Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigred_gw

Slammed

bigred
14 years ago

I just got slammed on that "other" gardening website on the seed exchange. I was dumb struck. This lady is in a European country,she's made offers 3 x's in the past year I have turned down because they were seeds I didn't need(I have BOXES of seeds I traded for but didn't want to be nice and make someone else happy and the other time she only had a couple of seed var. I wanted(one were older seeds and research showed,the old seeds won't germinate and I had already tried old seeds from another trade)and I'm just plain not gonna waste postage to overseas on seeds I don't want or for only two packages. I wound up aplogizing and explaining myself to her( I don't know why,I was in shock) and she still presisted I was up to something hinky. I'm still upset as she did it in a public forum and now others are going to think I'm up to something funny every time I post there.

Rant over but now I've moved from shock/dumbstruck to P.O'ed.

Comments (16)

• squirrelspur
    14 years ago

I don't trade on the other website so I don't know what the other person said, but you seem pretty generous on this website. Anyone has the right to refuse a trade. I'm sure those who know you and those who understand trading won't think poorly of you, but of the other trader for baseless accusations.

I can understand how you would be upset but there's always people like that around, unfortunately.

squirrelspur

• jim_6b
    14 years ago

As far as I'm concerned there is no other website. You shouldn't feel obligated to trade with anyone if they don't have something you really want. If she can't understand then that's her problem. Tell her to piss off! There are enough people here at GW who have traded with you to know you are not up to something hinky.
    jim_6b

• bigred
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't do much trading over there but I do like to visit with the friends I made there.

I still keep up my memebership because I'm not a computer wiz and doing my trade page over there is much simpler for me to edit,add pictures and info.

Peggy

• kms4me
    14 years ago

I had a similar experience on GW several years ago.

Another trader kept requesting some of my rarest seeds and offering me things like marigolds and daisies. Not that I'm scornful of those, but they were not what I was looking for. She was very obnoxious and persistent and started trying to make me feel guilty that I wouldn't trade with her, and one day I finally got fed up and wrote her, "I don't want any of your common stuff!" She posted on GW only that part of our correspondence, not all the emails where I had been nice to her in declining trades. I was horrified that I would be seen as a mean, snobby, tactless person, and that future trades would be affected.

The only thing that happened was that a couple of people I'd traded with stepped up to defend me, said they knew me and were sure there was more to the story than what she was telling.

The thread was quickly pulled; however, she then started sending a copy of that email as 'a warning' to people I was setting trades up with through the GW forums--I know because some of them forwarded her emails to me. I was upset, but the traders thought it was sad and even kind of funny that someone would get that bent out of shape because I declined to trade with her. At any rate, it didn't hurt my trading status at all, and in the end showed that she was the mean and vindictive one.

Peggy, anyone who has dealt with you knows your character, and it would take a lot more than the ravings of one angry crackpot to hurt your reputation.

Kate

• bigred
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm trying to put it behind me.But I did make it clear on my trade page(s) that I was no longer trading for things I didn't want and absolutely no international trades...which I didn't like to do to start with because I've had more than one international trade confiscated.
    I can buy most all my seeds wholesale but more often even the smallest packages will be more than I need so I try to use the surplus to get other seeds I want w/o buying 100's into 1000's of seeds.

Kate...you have always been one of the best and most relable person I have ever traded with.

• littleonefb
    14 years ago

Peggy,

Try not to let it bother you. Trading is a choice, not a requirement. If someone doesn't want to trade, there is nothing wrong with it, especially if you have posted that you are only trading for your "wants" only".

I only do US trades and US BEAPS as well. I've had too many problems with international trades over the years as well.

I'm wiling to look at someone's list to do a trade, but make no promises about trading with them. if they have something I want listed, it's a trade. Otherwise I offer BEAP to them and it's their choice to take me up on the offer or not.

There are a few members that list that they are US traders on their member pages, and when the bubblie comes in the mail to send the BEAP seeds or you get their addy to do a trade, you will find it is a foreign mailing address.

That's when the e-mail goes out that I will not follow through with the trade or send the BEAP sees, as per my posting on my offers and on my trade page

US TRADES ONLY, US BEAP SEEDS ONLY. NO ACCEPTIONS

had a few that then complained, posted on my rate and review that I refused to trade or send seeds after sending me the bubblie and I've had to respond with the facts.
    GW is good about removing those kind of posts to a rate and review thread.

