Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tkhooper

It's either all or nothing at all...

tkhooper
13 years ago

Have you noticed that when you look at someones wish list you either have almost everything on it or you don't have anything at all that is on it?

I've been looking at all the marvelous things offered but it's been interesting that either I can fulful most of their wants or none at all. Is this because of zone, or type of garden being grown? What are your thoughts on the subject?

Comments (2)

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago

Part of it is zonal or regional but it is also a function of garden personality and individual preferences. Sometimes you find someone that speaks your language, horticulturally speaking.
    Alana

• littleonefb
    13 years ago

There are lots and lots of reasons for what you are finding.

If the member is like myself, and been gardening for more than 30 years, then they have flower beds full of plants and they collect the seeds from those and probably don't have much of a need for the more common seeds and are looking for the more rare, hard to find, and new seeds that are available.

Some of it is, as Alana said, zonal or regional. Plants that grow well in your zone 8, may or may not grow well in my zone 5 in New England.
    I may be able to grow some or all of the plants that you do, but I don't want to, because they would have to be treated as an annual and i have more than enough seeds from various annuals already.

And of course there is the old "my likes vs your likes" in what we both are growing, or I already have all the seeds that you have for trades and looking for other things.

There's also the issue of how you start your seeds and whether you are starting them under lights or starting them with the wintersowing method. (if you haven't already checked out the wintersowing forum, then you should check it out).

When you sow your seeds under lights, it limits you to the number of seeds you can start, depending on the space that you have and your setup.

Now if you use the wintersowing method to start your seeds, then you can start as many seeds and types of seeds as you want to, your available space can be endless.

In my case, I have been gardening for more than 30 years, have so many seeds collected from my own plants, and from 7 years of seed trading, that there are very few seeds that I am looking for. The ones that I usually look for are the ones that are less common, rare and hard to find seeds.

I winter/spring sow all my seeds, nothing is ever started indoors under lights, and I will generally have at least 75-100 different types of seeds started, including annuals, perennials and veggies.

So, the reasons are varied and never the same for all members. It's just the way it goes.

Fran

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner