Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardendee_gw

Need Advice/Idea for Plant Markers

gardendee
15 years ago

Have you bought several commercial plant markers touted to last for a long time and the next rain or the humidity erased all your hard work that you now can't tell which of your lilies are which?

Well, I had this problem over and over again and I am getting sick and tired.

Anyone have advice or ideas about plant markers that will not bleed or fade?

Humidity is one of the culprits in this marker fiasco. Anybody knows of humid-proof plant markers?

Thank you.

Comments (9)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

Hi Dee,

I like and use the Everlast zinc metal markers.
    Style C
    I bought 1000 of them a few years back, and see them as in investment in keeping track of the many named varieties of things I have accumulated (and still accumulate) over the years. The shipping is FREE! The plates are not very snug on the wires, so before using them, I crimp the plates a bit (with needle nose pliers) at the bottom to keep them tight and from sliding/falling off.

I also invested in a Brother p-touch labeler.
    There are numerous ones to be found that will print from 2-5 lines. I have found though that I, at the very most, will use 1-2 lines of print. Any more than that, and the lettering is too small to comfortably read, from a standing position) in the beds.

My labeler is similar to this except mine is a different model and will print up to 4 (maybe 5) lines. They take Brother TZ tapes that are expensive, but can often be found on ebay some cheaper than buying them elsewhere. I consider the markers and the labels to be as permanent as one can get.
    I lost the names to several daylilies and other things over the years...but no more!

Sue

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Hi Dee,
    I am trying something new this year, I am using miniblind slats with marker then I am putting clear packaging tape on them. I don't know how well it will work till next year, but it's cheap enough : )
    Vic

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

I have used the mini blind markers, and the magic marker fades. I ended up writing it on both ends of the blind, with one end in the ground and the other above ground. I found that the blind markers came out of the ground in the winter time with the many freezes and thaws...not a good thing to be used for numerous varieties of something in close proximity.

They have also gotten brittle and broken after a year or two. For the short term, they are great though. I have heard/read that plain pencil will not fade as badly as magic marker does on the blinds.

Sue

• retsec
    15 years ago

I used the permanent marker on my labels and it washed off. I now just use a plain pencil on the mini blind marker and so far, over a year on some, it has not washed off.

• luvsgrtdanes
    15 years ago

Hi Dee, the mini blinds work great for a season or two but like Sue said they do get brittle. If you are leaving them in place they will actually last a bit longer. I have had some going on 3 seasons. Pencil has never faded for me yet!! A charcoal one works a bit better and is darker.

I too love my label maker but save that for more permanent plants, as they are a bit expensive for the refills.

• chrizty
    15 years ago

ive used rocks, washed them off then used a permanent marker and clear spray paint.

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

This resembles Sue's idea, doesn't it? I really like the look of these...

{{gwi:32625}}

If I'm feeling crafty enough, I might could try to make one of these and use the label maker I have.... hmmmmmm

Blessings,
    Angela

• token28001
    15 years ago

mini blinds, plastic knives. Use a wax pencil or regular #2 lead for writing that won't wash off or fade unless rubbed.

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

I saw someone use aluminum cans cut open and then into the size of marker they wanted. Used some kind of tool to etch the name into the aluminum. Looks like it will last forever. Kim

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living