28001
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm going to have seeds out my ears soon. The first envies are starting to arrive. You people are way generous. I'm going to have to start increasing the number of seeds I put in my packets. I was thinking a couple dozen for most seeds, but I've gotten some now with 40-50 seeds. Especially the smaller seeds.

I can't wait for winter. And spring. And next fall when I can collect my own seeds from the hundreds of plants I'll be growing. I'm also building some propagation chambers, a hot bed made from a plywood box, some sand, and a few shelving brackets. My basement is going to be an indoor propagation fortress this winter.

• token28001
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well....I've done it again. I've got more seeds on the way.

I think I'm going to need a bigger bed. LOL

{{gwi:32421}}

There are flowers in that picture. Cosmos, and a few smaller plants. Almost everything here has taken a beating the past 2 days from the wind.

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Welcome Tom! Now, you just pay no nevermind to Medo... I'm just a...hmmm.. well.. all those seeds and they really need a home... and when someone asks for some I have to share. And I was raised in the far South.. so we have to be really generous, right? :) Yeah, that's it. It's my Southern hospitality!

I adore the shape of that bed! I would really like to see pictures of it in the spring all in bloom! I bet it's amazing!

By the way, for those who recall my mention of a warehouse crate/wooden box, we're starting to lasagna it for it to cook all winter! Still haven't quite decided what I'm gonna plant in it yet.

AND, I was in the Dollar store the other day and came across a steal! They still had lots of seeds left from the spring sales, and they had dropped to 2 cents a pack. So I bought bunches! I'm gonna do some newbie welcome packets with them, since for the most part they're common seeds and generally easy to grow. Mostly flowers this time, though I did manage a couple of large packages of corn and some Little Marvel sweet peas that can be broken down into trades :)So, on my day off, I'm gonna reopen my Adopt a Newbie thread :) Everyone's welcome to join in and adopt a newbie and help them learn how to trade :)

Again, welcome Tom! Look forward to trading with you and hopefully seeing you in one of the MNF's RRs, we have the new one taking signups- it's a Halloween swap and should be LOTS of fun! Oh, and there's a Themed Garden swap taking signups as well!

Kathy

• dorisl
    15 years ago

You guys are just nuts. You really gotta watch out for Angie, like they said above, you give her a seed pack or two and she'll set you up for your whole garden for a year---or more!! Ane she's not the only one. :)

And Tom, wow, 16 trades at once. That's alot of administrative responsibility. I had 6 going at once and felt overwhelmed. So, to answer your question, for me 5 trades at a time is more than enough. :) Newbs gotta be careful not to get in over their head with the trading stuff right away, specially somebody like you that shows some personality. You seem like a fun guy and we want you to stay.

I gotta go buy some paint at Lowes, mebbe I can find some promix while Im there, or some cheap perennials? I cant find the Seed clearance deals that some of you guys find. Maybe Ill buy the caulk at Ace just so I can see if they've got seeds they want to get rid of? And I can get the paintrollers at Home Depot, see what they got? Good to live in an area with lots of retail......

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

hehehe Welcome again Tom! You should definitely check out the RR's!! They are an absolute blast and a great way to make new gardening friends that SHARE your addiction! :)

Also, check w/ your local Starbucks, they give away coffee grounds and milk jugs for free and you will be amazed at how much you can get from them in just a day!! TONS!! :)

Welcome to GW! :)
    ~Wendy / sassybutterfly_2008

• medontdo
    15 years ago

ohhhh goodness!! now ya done and gone and met all the ones!! **grinning** now your in for it!! LOL ya know sassybutterfly has that name for a reason, ya have to watch her!! hmmmm......whoooo are we missing now?? LOL
    you'll be so packed with all them seeds ya won't know what to do!! you'll be saying honestly, i have to much as it is. bla bla bla. and the next thing ya know, BOOM!!! you'll have more seeds, and poor ol tom will be making a few more beds!! LOL
    don't ya all just feel for the poor lad?? LOL **giggle**
    he likes the simple stuff. ummmm.....is there really a simple flower?? i like them all i found out, in one way or another, i think they fit one mood one day and another mood the next minute!! Hee Hee (as hubs says) (the next minute)

~Medo

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!