Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quick Q: Postage for 5x7?

Posted by rain2fall 8/Oregon (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 26, 09 at 13:44

I have a quick question. When I send a 5x7 SASBE with stamps and a label inside, how much postage do I need to put on the outside? I don't have a scale so I don't know if it goes over one ounce.

Rain2Fall

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quick Q: Postage for 5x7?

It should be $.88 to send an 'empty' bubble envelope.

o

Thanks. Is it the same for 4x6 and 6x7 sizes?

o

They should both be the same. I think the price applies to most bubble envelopes--up to 12x15 I think.

o

Some post offices won't mail them for that. Joplin, MO 64804 wanted $1.22 from me. I said it was a large envelope; she said it was a parcel. Goodman, MO calls them large envelopes.

o

Check the link below, posted on conversation side of this forum.

It provides all the info you need for the cost of mailing bubble envelopes

Fran

Here is a link that might be useful: mailing costs for Bubble Envelopes (BE)

o

I know what is correct, but that didn't help at Joplin.

o

my mailman told me it was 1.05 for 1oz which is what the envelope (bubbler) weighs and double it if you put any thing in it like seeds or any thing over by a fraction. He said the little note inside didn't count. So when I send out an sasbe with a small note,stamps and label in it I put 1.05 on it and if they are sending me seeds I double the amount of stamps to mail it back. If they need more then they should tell you that you owe them so much and you can re-imburse them. We had a long talk about this so I figure he knows what he is talking about!!!

o

my mailman told me it was 1.05 for 1oz which is what the envelope (bubbler) weighs
Your mailman is mistaken. An empty bubble envelope weighs under one ounce, but the correct postage for 1 OZ and under is 88 cents.

and double it if you put any thing in it like seeds or any thing over by a fraction.
Again mistaken. Numerous small packs of small seeds can be sent for 1 OZ or less. A 2 OZ package, if the seeds are evenly distributed so there are no bulges, and no shifting is $1.05. It is not necessary to put $1.05 on an empty envelope, or to put $2.10 on an envelope for return unless there are 8 OZ (that's 1/2 LB!) if it can go as a Large Envelope, or 6 OZ if it is thick and bulging and going as a Parcel.

See the link above for rates and explanation.

Anyone who has a Post Office overcharging them should speak with the Post Master and explain the Shape Based pricing to them that went into effect over 2 1/2 years ago. It is high time they learned what the correct amount is for Bubble envelopes. They are not all parcels.

Sue

o

I need to go to the post office close to my work and see if they are still over charging. The last time I was there they said all bubble envelopes were considered parcels. I know that's wrong but there's no fighting them. My only other choice is to ckeck my local P.O. here in Pleasant View. Maybe they are smarter.
I have 1200 packs of seed ready to send out so I need to get this issue resolved quickly otherwise I will have to ask people to send more return postage than is actually needed.
I'm twitchin witcha Sue!
jim-6b

o

My post office told me that those bubble envelopes are considered parcel and are $1 to start. (more than that but my brain is asleep)
what about a reg envelope with bubble wrap around the seeds? would that be ok with everyone? ?

o

My post office told me that those bubble envelopes are considered parcel and are $1 to start. (more than that but my brain is asleep)
They probably quoted you $1.22 for up to a 1 OZ Parcel. They are stealing from you! They are ignorant of what they should be charging. They have been stealing from their customers since May 2007 when the new Shape Based pricing started!

what about a reg envelope with bubble wrap around the seeds? would that be ok with everyone? ?
It would not be all right with a lot of traders here and some even say so on their Member Trade Pages. A regular envelope is flimsy and is easily torn, particularly if padding is added, making it bulging and uneven. It would also be over 1/4" thick at least, and would require at minimum of 88 cents, and probably more, since the padding would not be evenly distributed.

The best solution is to address the matter with your Post Master and if there is no resolution, then post back here, and I can direct you to other resources to hopefully get them straightened out.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here