Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agirlsgirl

Why does our Dianthus 'Sooty' not bloom?

agirlsgirl
14 years ago

Hi all! I was wondering if anyone has had this experience before. Michelle,jacoblily,and myself ws'ed Dianthus 'Sooty' last season expecting blooms this year. Well we both are having the same experience,they aren't blooming! The plants are strong and growing great,but no blooms! I sowed another marked only "black Dianthus" and they bloomed like crazy,they are located right next to my 'Sooty'.Anyone have a clue to what maybe going on here? Any help would be very much appreciated! :)

~Angie

Comments (6)

• SusanC
    14 years ago

I'd like to know too. I started mine in 2007 and still haven't gotten blooms. I have been wondering if it is in too much shade; It gets about 5 hours of direct sun.

• squirrelspur
    14 years ago

Mine is in full sun and it blooms every year in the spring.

squirrel

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    14 years ago

I have one planted in part shade. It is a bit dry there (need to move it...) but blooms very well every spring.

Sometimes there is isn't any good reason why a plant does not bloom. I had the same trouble with a Phlomis (not even started from seed, but a nursery plant); it did not bloom for three years. Then I moved it this spring and it bloomed. Lol, go figure!

Give it another year. If it doesn't bloom by then you should consider moving it.
    CMK

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your responses. I think we are going to just let them be and see what happens. It is so strange to me,they both are getting plenty of sun,and we have never had an issue with dianthus blooming before! Who knows! Thanks again!
    ~Angie

• medontdo
    14 years ago

how about fertilizer, or the bloom stuff angie? does it have enough? i give my stuff in the spring one gallon of tea made with real sugar. and also one tablespoon of epson salt. huge heaping!! i do that with my roses and all of my plants. they absolutely LOVE it!! **big smile** ~medo

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

Add me to the list of non blooming dianthus sooty, I thought it was me!

Lisa