Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why does our Dianthus 'Sooty' not bloom?

Posted by agirlsgirl 6 SW-PA (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 7, 09 at 11:52

Hi all! I was wondering if anyone has had this experience before. Michelle,jacoblily,and myself ws'ed Dianthus 'Sooty' last season expecting blooms this year. Well we both are having the same experience,they aren't blooming! The plants are strong and growing great,but no blooms! I sowed another marked only "black Dianthus" and they bloomed like crazy,they are located right next to my 'Sooty'.Anyone have a clue to what maybe going on here? Any help would be very much appreciated! :)
~Angie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why does our Dianthus 'Sooty' not bloom?

• Posted by susanc Z9/Sunset 17 CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 7, 09 at 12:56

I'd like to know too. I started mine in 2007 and still haven't gotten blooms. I have been wondering if it is in too much shade; It gets about 5 hours of direct sun.

o

Mine is in full sun and it blooms every year in the spring.

squirrel

o

I have one planted in part shade. It is a bit dry there (need to move it...) but blooms very well every spring.

Sometimes there is isn't any good reason why a plant does not bloom. I had the same trouble with a Phlomis (not even started from seed, but a nursery plant); it did not bloom for three years. Then I moved it this spring and it bloomed. Lol, go figure!

Give it another year. If it doesn't bloom by then you should consider moving it.
CMK

o

Thanks for your responses. I think we are going to just let them be and see what happens. It is so strange to me,they both are getting plenty of sun,and we have never had an issue with dianthus blooming before! Who knows! Thanks again!
~Angie

o

how about fertilizer, or the bloom stuff angie? does it have enough? i give my stuff in the spring one gallon of tea made with real sugar. and also one tablespoon of epson salt. huge heaping!! i do that with my roses and all of my plants. they absolutely LOVE it!! **big smile** ~medo

o

Add me to the list of non blooming dianthus sooty, I thought it was me!

Lisa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here