Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Goofy squirrels

Posted by dorisl 5 NW Chicago burbs (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 30, 08 at 12:47

I left my Gingko fruits on the patio, cuz they are too stinkgo to keep in the house.

The goofy squirrels came by and stole them all!

They were kinda funny, cuz they were stipping the flesh off and making all kind of faces at them and took the seeds with. They left the stinkgo flesh on the table.

I wonder where they will plant them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Goofy squirrels

I wonder where they will plant them.
I don't know, but I sure would not want a fruiting tree anywhere near my house or property. They have got to be the nastiest smelling tree there is, and I often wonder if folks are aware of that when they plant seeds.

Are there male and female trees, or are they self pollinating, or do you know? I'd sure be disappointed if I started 'one' from seed, and it turned out to have the stinky fruit on it once it grew and matured enough.

o

LOL...Doris you always make me smile! :)

It will be interesting to see where you will have Gingko I am sure,I find Maples,Oaks and Walnuts popping up in strange places,funny thing about the Walnut,I have no clue where this tree is..lol..

My elementary school had Gingko tress lining the front lawn,I remember no one spent much time there when the fruit dropped...lol..

I watched the Chickadees go at my Mammoth Sunflowers all day long,watched them take the seeds to the pine trees and hide them and watched them pull the Mammoth seeds out of Coneflower heads where they decided at one point to be a good hiding place! But what really had me laughing my butt off, was when I opened a Marigold seed head to check the seed, and there was a Mammoth seed right in the center, all nestled in for safe keeping! I was transplanting something out of a cup and found Mammoth seeds stuffed in the drainage holes.....lol.. Looks like I wont be short on sunflowers next year!...lol..

The critters really do keep things interesting,there are some real characters in nature! :)

o

• Posted by dorisl 5 NW Chicago burbs (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 31, 08 at 23:53

Its fun to watch the white crowned sparrows in the spring, they do a little dance scritchin and scratchin thru the leaf mulch.

:)

Sue, I have NO IDEA if they are mail and female trees. DH takes Ginkgo supplements and says the capsules are pretty rank also when they break.

o

Sue, I have NO IDEA if they are mail and female trees.

Well at the link below one can read all about them.

There are male and female trees, so if one did not want the mess and smell of the fruit, they could just plant one tree, and hope that it is either a male, or a female and that there are no male trees close.

I do have to admit, it is a very pretty tree, and has a great history.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: THE GINKGO PAGES

o

• Posted by bakemom z6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 1, 08 at 19:54

I have a female. She is beautiful, but produces stinky fruit. The first year I thought it was dog poop on someone's shoe. Now, I am used to it and accept it as part of the the tree's charm. It's my understanding that there is no way to know if you have a male or a female until they fruit. I took a ton of saplings to our swap this spring and they all went to happy homes.

I love this tree regardless of the smell which now I am used to. I have two boys in college who come home and fart around the house worse than a tree, so where do you draw the line?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here