Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelady777

Moldy Seeds

Anyone else having the problem that some of the seed savers are packing too fresh of seeds that haven't had a chance to dry yet and they get moldy by the time you get them a few days later in the mail?

If they're that fresh and not properly dried or dried long enough, why don't they use the paper envelopes, so the seeds won't get moldy?

To my surprise, several established traders do this. I just got done washing some seeds to get the mold off and letting them dry here myself before putting them in a paper coin envelope.

Maybe this is a no-no topic, and I shouldn't have brought it up. Surely, I'm not the ONLY one this is happening to, right? What do you do when this happens?

Blessings,

Angela ~~~*wishing this post was anonymous*

Comments (11)

• chrizty
    15 years ago

so far ive never got moldy seeds, but thats one reason i always use paper pks, even though i let them dry out for a few days the papper pks are a second safety thing lol i once thought about poking holes in the pks with my sowing needle.
    try washing your seeds in peroxide, that will take off any bad stuff from the mold.
    i have got seeds all over in the envys cause the baggies came opened. i just scoop em up n put them in a back in the baggie. or a mixed if theres alots of diffrent seeds.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

To my surprise, several established traders do this.
    Possibly it is a particular seed that they have never gathered and dried before. I would let them know that the seeds molded, as they would likely 'want' to know. I might even ask for replacements, if they happen to still have the seeds available.

I am fairly certain that I at one time or another sent out 'bad' seeds...well I can say I 'did' send bad butterfly bush seed pods that were harvested immature, thus they never opened to release a mature seed.

I don't harvest all that many different varieties of seeds, but have noticed fresh seeds posted of things that will not be 'ready' here in my zone for a long time. I kinda question if some of those seeds weren't harvested while they were still green, and thus immature, and would take a long time to dry, just to end up being nonviable.

Sue

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

I have only had the moldy seed problem a couple times,none so far this year,thank goodness. I agree the seeds should be packed in paper envies when fresh. I am hoping none of mine arrived moldy and if they did I would hope the person would tell me,I wouldnt want anyone to be out seeds because of my mistake!

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

It happens and it's just an accident. If you get moldy seeds from the Newbie Seed Project, just email me and let me know. I will pull the seeds (remember many are from donors) and replace them with fresh. It's cool.

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

I would tell them but make sure it comes out in a nice way. Does that make sense, lol. Many people don't know that you have to let the seed dry completely before putting in plastic.
    Even if there isn't mold, tiny amounts of moisture locked in a bag will kill seed. When I have seed that needs to go in a baggie, like poppy seeds, I keep then in an open container for at least a few weeks before transferring to a plastic baggie.
    Remy

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm mostly doing trades for edibles, so I think that might be why I'm getting more that are moldy. Veggies are more moist than flowers and many are much bigger/thicker seeds, so they might take longer to dry.

Thanks, everyone, for giving me your thoughts. It is interesting to hear what has happened, if anything, to others.

Sue, you wrote, "I... have noticed fresh seeds posted of things that will not be 'ready' here in my zone for a long time. I kinda question if some of those seeds weren't harvested while they were still green, and thus immature, and would take a long time to dry, just to end up being nonviable."

I am VERY new to this, but I have already wondered that very same thing. Hmmmmmmm is all I can say to that one. We all should be looking at this perhaps more closely before trading?

Blessings,
    Angela

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

If I had made a trade and my seeds were moldy, I'd definatley want to know. As Sue said, some of us are trying new seeds and may not be aware that they weren't completely dried. After all, isn't sharing and gathering info what this is all about?.."S'

• chrizty
    15 years ago

i agree id want to know too. im collecting seeds that are new to me this year, if i messed up id like to know to fix it n learn for next time.
    thats whats so great about GW were all gardeners sharing n learning with each other:)

• kms4me
    15 years ago

Like Sue, I have wondered the same thing concerning immature seeds. There is a trader who consistently offers Japanese maple seeds in the spring. Every reference I have consulted indicates that they are not ripe until the fall. That's why it's a good idea if possible to find out as much as you can about some of the more unique seeds being offered.

Though I doubt it's the case with the seeds Angela has been sent, there are some seeds that should not be allowed to dry out or they will not germinate, including many tree seeds and native woodland plants (most maples, carpinus aka musclewood, uvularia aka merry bells, aconitums, to name a few).

Kate

• graanieb
    15 years ago

I'm also the one wants to know right away, we're all learning. Not sure how my Night Blooming Seeds come out thru shipping if left in the white covering, as I've sent one pkt last week, wrapped seeds in the napkin, then put in the paper pkt and wrapped in more paper, making sure moisture doesn't come thru, emailed and wrote a note saying seeds got to be taken out right away to dry.
    I'm not sure if I send one pkt of NB Jasmine earlier, but a few days ago have made sure I let them dry out completely before sending, they're my most moisture containing seeds otherwise, also have to wait til my Sweet Autumn Clematis dries out, have lots of both.
    Blessings to Angela and all,
    Bea

• chrizty
    15 years ago

lol i had to look up info on maples. i have silver:)
    lots of mixed info. ill have to ask around about em thanks kms4me:)
    i cant see keeping them moist/damp. they sprout at the thought of water! lol they are on the winter sown list. n some can go dormat. lol i better ask:)