Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The growing season is really over

Posted by kms4me z4 MN (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 9, 10 at 3:01

Most of the vegetation has been cut back, with the exception of those laden with seeds for the birds, or those with particular winter interest. I have started putting pot shards over the cactus and lewisias to prevent winter wet, wrapped about half of the Japanese maples, mulched the cyclamen, cleaned up the vegetable gardens. The days are much shorter, with daylight Savings Time, the sun is setting well before 5 p.m.

All the signs are there, but what really indicates to me that winter is imminent and growing is done(other than seeds, thank you for seeds!) is that, single, sad, unavoidable fact: I washed dishes, dried my hands, and alas! my last callus is gone, the one on my left hand, the "load-bearing" callus on my ring finger, the one that bears the weight of the shovel or the fork or the rake...

It truly is about to be winter.

kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The growing season is really over

Ok,since your done there....come finish up mine...*G*

Peggy

o

LOL Mine needs finished up too hehe.
Yep its over. the hard work atleast. nows the time to work on the garden notebook n dream about next year..
wont be long till we can start wintersowing :)

o

Hey I found that when the growing season is over is when the work really begins. All the work to get ready for next year and all the strange possiblitys. This time of the year I really enjoy, ALL THE FRESH AIR, COOL WEATHER, AND LORD HELP ALL THE SORE MUSCLES ouch.

o

ok Yep its really over, I cant see my yard from all the snow! so...when dose it begin again????? LOL I WANT SPRING!! I wanna see green again! I wanna see all my new daffs bloom! I want all the birds back,I want warm weather LOL.
Mickey Ill take sore muscles over freezin muscles right now. wait I have sore freezin muscles from shoulving my drive way. ;(
I have started wintersowing, n worked alil on my notebook.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here