You are always going to find someone that doesn't accept the rules you set up for your trades or BEAP seeds It's the nature of the beast, so to speak.

Just ignore them and go on trading. There are far more good traders that really out way the bad ones and the complainers.

Fran

• bigred
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well,dawged if I didn't just get publicly taken to task by a newbee on my lastest post on the seed exchange for being restrictive and complicated.!!!!!?????!!!!!!

Peggy

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

I saw that! I just gotta shake my head in bewilderment and sort of chuckle though when I see someone sort of put their foot in their mouth in public like that.

Sorry you were taken to task, but just try and see the humor in it, like I did.

I wound up aplogizing and explaining myself to her( I don't know why,I was in shock) and she still presisted I was up to something hinky. I'm still upset as she did it in a public forum and now others are going to think I'm up to something funny every time I post there.
    Can't you get Dick to remove that attack post? I'd sure request it be deleted.

I quit subscribing to Dick's Garden years ago. So few members bothered to put up trade lists and the Exchange boards seem filled with members looking for stuff, with no lists, and seldom even any mention of having anything to trade. I often had things folks were looking for, but didn't want to get sucked into sending plants for postage, just because they didn't have anything I wanted/needed.

I don't like the way Dick's Garden does their exchange lists either since I learned a little HTML, and how to post my own thumbnail pics or pic links. What I would spend on membership fees can instead be spent on more seeds, postage, or daffs.

Sue

• bigred
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sue,
    Dick's Garden? Is that a typo or the way you feel about Dave?....LOL

I bow to your superior computer skills. I'm afraid after all these years I still know very little. The only way I know to fix a problem is to beat the stuffing out of the keyboard and mouse...lot of dead meese around here...he-he!Giima a wheelbarrow any day.

Peggy

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

Dick's Garden? Is that a typo or the way you feel about Dave?
    No, I saw the 'other place' referred to that a while back and thought it was sort of cute.

Hey, maybe later this winter when the snow is flying and WS is complete, and we are just waiting for spring, we can have a bit of a little HTML lesson here. Hey, if I can do it, anyone can.

On my Member Trade List, I prefer to use clickable links to pics, because there are still many members who are on dial-up. That way if anyone happens to be interested in seeing a pic, they can click on the linksand that way my page loads quickly for everyone. Some of the links go to pics I have actually taken, and others go to sites where the plant is sold and more info is provided on it. A win/win situation, IMHO.

Sue

• jim_6b
    14 years ago

Wow, Peggy you're just causing all kinds of trouble aren't you. I hope you know I'm just kidding!
    I read your requirements the other day and saw no problems with them. Very detailed, which I like. When I see a long list of requirements I don't look at them as being restrictive or complicated. Instead I see someone who has been trading and offering seed for a while and having to deal with "simple" minded people.
    jim_6b

P.S. Sue doesn't make typos.

• bigred
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well,Sue I may have to take you up on that offer but I warn you....I'm dumber than a box of mud...when it comes to computers...LOL

jim...LOL...ya made me smile again...Thanks.

P

• medontdo
    14 years ago

i have to agree, there is no other site like gw, although i do check on thegardengeeks sometimes, they are friendly, but by far this is the very best! **big smile** i like to see how people list their "rules" or "restrictions" it makes it easier to know how they like things sent, also you know how you will get things sent to you **big smile** life has been a whirlwind here the past few weeks!!
    Peggy i wouldn't pay no mind to that person! i think they call that manipulation or something like that, seeing how you are a really nice person she probably thought she could get you to bend or something! we don't do oversea's trades either. that's just crazy! the closest we come is puerto rico and canada. and of course that just isn't over seas! LOL well we do hawaii! LOL

• bigred
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have been communicating w/ young lady from gw that found me restrictive and complicated We have smooth everything over with no hard feelings. The other person on Dick's Garden can kiss my....foot...LOL

P

• dorisl
    14 years ago

Id like to know how you can be up to funny buzinezz by DECLINING a trade, usually peeps who are up to funnzy bizniz are MAKING trades thereby getting stuff without returning stuff.

geez

• bigred
    Original Author
    14 years ago

doris,
    Who knows...maybe they didn't have enough coffee that morning.

Peggy

Sponsored